Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

River Thames Color?

Guest juvat2

Hi Folks,Been looking at the screen shots of the great UK Hi-res. Am wondering, is the river Thames really that green, or did the SF pallet somehow make it so? I was thinking that as altitude increased, the "sky" and sun luminence would eventually wash-out the green(lots of algae?) to a more "watery" color?Just curious is all.Thanks,Jim B.

Guest Quaxo

Hi Jim,I've seen the Thames for real only once (well, actually twice, but on the same holiday journey) and it was really greenish. I don't know if it's its usual color though... What I can say is that the green color doesn't come from the palette conversion - it was already green in the 16M colors photos...Cristian

Guest R_Driscoll

Concrete around aprons is also a tinge greenish - I think the palette leans a bit in this direction.RobD

Guest jonpoint

Rob said:"Concrete around aprons is also a tinge greenish - I think the palette leans a bit in this direction."I'm sure it does but I have also seen a lot of the UK scenery (from the map site - I assume the UK stuff came from there) and noticed that some images have really way-out colouring. I assume it was deliberately done to make the maps appear more 'appealing' when viewed from the 'web. One map I downloaded for an ex-pat employee was very reddish. She even commented that the local 'green' looked like it needed some water! The fact that the different maps have been individually touched-up makes it hard to achieve consistency however, in Seattle or Sanfran the opposite is true - as the images were originally mono, the colour that has been added is consistent - but limited :-(BTW, my experience of the Thames was mostly brown (Summer rains, after all!) upstream, greyish murky brown (middle of London) then deep green near the mouth. The only murkier river I've ever seen was Melbourne's (in)famous Yarra - "which flows upside-down with the water at the bottom and the mud at the top" so the locals say ;)Gotta get this UK scenery sometime :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest qvdg

Jon, The Torrens in Adelaide beats the Yarra hands down QvdG

Guest juvat2

Thank you Fellas for the insight. I have always hoped to be able to visit that great country. Always something delays me, if not money, its time. Closest I ever got was transient through Ireland on a military deployment. Was a 3 hour layover, night time, and security was real tight. We had to stay with-in the building till the aircraft were readied for boarding. My only Europe temp duty was to the beautiful Azores in the early 80's. Wonderful country and very nice folks there.Jim B.