Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

More UK screenshots

I have found the Westbury White Horse in the UK Scenery. For anyone who is interested in seeing it for themselves, it is located at 51 degrees 19 minutes N, 2 degrees 18 minutes W. The first two screenshots show this and several other features, and the other two show the town of Alton in Hampshire, where I lived between January 1976 and April 1981 (aged 8 to 13).1. This screenshot sahows a wide angle view of the region surrounding the Westbury White Horse. The chalk horse itself is highlighted by the red circle, and the red lines indicate the local rail network. The village of Bratton (east of the horse) is ringed in blue, and the town of Westbury itself is surrounded by green. The view from the hill just above the horse is absolutely breathtaking, although this is not apparent in the scenery itself, due to the low resolution of the terrain elevation.2. This is a close up of the Westbury White Horse,and the shape is more obvious here.3. This is the town of Alton, Hampshire. I highlighted it in green, but it is pretty obvious in the picture ! The red line is the A31, which at this point is a DUAL CARRIAGE WAY (NOT a motorway).4. Close up of Alton, showing the rough location of my former home at 51 Southview Rise (circled in red), and Anstey Junior School (where I learned f*** all...........er.......lots of fascinating things between January 1976 and July 1978).Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs

All,I have found the "Rude man of Cern". I won't spoil the challenge of finding him but here is my screen shot. I have pointed my wing at him!I tried to find the uffington horse but I don't think it has come out. I just see a white rectangle. Robs

Guest Robs

I have also attached some coord of major motorway junctions to go in your POI. These are just the ones I have done for me - it is not complete north of london etc.Now you can do some VFR road following and find your home or name some towns with a road map!!!Robs

Rob,I also found the Cerne Abbas Giant recently, but the resolution is nowhere near good enough to see why you class him as "rude" ! :-eek Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I just installed the scenery and did some sightseeing. As I mentioned in previous posts I intended to make a completely separate installation and this worked out nicely. I made a basic installation without the outer terrain and even threw out the Seattle and the SanFran folders from "Regions". Before throwing out these regions I patched this version and copied my configuration files from my standard FU3 installation. Stock aircraft? Nah, this is FU 4 :-)I chose Jon's latest GeeBee since it's so easy to fly (kick me!) and took off from London City. The screenshots were taken while scooting along the river Thames. I made it down to the mouth of the river and turned back to land at London City. The landing was a perfect three-point touch-down, stable all the way and well aligned (kick me again!) Well honestly, I got it down in one piece :-)Pictures:

Guest glidernut

Hans_Petter,Im going to kick you up the backside.You stareted a thred intiteld "Installing UK" in which you askedwhat could be threwn out ?I ansered your questyon but you hav ignord me & others. Grrrr!!You hav threwn out sum stuf you need ! You need the Seattle folder in "Regions", it contanes the fledmodels with the oposit palet.Without the Seattle folder in "Regions", you will only see harfthe models peopl put in packages. Remember trees in Sanfran?The bear minimum in Regions Seattle is GEN and its contens.The region.cfg file.And ENGPILE and its contens exept for chalanges. You hav not menshoned wether or not you hav threwn out the bigstuf that you can threw out ? like the CDROM folder that contanesthe Seattle and SanFran maps ? The UK-South maps are not stored in the CDROM folder.glidernut.:-newburn

The big stuff is out already since I did a minimum install without the outer terrain. I checked that post you referred to and as far as I can see it doesn't state that I need the Seattle region. But then, I just copied it back from my main FU3 installation, after reading the "angry" post above. What I don't understand is why the models created for UK will benefit from having the Seattle region installed. I thought that they were all based on the SanFran (and, by indirection: the UK palette) Please enlighten me!best regards,Hans Petter

