Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

Please help - I need a VOR rose

Guest Quaxo

I want to add the VFR "roses" to the FU3 UK map. I don't know the exact name, but look at the attached file: I need one of those, but without all the background image. This way, I can overlay it on the existing map, in the proper locations. I have been searching for a "clean", black and white VFR rose to scan, but couldn't find any. If someone has one, and can send it to me via email or post it here, I would try to put it into the map... This would help IFR flying in the UK! It should be quite high-res if possible, at least 500x500 pixels, to give good results in the scaling/rotating process...Cristian

Guest Staggerwing

See if this one will help you at all Cristian... of course you can remove my wording for your use :-) If not.. let me know and I'll come up with something you CAN use..Okay...well Avsim seems to be just painfully slow with this upload (as in will not do it) so I'll try again in a little while :-)Now let's see if even this post will work..

Guest Quaxo

Hello Stag,Thanks - that might work I think. But just to be sure... :) Do you have a version with a "thicker" outer circle? That way I would be sure that it keeps "continuous" even after resizing (without white interruptions). But if you don't have it don't worry, I'll hand-edit this one a little! And as for your wording inside... I think I'll replace it with the actual VOR's name and frequency! ;-)Thanks again...Cristian

Guest juvat2

Hi Cristian,Hopefully you all will find this useful. I made this from the Fu3 Seattle nav map last summer. Couldn't master transparency. I couldn't get the center dial and the numbers to show, all the rest would paste on a map fine,so gave up on it. If you get it fixed, could you send me a copy? Thanks, Take care,Jim B.

Guest Quaxo

Jim, actually, I found a use for your image. I had to heavily edit it though. I made two versions, one good for the big and medium map, and one for the small map. I had to do this because just resizing made the numbers unreadable; and I had to fill white areas with black... I'll post a picture as soon as I have put the first VOR...Cristian

Guest Quaxo

Here are the screenshot of how this works out... There's a problem though: there are too many VORs. So, the "roses" overlap badly. I can either let them overlap (just being careful that the frequencies are readable); or remove the frequences/names, for a clearer look; or remove the rose, and only leave the tiny "mark" in the middle. This would be needed only in the "small" map (the zoomed out one), I think in the bigger maps there is enough room... What do you think?Cristian

Guest Staggerwing

Just wanted to make sure you have what you need now before I re-posted a better version of my offering..You all set now ?

Guest juvat2

Hi Cristian,I think you've done an excellent job with the compass roses. I suspect your dilemma with overlap could improve were you to make them grey outlined with white as the original LG ones are. The "black" seems to "swamp-out" the ajoining/over-lapping compass rose texture and surrounding map textures. Though I like very much how you have the transparencies. Could you email me a "compass rose transparency for dummies tutorial"? I promise I won't tell you called me a dummy. I use PSP 7, PhotoShop 7, and Corel 10. What program did you use to fix the 'Roses?How are you fellas working in the England Hi-res map? Is it an "import" with Gideons Resviewer to replace the Seattle and SF maps while flying in Hi-res England region? Zoom-able within Fu3 where the all the icons would show, or is it a "stand-alone" map? Yep, many questions, I do have. Sorry.You all take care,Jim B.

Guest Quaxo

Hello Jim,The problem is that I'm a real dummy myself with paint programs - read on and you'll discover. So, here's what I did... (I use PSP 7)I noticed that your picture's lines were too "thin" to be much resizable; so, first I added contrast and reduced brightness. So I could resize it. But it still wasn't good for the extreme resize needed for the small map; so I filled the "inside" of the outer ring with black.Then, I had to rotate it; but then, the numbers were rotated too. So I removed the old numbers and added my own. I also removed the "inside circle", as it would have made the rose too "heavy".Then, here's what I do to apply the image: I don't know how to use transparencies; so I just took the base map (without any markings); I increased the color depth to 16 million colors; then, I copied/pasted the rose as a new layer. So I can move it over the background. To make it transparent, I just used "multiply" as a blending method; this way, the white becomes transparent, and the overall result is quite good. For the text, I created a vector layer, so I can put all the text in a single layer.I can't make the roses gray-outlined, because I use the "multiply" blending mode. I can experiment a bit, I can make them less "opaque" (more transparent) but that's almost it.For the bigger maps, there was no need to "fill" the ring with black, as it was well resizable as it was.As for your last question, I'm not sure I understood it... Are you talking about the in-flight map? If yes, it's contained inside the resreg.res file. The file contains 12 images; one for each zoom level (3) and one for each "mode": natural, with VORs, with airspaces, and with both (4); and 3x4=12. And yes, the icons will show, and they'll be almost exactly aligned. In the max zoom level they appear slightly misaligned, but not much. And it should be fixable by wise editing of the region.cfg file :) !Anyway, if you need a copy of my "converted" roses, I'll send them to you (I have 3, one for each zoom level) but they don't have transparency. Sorry... ;-)Cristian

Guest Quaxo

Hi Stag,I think I can use what I have now. If I need some more help, I'll ask! Thanks again for your picture! ;-)Cristian