Sign in to follow this  

Is ATIS at it?

Hi,Just a quick question. Is the ATIS linked at all to the flight time/weather setup? I just tried three times to set up a flight in sunny conditions at 14.45, with 75f on the thermometer. I then clicked accept and went to the plane. Tuned in ATIS to be told one time that it was 10.15, -15 and partly cloudy, another time that it was 22.22, 5f and some cloud at 3000'. I checked the season and I have it set to summer time. The thing is I think she may be right, coz there was no blue sky and the sun was pretty low in the sky. Am I doing something wrong between setting up the conditions for the flight and actually entering the plane? Like I said I just clicked on Accept and away it went!Any one put me out of my misery :)Duke

Guest glidernut

Hi Duk,When you are in your aircraft, you can change the time by moovingthe sun and moon to where ever you want.Do it by presing the keys d and sDoing it this way, you can see what your geting.I not know wat ATIS is.glidernut. :-wave

Guest glidernut

Hi Duk,Sory for calling you Duk, I carnt spel Duke. :-wave

Thanks Glidernut for the help - and don't worry about the spelling. Being understoos is all that counts anyway :)Cheers!Duk

John,ATIS is short for AIR TRAFFIC INFORMATION SERVICE. If you ask for taxi instructions when sat in your plane at a tower controlled airport, the controller will ask you to "monitor ATIS". This service provides the pilot with information regarding temperature, barometric pressure, active runway.......etc.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Are thats why I know nuthing about the ATIS.One needs to us the wiyerles for that.I never use the wiyerles, its fall of peopl shouting at me.Iv tried tuneing it to other stashons, but I carnt get anymusic on it.I think its busted.But I have found a way of playing my favret music withoutcuming out of FU3,I pres the "Pause Break" key, at the top right corner of the key bord.This porses FU3 and givs me axes to the desktop, where I canput another record on. glidernut. :-wave

Guest R_Driscoll

No no Glidernut, Open you cockpit window and frisbee your record out into the sunshine. You have got to learn to talk to the nice people on the ground. They're down there, giving you all sorts of exciting information and wonderful news, and you're listening to music? Isn't the sound of the wind enough?You know that you complained about the windsocks being too small? Think of ATIS as a windsock in your cockpit.Now go and read your manual and stop listening to that dreadful Beatles group. They won't come to anything, I assure you.Rob D.

enough with this pantomime :) what about an answer to my question?????Duke

Guest jonpoint

Duke,Nah, the ONLY thing you can believe out of FU3 ATIS is the runway info. I've never heard the correct time, or any barometer setting than 29.92. On a long listen, I've heard the time change but my attempts to relate this to GMT or local time (in FU3) made no sense. Anyone else?Oh, and that if you DON'T listen to it first, tower will tell you to do so. So it's more of a procedural thing than REAL info I think :-( At least it tells you which runway to prepare to land at (or to taxi to, even though tower will tell you anyway?) :-hahI have actually heard ATIS say that the airport was closed once, when I was trying to create the worst weather possible for a takeoff in the 747 - I think I went too far with the weather generation!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Thanks for the info Jon. Seems a pity they couldn't have at least tied the atis to an approx time of day and weather setting. :(Duke