Sign in to follow this  
adams

FU2 and W2000

Did anyone install FU2 under Win2000 ? Does it work correctly ? I was asked about it.B.Adamski

I tried installing it under 2k. The installer refuses to install the game, saying something like "Windows NT not supported", probably because Win2k wasn't out when FU2 was released, and the only NT-based operating systems were WinNT 4 and lower. I think that if you could fool the installer and actually install the sim, it would work, but I didn't find a way to do that.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I'm running FU3 on a Win2000 OS but it just dawned on me that I never tried to install it. It was installed while I was running Win98. Then I added a new drive, did a clean installation of Win2000 and kept the old drive as a slave. I have moved the entire FU3 directory to a partition on the new 80 GB drive and placed a shortcut on the desktop but the registry knows nothing about it.This means that I might be in trouble if I need to reinstall. But then, there's another full standard installation of FU3 on another partition. I figured I'd keep this one as a backup in case I mess up my main installation with incompatible tweaks or addons. Anyway, since FU3 runs well under Win2000 as well as under XP there must be a way to install it.-----------Added: Sorry, I misread the post and thought we were dealing with FU3. However, the fact is that I neither installed FU3 nor FU2 under Win2000--I just copied it all over to the new drive. I just tried to run FU2 and it doesn't work. I get a black screen. Luckily, under Win2000 it's easy to get out of a hanging application without having to reboot. I chose Win2000 for better stability and it hasn't disappointed me. Hours of flightsimming doesn't make the system sluggish--actually, the PC may stay on for days without getting sluggish. Further, once I close an application or abort a task it's finished, with no impact whatsoever on what I choose to do next. While I ran Win98 the system would "tire" after a while and it was always a good idea to reboot. Also, when applications froze they'd tend to freeze the entire OS and the only way out was a hard reboot. No more of that ;) best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Ansgar

Hello Bogdan,I have tried this some month ago and wrote a long thread about it (I just brought it up to the forum here again ...). The same question was brought here in the forum some weeks ago...and I answered it accordinglyThe short answer is:Yes it is running stable under my Win2000 (PIII/667MHz with Nvidia: Riva TNT M64 card, directX 8.1), only the installation is a bit tricky, because Win2000 is ignoring the normal installation process first. You must edit/add the FU2-path manually with the registry editor and need some of the old FU2-patches and then everythings went fine for me.If you need more detailed advice how to do read here my direct advice copied from my archive-thread:"A way how to install FU2 direct under Win2000, Win-NT,"**********************************************************Normally Win2000 (and I assume Win-NT and -XP do also!) fails to install FU2 directly. There comes a message which say

Guest Ansgar

Hello together,I just did it again..... ;-) and it works exactly that way! For me it doesn

Sorry about providing misleading information. My problem is the long path to the sanfran scenery: reg_cd_path e:flight simulatorsFU3CDROMsanfranmapsThere are two issues here,1) "flight simulator" won't work in DOS mode2) I tried to alias the FU3 sanfran folder to avoid having to keep two identical sanfran folders.The first issue has been covered by Ansgar but how about the second? It would save some space if it works.Personally I won't put to much efforts into running FU2 as long as I got FU3 with sanfran working. FU3 aircraft look better and thanks to our little group they keep looking better and the fleet is being expanded all the time. Secondly, I never got rudder pedals to work in FU2. All in all, FU3 provides the best of FU2 and more, doesn't it?best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Ansgar

Hello Hans,also the second question 2) of you is answered above. If you look above under my point 5.) you will see that we need to register the path of where FU2 can find the CD-ROM 2 with the high-res sanfran maps.So if you simply put in here your path where you have located it in FU3 that enough and FU2 is sharing the whole san-fran maps with FU3 without any problems (I tried it).For your example you should have the following 4 lines at the top in your "region.cfg" for FU2:reg_name San Francisco Bay Areareg_cd_path e:fltsimFU3CDROMsanfranmapsreg_terrain_disk_name Flight Unlimited II Disk 2 (Game Disk)reg_cd_levels 2...As you said in your above post I assumed that you rename your to long "flight simulators" subfolder to the DOS-conform name "fltsim".Nevertheless I total agree with you that we didn

FU2 may look a bit antique now, but in 1997 it sure looked good. I couldn't believe what I saw on my computer screen the first time I started it (at 4 FPS on my P133 :-lol ).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thank you all for answers. Ansgar, I didn't remember this topic because I have no problem with FU2/3. I was asked about it.FU2 maybe looks antique, but it's availble in Poland, while FU3 had only 1 edition and practicaly not to buy in Poland.B.Adamski