Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Good news for FU3'ers with Radeon 9700/9500 series

ATI has released version 3.1 of their Catalyst driver software. One of the new features is support for FSAA at 16bit on Radeon 9700/9500 cards.FSAA at 16bit was not possible before on those cards, because the advanced FSAA method required 32bit. It seems ATI has now figured out a way to do it in 16bit.It's now possible to play FU3 with up to 6x FSAA on the Radeon cards and it looks SWEET combined with 16x Aniso :)Here are some shots.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest twsimfan

Jimmi,Great news... thanks much! :-sun1

Guest twsimfan

Jimmi,Great stuff. I do notice that for the 1st time I am getting the famous line across the panel that the Nvida guys are always "bragging about". ;-) It only seems to be 1 or 2 pixels high... I didn't even notice it on my 1st flight (using the Renegade)... I'll take it for the great 6X FSAA! :)http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e4d0fab42a7577e.jpgI also see in the release notes that these drivers fix issues with 3 games that just arrived yesturday that I haven't even installed yet... good timing eh? :)I wonder if I can now re-install and run CFS3 without lockups. Hmmm :-hmmmThanks again! :-sun1

Tom,So that line appears even when using the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro ? I thought that this was only something that affected GeForce graphics cards.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Interesting.Could someone please post a screenshot in cocpit "F3 view" with theFSAA at 16bit for Radeon 9700/9500 cards??My Voodoo 5 card will not last forever, and I would like too see how this really is.:-hmmm Lars Peter.

Guest twsimfan

Chris,Me too. I had no line until these new drivers. But the drivers also allow me to make full use of my 6X Anti-Aliasing and 16X Anisotropic Filtering... not a bad trade. The line I'm seeing is only 1 or 2 pixels high (1024X768 resolution)... I didn't even see it on the first flight I made with the Renegade. I'll have to play with it... maybe a different resolution would remove the line... but I can live with it for graphics that look this great!

Guest twsimfan

Lars,I have a couple of things I need to do right now but I'll get you some shots in an hour or so.

Guest twsimfan

Lars,I still have to do some more testing but here are a few pics:I still don't see a line on the Renegade's panel...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e4d44e4496261a7.jpgbut looking to the right shows one...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e4d450a49f44a0a.jpgnot too bad but it is there... onto the BeechJet...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e4d45574b5da633.jpgno line here either... I dont't suggest Ranger Creek as a base for the BJ... :-lolhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e4d45764bdc2711.jpgThe Mooney has one that is plain to see... got to do some more testing! :)

I don't remember seeing that line on my Voodoo5 even when using FSAA, but it was there on my Geforce3 and on my 9700 Pro. Strange.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thank you for the cockpit shots.This seems mutch better than the Geforce cards. I did buy it myself but seeing the performance in FU3 I gave it away to my son, and reinstalled the Voodoo5. Pathetic isn't it?So may be I will upgrade to this Videocard to have a good allround performance.- for both old and new software.This shot is my current settings with V5:

Guest twsimfan

Jimmi,No, there was never a line on my V5... it has always been an Nvida (GeForce) deal. I never had one on my 9700 Pro either until these drivers... but they do marvelous things for the FSAA. I'll take that trade but I'm not to sure but what I might be able to fix it. I have to work with it some more. It looks as if adjusting the rectangles might fix it... also some other settings... I have to think this one over. In the mean time I'm thrilled to have FSAA back for FU3! :)

Guest twsimfan

Lars,The V5 has always been a great card for FU3. The problem is all those new sims that wont work with it. I still have my V5 in my old system and will have it up and running soon for some older software.

Tom/Jimmy.Thank you for the info.This videocard is so far the best allround i have seen so far.I am sure we can discuss it forever.What is new today is already too old in only two months.However I'll go for a new card that will run both new and old softwareas good as possible for as long as possible with high performance.New software is not always the best.Thanks.Lars Peter.:-wave