Sign in to follow this  
Guest glidernut

Faze,s of the moon?

Guest glidernut

I am trying to make a weather file for the Uk-Southuseing Weather Unlimited.I want it to be day time with the sun as high as posibland with the moon as full as posibl and visibl at thesame time, day time.Is there anyone out there that knows the faze,s of the moon inuf to say wat munth & day & time of day this situation will be at its most prominant?I like to see the moon in the day, it looks good.glidernutUK

John,It is impossible to have a full moon and the sun in the sky together........for obvious reasons. I would suggest a phase of either first quarter (Moon to the east of the Sun) or last quarter (Moon to the west of the Sun). These "quarter" phases would actually show HALF of the visible hemisphere of the Moon (but only a quarter of the entire Moon). At these times, the Moon is roughly 90 degrees away from the Sun. That means that you could not have the Sun halfway across the sky, since the Moon would then be very close to the horizon (unless that is what you would like).If you are confused by this, then let me know. I will try to explain a bit more when I have the time :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris,You sergest the first quarter or the last quarter phase of the moon.Either one will do, but wat munth and day of the munth is this finominum at its most prominant.Can you "or anyone" giv me a date?The weather screen in UK-South Is out off order.I need numbers fore the weather unlimited program.Glidernut.

John,Does FU3 work from accurate calculations, based on real world dates and times ? If so, then the next first quarter Moon is actually TODAY (February 9), and the next last quarter Moon is on February 23. You would need to experiment with the time of day in FU3 to get a position for both Sun and Moon that satisfies your requirements.However, you may want to select a date in the summer. This would enable both objects to be considerably higher in the sky than at any time in February. If that is the case, then I would suggest June 7 for first quarter, and June 21 for last quarter.Let me know if this works.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris, Yes it works,(June 7 & June 21 & February 9 & February 23) Thay all put the moon and sun inthe sky at the same time. See snap-shot in UK-South.Thanks Chris.Now how do I moov the sun & moon apart more, so that the moon is as full as posibl?>Does FU3 work from accurate calculations, based on real world dates and times ?I dont know fore shoower, but I think it dus, and thats paret of the problem.You carnt change one thing without changeing everything els.To do the simplist of things useing the Weather Unlimited program. You need to be an expert in weather.An expert in the fazes of the moon.And an expert in how the Latitued and Longtitued afect fazes of the moon.Its the Latitued and Longtitued of where the fazes of the moon is seen from,(that is nub of the problem).I think I will have to resort to tryal and errer and hope to fiend wat I,mlooking fore by chance.glidernutUK

John,What date is the screenshot based on ? The Moon is only a slender crescent here, which is why it is so close to the Sun in the sky. However, the most obvious error is the apparent size of the Moon. It is FAR TOO LARGE ! The Moon and the Sun are in reality almost exactly the same apparent size as seen from Earth (which is why total solar eclipses are so spectacular), but it appears that FU3 suffers from the same problem as FS2002.God, I hated saying that :-)With respect to getting the Moon as full as possible, you would need both the Sun and Moon to be near the horizon, but exactly opposite each other in the sky. For example, if the Sun is setting in the west, the Moon will be just rising in the east. If you try June 14, the geometry should be pretty close.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Chris,We can all have wat ever size of moon we want by changing the numbers of this line in the cfg filemoon_size 0.2So FU3 dus not suffer from the same problem as FS2002.God, I like saying that.Yes, June 14 should be pretty close, but its not. its a bit beter than in the snap-shot but not as far apart as it shoula be.All thees dates give the sam as the snap-shot June 7 & June 21 & February 9 & February 23 I think the geometry of the FU3 fazes of the moon only work properly in Seattle.A change in Latitued Or longtitued skroos up the geometry. glinernutUK

I have sun/moon size = 0.03 that seems to be close to the real angular(?) size.B.Adamski