Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Vectors for ILS...

I followed ATC instructions carefully, yet as you can see on the picture below, I never made it to runway 25R Livermoore (bottom-left in picture). Instead I flew back and forth in the area for about 20 minutes before I gave up. Geez, and I thought the ground controllers had a weird sense of humor...What's the secret? Is it possible to be guided straight to the runway instead of flying around in this weird pattern? I was once told to descend to 1000 feet, and looking at the GPS in the map view, it looked like I would finally be landing...but then I was suddenly told to climb to 4000 ft. again and make a 180...

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Rich Wren

I have yet to manage an ILS vectored landing in Livermore, I think that there might be some problem with the hills around that runway not leaving enough ground clearance for a normal intercept. I often have trouble getting an ILS intercept for San Francisco as well but I usually put that down to the traffic density.Rich.

Guest Motormouse

Hi Guys, open your flt3.cfg file and either add this line,or edit it so's it reads like this; ils_delay_time_max 300this will reduce the time that 'bouncing bertha' the controller has you going back and forward until you get vectored for ils to 300 seconds maximum.And don't forget that you have to be going at less than 140kts tooHope this helps:-wavePete

Less than 140 knots, eh Pete ? That should be easy for me, since I am ALWAYS flying at less than 140 knots :-lolBy the way, less than 140 knots could be difficult in Ansgar's 747.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Rich Wren

No kidding Chris, I think that's where I'm having trouble. Most of my radio work is done in jets, either the Beechjet or the 747 and I don't fly either of them at that kind of low speed.The standard speed profile I use in the Beechjet is 190kts for vectors, 160 for capture and approach, 145 for final approach. I fly the 747 to the same speeds as the DC-10 sim I was testing (220/180/150kts).Cheers for the help Pete, maybe I'll just have to slow down a bit :-)Rich.

Guest Motormouse

Yep I agree there Chris,I find its best to get everything down and out early,with the 747,(gear,flaps,speedbrake)then fly it in 'on the drag curve', not exactly best practice,its too easy to stall out on final,but fun though!:-wavePete

Rich,I make my final approach in the Beechjet at around 115 knots.......which is actually almost identical to my cruise speed in level flight :-lol Flaps are generally set at 20 degrees.Ansgar's original 747 could be flown at around 145 knots on final approach. However, I suspect that his "upgraded" version may have to be somewhat higher than this. That should make those 5000 feet runways a bit more of a challenge.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png