Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

GeeBee R2 V1.0 release

I have dabbled into flight dynamics editing and with the help of Jon and Ansgar I've managed to implement Ansgar's recommendation://windTorqueCoeffloat 0.4, //frictionConstCoeffloat 150.0, However, the main reason for my problems is rather embarrassing. I assumed that the GeeBee had a fixed propeller and I failed to advance the prop for take-off and flying. It's amazing it took off and flew at all! My landing problems were due to this low prop pitch since a prop that "bites smaller slices of air" is more efficient on idle. The aircraft will taxi faster but normally it won't have enough "bite" to take off and climb. Well, the GeeBee does. With the prop fully advanced I get the expected sink rate for landing and even have to throttle up a bit to dampen the sink rate on short final. After several hours of flying the GeeBee more or less properly my landings are a lot better than my take-offs. The take-off is blemished by the torque and I'm sure that a lot of you have turned it off. Well, I won't since that's what my rudder pedals are all about. However, right before take-off I experience a magnitude of torque that can't be "killed" by right rudder only. I have to bank into it as well, leaving the runway with a swoop that's anything but graceful. I think we ought to have a stronger rudder input since I'm basically "running out of rudder" with this aircraft. Flying at 150 - 200 mph I use most of my available right rudder to go straight and it's tempting to bank right a bit to aid the rudder. All in all, the torque seems excessive / the rudder needs more power (size) or more play. It ought to be possible to compensate for any amount of torque by kicking rudder.Landings are easier than take-offs since the torque decreases with less power -- when you basically glide in to a landing the rudder stays neutral. And it sure has to stay neutral -- the tail wheel swings with the rudder input and anything but perfectly straight will cause "exciting" landings.I asked about the number of flaps notches -- does anyone know? I seem to get three notches of flaps in a row. If the GeeBee has one notch of flaps only the deflection seems to be quite "strong". It would seem to be more useful to have less powerful flaps but this obviously depends on what the real GeeBee was equipped with. best regards,Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Sorry, Hans Petter!I didn't even think about the prop pitch issue - I just push it to the wall, so to speak. The fact that it still flies at all with little pitch is really just a power vs. weight thing - once you're in the air, the lack of pitch becomes very apparent :-(I also had similar experiences a couple of times because I back the pitch off for taxiing and often forget to 'pitch-up' on run-up.The flaps are, well THERE! The 3 noises you here are a result of FU3 repeating the short soundfile - a detail that was not finished. There is only one flap position - down. I am considering changing it to 2 or 3 stages and will consult with a couple of people about this. According to what I have read and what people have told me, the flaps are mostly used for slowing down! Currently set for a max of 30 degrees, I'd like to implement another stage at 10-15 degrees if it would make landings safer for most people.Again, my apologies for these imperfections and I thank you for your invaluable and not inconsiderable input! Yourself, Steve, Jim and Ansgar have been my 'other hands' and what we have achieved is a direct result of many hours of work for all of us. Version 1.1, when released should have an even better flight model, fixed front-quarter views and a better internal cockpit (F4 view). I also intend to implement the multi-position flaps too if I can. A bit more rudder area may also help? I'm happy to compromise physical accuracy if it stops you from pushing the right pedal through the floor! I have increased my 'joystick sensitivity' and reduced the 'deadzone' to help - she's a twitchy set of controls now though ;)Regards,Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Ansgar

Hello Hans,Just to your information and to prevent any misunderstanding:the constants: //windTorqueCoef and //frictionConstCoefI posted above are the standard geebee-values! which must be optimized from Jon or you!So up to now I did there no optimizing procedure at this values. But this are the parameters where we/you can modify the behavior of prop speed after decreasing engine power. And also the speed-up of an prop (if engine is OFF) in an stall situation is defined here. The prop speeds up more if you increase the windTorqueCoef and reduce the frictionConstCoef of the prop.As new physics-developer you can experiment a bit with that now. And I

Hi, This is by far a AWESOME plane. I love the sounds!! Amazing, just one question, how do you enter/change your squawk??Thanks,Jim

Guest R_Driscoll

I'd like to add my congratulations Jon! She's a beast! I finally downloaded and installed the latest version - I love the detail on it. I tried to taxi around Gatwick to get the feel of it, but since I'm a bit short I couldn't see over the cowling, so I was trying to wobble from side to side to see where I was going, but gave up and used F8. Takeoff - used 70% throttle, a touch of rudder, but she still kicked hard on takeoff and there's a new groove on 28 Left where the right wing was "strength-tested". So I just yanked back on the stick and got out of there - yeehaaa - another successful takeoff and my first in this bucking bronco. Did a few passes at 200 ft, upside down, loops, a sort of abortioned hammerhead - but its easy to recover and turns beautifully. Possible its a bit lively for checking scenery development. But I think when the pylons are up, I might be parking my tefloned Trainer and hunting blood with this little critter.And I love transparent windows - I would die for transparent windows - well done! The pilot is a bit ugly though - who is he modelled on? HEY - you didn't steal my photo did you?And I landed it. ON THE RUNWAY! First TIME !!!!!!!!! It would have made a kangaroo airsick to watch but it stayed straight. Congrats Jon - she's beautiful.Rob D

Guest jonpoint

Thanks to all for your kind comments and helpful advice. I knew that this one would be very different from the 'easy Sunday morning' type of aircraft but I'm glad that you've all persevered enough to learn it and enjoy it :-) One thing to note. I hear a lot of rudder kicking going on but don't forget, torque causes ROLL, not left/right turns. You do have to bank it with the ailerons to counteract the roll. Use the rudder to hold it straight whilst you're banking it. Flying with 'coordinate rudder' switched on is not the go either (when you counteract the roll she turns...). You CAN fly it with no pedals if you're good with the keyboard - I did a lot of testing this way - if I can takeoff and land using the keyboard rudder comands, it should be easier with pedals.Rob,I've tried using the 'Chris Low method' of flying around slow with flaps down and very little power but she does get a bit piggish - probably NOT that good for explorations though I've had no problems finding somewhere to land most times, including the 'new' strip at Forest Falls ;)As to the 'ugly' pilot, it's hard to find a 'straight' photo when you need one! I must admit I was feeling pretty ugly when the shot was taken but then I had just beaten everyone else to the top of the Mt Allyn hillclimb in record time! http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e5b019237b25888.jpgI would rather have cleaned-up before the shot but I was so exhausted I just leant on the bike and said 'hurry up before I fall over' before drinking 2 litres of water and collapsing :-) '77V' (the yellow GeeBee) has a shot of Jim in it if you'd prefer 'handsome'. It'll be uploaded this week.I'm glad you landed OK - it's definitely the hardest part of flying it! Don't worry about those kangaroos anyway - there's a couple hanging around AWO at the races to add to the spectacle ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Well no wonder you enjoyed making bikes for Fu3! I thought the pilot might have been a self protrait when I said .. (oh bother, now I'm in trouble, why can't you have been someone from Russia or Georgia or something). Um, very handsome pilot.Thanks again for the adrenaline rush. But you still haven't invented a good internet nickname for me.And are you ready for UK-South now?