Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Eine kleine nacht licht

Guest R_Driscoll

(with apologies to Mozart).Jon and I have solved the night lighting problem. I knew he would. But to be fair, the credit belongs to Tomi Lehto again - he solved night lighting about four hundred thousand years ago but I just didn't find it - in a little package about lighting runway/taxiway signs at night. I have adapted his method, and now any scenery object can be night lit quite well. I will give technical details in the next tutorial version of making scenery - its not hard but its got some messy bits to explain to do with reversing palette directions and only 32 colours working - all yellow. But if anyone else is making models and needs the details urgently, email me!So I am making Heathrow version 3 with night lighting, (and bugs fixed), and hope to have this ready by next week!This for me is the greatest news since transparency! But one little problem - I can't seem to get night lighting AND transparency working at the same time.Yyyeeeehhhhaaaaa (as Mozart would say)Rob D.

Guest R_Driscoll

Not in the same way, because scenery models use the directories linked to regions such as GEN, but the aircraft AI models are in RES files. So it depends on whether FU3 have allocated texture space for the night lighting.Also, its not just 32 colours - its a full palette of 256 colours, but for some strange reason only 32 are different! I.e you have the first 8 as black, the next 8 as faint yellow, next 8 as slightly brighter yellow etc. So FU3 has a day palette and a night palette - and it chooses which one to use based on time of day and model location. So to make night lighting work, I paint the model in night lighting, then make a MIP of the painting file (from GIF format), then copy the model (in BIN format) and the night lighting MIP file across to GENLITEMAPS. Well it works.I don't know enough about the structure of the AI planes textures - so I don't know if it will work for them or not.But its very effective for models - the results look excellent. Hope to upload something on this next week. Aufwiedersehn!Rob D.

Guest DLM

Okay, a complicated process i understand.It seems there

I remember that Tomi wrote how to add lights to windows in the airplanes, but I don't know if it works in FU3.B.Adamski

Guest jonpoint

The 'night light' process only appears to work with static models. My attempts at getting lights in planes to work have not been very fruitful! The problem is that FU3 doesn't handle reflections in the graphics so, if you place a light inside the cockpit, it doesn't reflect off the insides. This means you cannot see it until the light is in full view - then it looks like someone put a bleedin' searchlight in the cockpit :-fumeThat said, my racing pylons are now floodlit at night :-kewlBogdan, could you try and dig up that piece by Tomi? I would still be interested in reading it! Maybe there's some clues there, even if we cannot use them for cabin lights. Thanks.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************