Guest glidernut

Hans PetterIm sory I sounded so angry, I often say things I regret later.And I do regret it now as I realize that since you did a minimum install, youdont hav a CDROM Folder to get rid of.We hav 2 sets of models, "Seattle and Sanfran" and for several yers we couldnever use models from Seattle in Sanfran or vice versa.This was a drag bicous Sanfran had no trees, and Seattle had no big hangersyou could fly throw.But then Adams discuvered a way of useing Seattle models in Sanfran withoutchanging the model,s palet, and vice versa, Sanfran models in Seattle.So now we can use any model in any seanary regardles of what palet themodel has. In other words, in one package you can see models from botheregions.But in order to see all the models in a packag that uses models from bothregions, you need to hav both regions models.REGIONS SEATTLE GEN and REGIONS UK-South GEN.If you dont have all the models, you will not see all the models.best regards,glidernut.:-wave

Guest Quaxo

Are you sure you really need the Seattle folder? I know we now can use all the models, but I thought they must anyway be installed in the UK folder - I mean, I thought the sim couldn't access files located outside the current region's folder.I have 2 FU3 installs, on 2 different drives. Both have UK; but only one has Seattle and SF. In the other I removed the Seattle and Sanfran folders, along with the CDRom folder. And I can't see any lack of models (the region seems the same in both installs). Can you tell me where to look exactly, to see if I lack some models this way?Cristian

Guest glidernut

Cristian,>Are you sure you really need the Seattle folder?Yes, you need the Seattle folder in Regions to see its models in UK-South or Sanfrsn.The Seattle folder in Regions must contane at leest theres files and folders.GEN and its contens.The region.cfg file.And ENGPILE with its RESREG.RES file.Yes, FU3 can and dus located and access files outside the current selected region.Snap-shots of lundy Island showing sum of the models only fond in Seattle GEN.Models to Note, About 6 microwlits flying along the slope, with wind sound.3 of Captin Bazzas dul broun galions.Jon Point,s trees.Houses and shaks.

Guest R_Driscoll

There is an alternative method which eliminates the need to keep the Seattle GEN folder, which is to convert the palettes on the MIP files, then copy the original models (*.BIN) and the converted MIP files (*.MIP) into the required region's GEN folder. This is simple and quick to do using FIXMIP, or by downloading the converted files from the AVSIM library (even easier!) - I have released many versions now of the converted models including most of the stock models from FU3 converted between regions (but I haven't converted Jon's models).If you have kept uptodate with my model conversions from Seattle to San Fran, then all you need to do is copy the models from the SanFran GEN directory into the UK-South GEN directory (both the BIN and MIP components), since UK-South shares the same palette as San Fran.If you are downloading my airports though, they are complete. You do not need anything apart from the download, as all models used are included with instructions on installing them to the correct location.And if you haven't bothered to download the new models and packages, shame on you. You are missing out on an essential step in improving the 'reality' of the sim. Each model takes hours of work, and is realistically textured to a better level than MSFS.But to the current problem, the best solution would be to re-release GliderNut's package with the models remipped into the correct palette. If John has no objections, I would be happy to do this for him, and then no-one could complain about having to keep the Seattle directory!RobD

Guest Quaxo

I compared the screenshots above with my scenery - well, I don't get the trees, either with or without the Seattle folder. Maybe this is because I didn't install Robert's packages (sorry Robert, all the development work on the UK kept me away from Seattle and SF! :-))I think the best solution, would be that every package developers includes all the needed models with the package. So, there's no need to have the Seattle folder, or to download other packages... Not everyone has installed every available add-on package... ;-)Cristian

Now that all the models are repalletized my stand-alone UK-South works fine. I just had some fun around Heathrow and couldn't resist posting a few more screenshots. What are those lakes / ponds? Are they just natural lakes or some manmade thing? One of them has a road going right through it. Anyway, I still marvel at the realism and detail of this scenery, especially when viewed from a proper altitude :-)Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Those are beautiful photos. I don't think I've been back to Seattle or SanFran for some time myself - this new area is incredible.

With all due respect to the talented individuals that are developing the UK South scenery region, I prefer to fly around the completed package.........which means SanFran and Seattle :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png