Sign in to follow this  
Guest Quaxo

VOR roses added - but I need help on import

Guest Quaxo

I have finished adding the VOR roses (see attachments). The "small", zoomed out map is quite messy - you can see the VOR identifiers and frequencies, but the central area is "saturated". But if you zoom in, things become clearer... Anyway, this is the best I could do, and I think it's better than nothing.But I have a serious problem: when I try to import them in the resreg.res file, ResViewer gives me this error: "Error#1117: Bitmap dimensions must be multiple of 2". But the image dimensions and bitdepth are the same than the original images! I also tried exporting an image and then reimporting it at once, and I had the same error. So, it must be a ResViewer bug... How can I do? Andr

Guest Motormouse

Hi Cristian,I notice that you've made the military TACAN beacons show as VOR's,for example,SAT,VLN,BDN,FFA,LYE,CVR,SMG,BZN,BNN,ODH.Its a 'technical point',but UK civil aircraft are not allowed to usethese beacons for primary navigation,(you can use them to get a range/bearing fix to find out where you are,but you're not allowed to use them as part of a route plan), this is because legal ownership of the military beacons rests' with 'the military', and the CAA/NATS is therefore not responsible for their serviceabilityand correct operation.the military can choose to switch on/off the beacons at any time, and do not have to tell anyone else about it!!For example, At Cardiff, our nearest official vor is BCN,117.45, even though SAT is only 3 miles away !If you want to 'de-clutter' the map you would be quite right to delete the roses (but leaving the VORTAC symbol) at those locations.Blackbushe,BLC and Fairoaks,FRK are civil use DME only,a enhanced NDB (similar to TACAN , but has no bearing signal) beacon,providedbecause both these airports are within London TMA,and have set inbound/outbound traffic procedures.Hope this helps:-wavePete

Guest Quaxo

Hi Pete,I didn't know about that. I just used a list of VOR navaids I extracted from FS2000 (!). If you give me an exact list of which roses to delete, I'll try to just leave the "center sign" and the frequency (but I'm not sure if I can do it before finishing the update disc).And anyway, I still have to fix the import problem... the maps are ready, but I can't use them! :-(Cristian

Guest ChrisD

Hi, Pete (and Quaxo can read too :-) )Just to make things a little more fuzzy we here in Denmark have VOR/TAC's. Just outside my 'home' town Aalborg we have a VOR/TACAN station. As You correctly stated, TACANs are Military and is outside reach of Civil control.However, here the TACAN part regarding the bearing has been doubled by a VOR as well. This way both mill. and civil A/C's can have both Bearing and DME.If You have these 'beasts' in UK too, I will try to dig out an old Aeronautical Map to check the symbols.Just to add to the fuzz ;-)Chris

Guest Motormouse

Hi Chris, and Cristian too,VORTAC's (combined VOR/TACAN) are more common in the USA if I remember rightly :-), but there are several in mainland europe, especially at combined military/civil airfields.According to Avsim's charts (from the link on the front page :-) ) there isn't a VORTAC station within the area that Quaxo has created, but I'll cross check with the UK South maps that we have at work to be sure. :-)Cristian,those military tacan stations I listed in my first post are all of them within your area :-),SAT(St Athan),VLN (Yeovilton),BDN (Boscombe Down),FFA (Fairford),LYE (Lyneham),CVR (Chivenor),SMG (St Mawgan),BZN (Brize Norton),BNN (Benson),& ODH (Odiham)the one at Chivenor, CVR,though, has been deactivated since the airbase there closed for full time use,it may be switched on whenthe airfield is being used.:-wavePete

Guest Quaxo

Pete,I tried removing those TACAN's roses as you said, but I'm not satisfied with the result. First, the map doesn't get "uncluttered", because most of those TACANs aren't in the central part; and second, I couldn't obtain a nice visual effect... Maybe I'll just put these maps in the update disc, and leave other things for a future update... One thing I can do though: I can make those roses "dimmer", less sharp, or maybe in a different color. Could be a good compromise...Cristian

Guest Quaxo

So here's what I did: I "dimmed" the TACAN roses further; and I made the text yellow for them. So you can tell at once if it's a VOR or a TACAN. I'll add a readme file to explain this...Yellow was missing from the palette though, so I had to regenerate and reimport the palette too! :)Pete: For the BNN TACAN, you said it's called "Benson". But on my map it's called Bovingdon, and Benson doesn't exist. Who is right? :)Cristian