Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Surprising AI observation

I have just been making some modifications to my Petaluma package for the SanFran scenery region, and I noticed something that I had never noticed before. I'm not sure if this was simply a software glitch, or whether it applies everywhere.Basically, I had moved the blue airport designation icon to a new position when I saved the package. When I tested the modified airport, I noticed that the AI planes were landing and DISAPPEARING UNDERNEATH THE RUNWAY. Now, this normally means that the runway isn't level, but I knew that this was not the case with Petaluma. In addition, when the AI planes turned off the runway onto the taxiway, they were STILL underneath the terrain (in other words, they were invisible).I couldn't understand this at first, but then I had an idea. I had saved the package with the blue airport designation icon to the south of the airport. This area is at a lower elevation than the runway and taxiways, and that made me suspect that this was the cause of the problem. I moved the airport icon to a new location (at the same elevation as the runway) and tested it. This solved the problem.I only mention it here because I have never experienced this problem before. I am assuming that I have just been lucky in the past, or most of the airport locations are TOTALLY flat. However, I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar problem when making AI modifications.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thank you for this observation.I had exactly the same problem at the West end of London City Airport.I move the blue airport designation icon near the end of the runway, and all my problems of half-underground AI planes disappeared.Roland Wagener

Guest glidernut

When you say the blue airport designation icon, Do you meen the one that is ded senter of the skreen when Fledferst opens, and is acupanid with a 3 leter abreeveation of theairport ?glidernut

Guest jonpoint

Chris,Yep, that's how its done! The 'blue icon, IS the FBO reference point, which determines the airport height (in the FBO screen on the map) and also the AI altitude :-)When trying to create some mountaintop strips with AI motorgliders I noticed this - if you place the icon halfway up the strip, the AI comes in for a perfect landing as usual, then simply disappears into the hill! Trying the icon at the top means the aircraft lands perfectly - in mid-air :-eek So much for AI on uneven ground :-(If there's only a foot or so between the highest and lowest points I usually use the middle - otherwise, place it near the parking spot so at least the AI you see whilst starting off are OK ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Yes John, that is exactly what I mean.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Roland,You're welcome ! It seems that FLED can spring surprises even after nearly two years of use.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

This blue airport designation icon is very yousfal to me.If I put this icon doun and nuthing els, then feled uses it as a player,sparking spot.This is usefal to me bicous it is the only way I can get a one ended runway.I used it like this on Lundy Island and about 12 other packages in Seattle.Its the only way I know of to get a rowl doun hill takeoff.Unfortuneatly its always faceing East, no other direction.If anyone knows of anuther way of having a one ended runway and beingabel to ditermin the direction of its takeoff spot,then pleas let me know.glidernut:-wav

Hi Chris,We have the same problem at London City Airport. I think it's the fbo elevation that is used for the AI planes. I will try to move the spot there to a deeper position.:-wave agtim

I'd only like to add that the height of this blue point ( in meters ) is in the fbo2.cfg file. You may edit it independently in Notepad.Chris, move the point to the previous position or edit the height as I wrote above.B.Adamski

Bogdan,I corrected the problem as soon as I identified it........but your information regarding the fbo2.cfg file could be very useful. Thanks for that.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png