Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Pointless ATC instructions

My latest flight at Pierce County included a glitch in ATC that has occurred several times during my time with FU3. I was initially told to "taxi to runway 34 via taxiway Alpha". OK, that seems straightforward enough. However, when I was approaching the runway threshold, ATC gave me the following information....."Beechjet Niner Lima Golf, you're on taxiway Alpha. Taxi to runway 34 via Alpha".I have also experienced this at Boeing Field.Has anyone else had a similar experience ?Also, does anyone else here sometimes have a problem with AI planes stopping on the taxiway in front of them ? I wouldn't mind, but sometimes I am half a runway length away from them !Chris Loiw,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I don't know what's wrong, but that is the message ATC will say if they think you are not on the correct taxiway. Did you used Alt+F12 for the taxiway line to make sure you were on the correct taxiway?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest jonpoint

Chris,I've had the same thing. It's as though you've hit 'request taxi assistance' but didn't! It seemed to happen when I wandered from the taxiway or stopped somewhere along it.BTW, if you get too close to the AI in front, it stops :-( As we don't have reverse (in props anyway). I take to turning off the taxiway - once you're a bit away from it, the AI starts again. Then you can turn back onto the taxiway (amid ATC telling you which taxiway to use - as above). I have destroyed a number of planes this way - as you're following them along the taxiway, they stop and (at night anyway) you don't realise this. Next second - BANG :-fumeI have also noticed at some airports the AI doesn't move until you do - and then you're both on collision course :-grr There must be something in the AI setup about this?Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest juvat2

I have done the same maneuvers as you discribe to trigger the AI plane to move along. Then ground control will almost always transmit,"You are not in an all-terrain vehicle, please stay on the taxiway".Or something on those lines. "Do you copy?!" is repeated many-many times 'cause by then I've turned into an aggressive commuter. Determined to beat that blast AI plane to the active. Be darned if he's gonna get take-off clearence before me now! I've earned the right to be first to the hold short...Oh well.Jim B.

Guest jonpoint

Ah Jim!A pilot after my own heart! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sets 'land speed records' trying to beat the AI to the end of the taxiway ;)I always wanted to respond to the all-terrain vehicle bit with 'yes I am' but it never appeared in the options for radio transmission!What I did find weird was that the AI would stop if you get too close on the taxiway but if you stop in front of an AI at the runway, they just run straight through you :-(When I was developing the GeeBee I found taking off from taxiways quite easy (avoids the pile-up you know...) however ATC would jump in (after takeoff) with 'GeeBee taxiing from Looking Glass Aviation, say callsign' and keep doing this 'do you copy?' bit for ever. I just changed frequencies or turned the radio off :-hahPS Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes when you 'jump in', the AI behind requests and gets clearance before they even reach the runway. This happened to me at AWO the other night. An AI P51 got clearance about 50 yards from the runway end just as I lined-up and was about to contact ATC. When I tried to hassle them, my radio choices didn't even list requesting takeoff clearance as though I was still at the parking spot. I thought 'stuff it' and swung onto the runway only to be clouted by a Trainer doing a touch and go :-(Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,You really should brush up on your "airport etiquette" :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Jim,That's just my point. ATC told me that I was on taxiway ALPHA, and then told me to taxi to runway 34 via taxiway ALPHA. In other words, the controller already knew that I was on taxiway ALPHA, so why was he bothering to contact me at all ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,"You really should brush up on your "airport etiquette" "Yep, I know ;) I've even turned on 'frequent_pilot_slams' and flown back and forth through SEA to see just how annoyed ATC and other pilots can get :-eekThey seem to have a limited vocabulary though - they seem to repeat the same abuse over again - I was hoping for the full gamut I'd heard in the resfiles but oh well. Funny, they stop abusing you when you've just slammed into another AI - darn indestructable AI :-lolI still want to be able to answer "I AM in an all-terrain vehicle" though! One of my GeeBee pilot voices (unreleased) says "OK nerds, outta my way" instead of the callsign. This makes for some humorous communications..."OK nerds, outta my way - on final" :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************