Sign in to follow this  
Guest juvat2

Uploaded Hoops2 bbx

Guest juvat2

Just posting a note that I uploaded the bbx. I used the Mustang Red Racer. Thats one awesome flying machine and beautifully textured.I missed 4 of the easy hoops, so didn't beat the course. Oddly I made the hardest one(for me anyway), the hoop just over the snow capped peak.I like watching the red racer in-flight and thought you all would as well. You'll need the red racer in your plnpile to see it in the bbx.Jim B.

Guest glidernut

Hi Jim,I dont got de right bird, but de bird I do got is close unuf.To the best of my knolige you are the first one to do a bbx on a hoops cors.Even after all this time sins FU3 cum out you are the first.Thats a first.But with you seting such high standerds, you might be the last as well.Three tims throo the longest hoops cors there is, with hardly a mis, useing the mustang, which is not the eseist of aicraft to atempt it with.WOUW!! I dont see anyone folowing that.I dont got de right bird, but de bird I do got is close unuf.glidernut.:-wave

Guest juvat2

Hi Fellas,I'm so glad you all liked it. Hans, here's a screen shot to show where the Hoops2 challenge is located and one of the Mustang Red Racer. Isn't she a beauty?! Fly's wonderfully as well!After a couple of runs through this hoops course, I usually break off and haul tale as close to the ground as possible, seeing how quickly I can make it to Ranger Creek. Thats one awesome ride, multiplied ten fold by Fu3's beautiful terrian and sky detail. It doesn't (and suspect will never for many years to come) get as good as this. Roll over into a ravine, level out just in the nick, tap the keypad views, watch the incredible scenery flash by, F9 key for a ripping fly-by. Wind that merlin to a higher pitch, wing over to the next canyon. Endlessly full filling; wonderful, infinite fun!You all take care,Jim B.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e694d366b5a79b8.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e694d626bddc7e1.jpg

Guest glidernut

Hang on Jim, I dont think Hans ment that ?I think Hans Petter has a minimum insterlation of FU3 ?In which case Hans wont hav any chalanges or Black-Boxes or Lesons orHoops-corses ?glidernut :-eek

Yes Glidernut, that was exactly what I meant. My MAIN FU3 installation is the full installation with outer terrain and SanFran. My separate UK-South installation is minimal, without the outer terrain, lessons and challenges.Hans Petter

Well, it seems that I've ignored challenges that I've had since I installed this sim. I just tried the hoops challenge with the Mustang (rated "impossible") and found it to be...well, impossible :-)I get some of the hoops but there's no way I can dive down in a valley, yet have enough zoom reserve to make it up the next ridge. I want to peruse this recording and see how you did it. That's where the red Mustang comes in. I've searched for it to no avail. I did find a script on Gideon's site that looks right. However, the main thing is to know what plane.res the recording is looking for. If I know the name of your red Mustang I can import the textures and rename one of my Mustangs accordingly.Hans Petter

Guest juvat2

Hi Hans,I looked in my plnpile and here is the file name. EBRedRace.resI reviewed my Fu3 downloads/ aircraft/ mustangs and within I see I have not given proper credit of this fine aircrafts pedigree. The mustang I fly is actually: Markus Brunners mustang_flight_models1.zip (mustang flight model), with Erik Bj

I just set up an "EBRedRacer.res" but that's not the one that the *.bbx uses on my computer. It's the standard "Glamorous Glen" or whichever one it is. Anyway, I've studied your style and you roll the aircraft to lose altitude. Being more of a GA kind of pilot I didn't think of that. I just tried to throttle back, which was way too slow. I guess this is easier if one is used to flying combat sims. Obviously, if you keep the thrust high and roll the plane on its side it will sink fast since the wings stop providing lift. They're still flying and you've got plenty of zoom reserve but the wings are pushing the plane sideways rather than pushing up. Then, as you want to soar again all it takes is to roll the sunny side up. This technique might be employed to make those boring regional flights more exciting... "Ladies and gentlemen, we're approaching Seattle--please raise your seats in the upright position, buckle up and prepare for a snap roll"I imported the red / metal livery into a copy of DLM's mustracer.res and renamed it to EBRedRacer.res. I think it has the improved flight model. However, I'm not sure what the improvements are since the stock Mustang is supposed to be quite "on the numbers" in the first place?There was an anomaly as I landed it at Coupeville Nolf--in external view the aircraft floats a foot above the runway. Then I flew it to another airport and checked it again after a landing. This time it looked a lot better, only with the tailwheel being slightly elevated. The image below shows a Red Mustang parked above the runway.I have a problem finding the right rpm setting. If I max it out the rpm goes way into the red (40+). Then, when I go shift - minus to choose a lower pitch it drops to the other extreme. Hans Petter

Guest Rich Wren

I finally beat the course :-)It took me more than a few attempts, but I managed to get round in 230 seconds in the basic Mustang. There was little finesse involved, the throttles etc were pushed to the stops and I was flinging it around a fair bit but I'm happy :-)Rich.http://www.wheresthefish.co.uk/fu3/flt3hoops2.jpg

Guest R_Driscoll

great work Rich - I love to hear of these challenges being beaten. I'm still trying to land at that hut on the side of Mt Rainier ...

Guest Rich Wren

Mt Ranier? I'm still trying to rescue the fair Gretchen from the Observatory :-)

Guest juvat2

Hi Hans,Yes, for flat out running hard I rarely throttle back. Just as you observed I will almost always go inverted to quickly loose altitude, yet maintain forward speed as much as I can, trying to make the most of the positive "g's" and gravity. At times I'll "skid" to loose altitude, but only if I've put myself in a tight spot, as skidding has me loosing much needed forward velocity. Positive "g's" I try to avoid at all times.When I'm in ga aircraft (props), the most I do in transient is move the mixture control to keep the rpm's out of the red. I don't know if thats the correct thing to do(I don't like throttling back unless for pattern maneuvers or landing, I think its the jet engine mechanic thats still in me makes me that way).Was it Coupeville Nolf where we had to adjust the elevation or something because our aircraft submerge at one end of a runway?I recollect Ansgar(?) adjusting the DC3 to allow for wheel contact on the "tarmac"? This was a fix so Fu3 recognized we had landed the aircraft. Was a while back, to much for my feable brain.Take care Hans,Jim B.

I'll practice rolling and inverting to control altitude. With the Reno race track adventure coming up I'll have to adopt a different style :-)Jim wrote: When I'm in ga aircraft (props), the most I do in transient is move the mixture control to keep the rpm's out of the red. I don't know if thats the correct thing to do(I don't like throttling back unless for pattern maneuvers or landing, I think its the jet engine mechanic thats still in me makes me that way).I'd say you'd control the prop advance (prop pitch) rather than the mixture. The mixture knob is for leaning and this won't be required below 4,000 ft. You would throttle back, adjust prop pitch and adjust mixture for best fuel economy during cruise--for adventurous maneuvers close to the ground you won't touch the mixture and probably not the pitch. Regarding jet engines, if you run them at 100%+ for more than a couple of minutes during take-off a total engine overhaul is warranted. When you state that you don't throttle back, do you mean all the way back? That makes sense--neither piston engines nor jet engines (including turboprops) like a sudden drop to minimum thrust. This is where I have I have a problem with the Mustang. Do you go full throttle as well as max prop pitch all the time for lively performance? If so, the gauges point way into the red. As always, I strive to fly this plane realistically. What's the max sustainable rpm and how much G force can it take?Coupeville Nolf may be an airport anomaly. I used Agtim's elevation fix to get rid of the sinking runway but I may have got elevated aircraft instead. Anyway, it's no big deal.What I'd really want to know is the difference between the various Mustang flight models. I seem to be nosing over as I land more frequently when flying Markus' model :-eekbest regards,Hans Petter

Guest juvat2

HI Hans,I flew it again to watch my engine instruments and they didn't seem to maxxing in the reds, so went to aircraft options and be danged if I had prop pitch on auto. Changed that to manual and went back to the challenge. Now the gauges read as you say, in the reds/maxxed. However I improved my run by 2 seconds! I never tried to adjust anything. The few times I did throttle back, the engine would audibly wind really high then the pitch would decrease to the sound I'm used to hearing. I have engine damage on, I'd of thought I'd get a "thrown rod" engine condition. But nothing seems to hurt this engine. Heres a pic of the cockpit, throttles all the way up.I'm going to edit my record file in the challenge back to the original time as my personal thinking is(besides my choice of a/c) I had a cheat going on there. So, going to fly the heck out of this challenge and see what my personal best will be. Maybe will do it like they do the land speed records. Once through then see if I can run right back thru it backwards.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e6f60395066a7d7.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e6f6066512ec460.jpg