Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Installing UK

Webmaster, please delete the corrupted post below with the same heading. I was posting just at the moment the forum went down yesterday and it went through, sort of :( This is what I wanted to say:I'm going to install the UK scenery as a totally separate installation of FU3. Currently I've got two installations of FU3 on my drives, one of them being a basic stock version, with SanFran, outer terrain and the patch. I keep this one as a backup in case something goes wrong. Now, the UK scenery doesn't need Seattle, SanFran or the outer terrain. If I copy this stock version of FU3 to another location (logically E:flight simulatorsFU3UK in my case) what will I delete and reconfigure to make it into a proper base installation for the English scenery? There are two issues here:1) I don't need the outer terrain for the English scenery2) I don't need any HiRes scenery that isn't required to make the sim run properly. I may add Switzerland to this one but I want no interference from Seattle and SanFran--I'll fly these areas from my other installation.A possible third point is that I may alias paths to my main FU3 folder, to avoid redundant folders.The reason for choosing separate installations is simple--I want to avoid any conflicts with the original HiRes areas and I want not having to rename folders when flying over England.I may certainly install another copy of FU3 if that's what it takes to avoid the outer terrain. However, it's faster to copy what's already installed and even though FU3 runs without being in the registry one installations may be in the registry already. Thus, the installer may read this and block a second (well, third) installation. best regards,Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Hans Petter,In anser to your first questyon, you do not need to delete or reconfigureanything. And if your only going to use this copy of FU3 for the UK-South then to save space on your PC you might want to delete the CDROM folder that contanes the Seattle and SanFran maps.The UK-Sout maps are not stored in the CDROM folder.And bifor insalling the UK-South, delete the contents of your packages folder.As you only need packages for the UK-South.And as there are no Black Boxes for the UK-South yet, you can delete thecontents of your RECS folder.If the first insterlation of FU3 has the outer terrain, then all subsiquentcopys of it will hav the outer terrain.When you hav the outer terrain, you carnt get rid of it.Well I dont think so anyway. If the first insterlation of FU3 is mirered terrain, then all subsiquentcopys of it will be mirered terrain, and you carnt change it.Well I dont think so anyway.When it cums to ideaer,s, (pinch the best & forget the rest) "thats wat I say".Iv grabed Hans Petter,s ideaer and used it over and over agen.Iv got FU3 instaled 5 times over and eech FU3 is named after the seenary I usethat particuler copy of FU3 fore.And eech FU3 can hav its owne shortcut on the desktop, Iv got 5, see snap-shot.It works well and has sum advatages.Take Switzerland fore exampl, no more swoping folders bifor starting the game.Its a lot les confusing in the packages folders.Useing a hole FU3 just for one seenary like this meens that every seenary has its own packages folder that only contanes packages for that seenary.This makes it a lot eezeer to find wot ever your looking for.The same thing gos for the Black-Box RECS folders.But you can not install more than one game from the FU3 CD,son the same partition.Or if you can, let me know how, and Iill be abell to havethe outter as well as the inner.best regards,glidernut.:-wave

John,Does that FLIGHT2 icon indicate that you are running Flight Unlimited 2 with Windows XP ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

Glidernut,Actually, there IS a way to do a reinstall from the CD's.1) Copy the "original" install of FU3 to somewhere else (copy, not move).2) Uninstall FU3 with the standard uninstaller.3) Install it again from the CD - it will work.So, you won't loose anything, and you can have both the versions WITH and WITHOUT outer terrain..Hope this helps,Cristian

Guest glidernut

Thanks Cristian,Yes it works, Iv just dun it. Iv got the outter terain as well as the mirerd terain.Iv got 6 FU3,s now.But its highlited a problem I hav with the outter terain that I had forgoten all about.Its a problem Iv menshined severl times hear on the form, but no onehas even confermed that the problem has hapend to others, letalown cum upwith a solooshon.The problam is that I can not land or taxy along the ground with outrunig the risk of exploding into the air, sum tims 1000 feet high,as if I had hit a solid object at 500 MPH.The only safe place to moov along the ground on the outter terain is ata flatend aiport.All my outter terains have had this problem.On 3 PC and 2 operating sistems.glidernut.

Guest twsimfan

Hans,"Webmaster, please delete the corrupted post below with the same heading."Webmaster... wow... that sounds important. :) The post in question is now gone.