Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

gatwick beta

Guest R_Driscoll

Rich, thanks for your very detailed observations. I have never seen Gatwick (I did go to southeast Asia but it was a cloudy day and I couldn't see England), so your first hand experience is useful. I have a photo which is my reason for including the noise barriers where I did - the picture clearly shows a second line of noise barriers near the arc taxiway.But based on your comments, I went back to the photo, and realised there was construction work in the background. So I assume that during this construction, they put temporary barriers up.So I went in with my blasting equipment and removed my second set of noise barriers. I have added extended air bridges to cover 46 and 47, although I couldn't make new models so I cobbled together bits from other objects to do it. Then to make up for this, I added some handling equipment. So Virgin, NW and USAirways can fly again.You want to see more aircraft at the gates? I don't have any aircraft models, so I can't. Roland was chasing me too to add AI aircraft, and this would be the best solution, but I don't know how to do this and would rather someone else did this side of the development.Are there other suggestions you can make that would improve the modelling side? I would like the airport to be OK.

Guest Rich Wren

Hi Rob,There is one detail that I think is missing but despite searching I can't confirm this. I'm sure that somewhere along the south side of the runway there is a large red radar dish, gut feeling says it's somewhere towards the west end of the runway, up alongside the fence. Annoyingly it doesn't appear on the Jeppesen SimCharts I have but I'm sure it's there as I can recall seeing it on a commercial sim visual system and using it to confirm that we had the correct database loaded.I've trawled through airliners.net looking to see if it turns up in a photo there, but most aircraft photographers seem to avoid taking photos of big bits of metal that can't fly.Until I can find any proof I'll have to leave you with the vague suspicion that maybe something is missing from the model, you don't know what it looks like and you don't know where it lives.Other than that though, I really can't think of anything else that is missing in the way of buildings etc. Some trees wouldn't go amiss though. :-)Cheers,Rich.

Guest R_Driscoll

OK, let me know if you find a missing big red radar!Thanks again for your help.

Guest R_Driscoll

Trees? What sort of concrete are they made from (I only work with concrete). I think you need to put a GB under Jon and tell him to start pruning English bark asap. The world is watching and waiting for his 54 models and he's off skylarking over Seattle.But I did make one tree, and I've probably used it about 54 times ...RobD.

Robert, thank you for this superb Gatwick Airport, looking great at night with all the moving access trains and the second small runway with the ramps ;-). Standing there the Malibu was shacked from time to time no idea why.http://www.agtim.ch/fu3/gatwick.jpg:-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

I tried to land there once while I was building it - taxied up the ramp, then fell over the end. Ouch.Second runway? oh no ... you read the Arrival/ Departure signs and thought the ramp was for planes? :-eek

Guest R_Driscoll

With some help from Roland Wagener I put a bit of AI into Gatwick. Deinitely I will leave this to the experts, but it was very nice to see one of Ansgar's creations rolling down the new runway. Here are some pretty evening shots: