Sign in to follow this  

F4U-1 Corsair - a flying beauty

I'm not a great fan of military planes but this Corsair has left a mark in my brain since i was a kid. If i could, I'd model one (or two) for FU3, but I'll hope someone gets interrested in this. I've had so much fun and amusement with planes shared here that I can not ask for more - only hope!Here's some neat pics... http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/corsair.htmlFor a start.miiropii - you have to start somewhere, why not Seattle!

Guest Staggerwing

Hmmmmm, how about an air racing version to compete with the FU Mustang ? :-) I took these at the Cleveland Air Races. ( known to most as the Cleveland Air Show)http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e70fb832435a6e4.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e70fb8c24628e14.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e70fb942487c660.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e70fb9c24a6bd4d.jpg

Guest jonpoint

Great photos, Tom :-)The Corsair has always been a favourite of mine too! I had a 1/16th model of one in Navy colours (medium blue on top, powder blue underneath) which dangled from my ceiling for many years!Never found a good R/C kit in Oz for one though :-( Always thought a 1/12th R/C corsair would be a lot of fun (though, with my 'ripping-gear-off-GeeBees' problem it wouldn't have lasted long ;) )This would make an excellent addition to our stable - any 3D models kicking around? Just the thing for the racing challenge, huh :-beerchugPS The Dash-8 is coming along nicely. The 3D model is mostly done - just some judicious axle-naming to go but BSP runs it and I even tried flying her last night (still with the Beechjet flight model though). Another 3-4 weeks to Beta delivery!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest twsimfan

Perhapes I shouldn't mention this but they have a rather good one in FS02-Pro (not sure if it is in the "standard" version or not). It is from CFS2 of course... and all the other planes from CFS3 work very well in FS02 as well.Not that I wouldn't love to have one in FU3 as well! :)

Guest twsimfan

Stag,Thanks for sharing the great pics with us. :)Bob,Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.Folks,I have had a monster toothache lately and had oral surgery Wednesday morning... 4 teeth pulled :-boom... Thanks Bob!

Guest Staggerwing

>Stag, >>Thanks for sharing the great pics with us. :) >>Bob, >>Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. >>Folks, >>I have had a monster toothache lately and had oral surgery >Wednesday morning... 4 teeth pulled :-boom... Thanks Bob! Soooo, that explains where you've been :-) Hope it heals real soon..Almost nothing worse than pain from your teeth.Of course you are welcome for the photos... like I ever have to be forced to show my photos :-lol

Guest Robert_S

"Thanks for keeping an eye out for me."No problem, Tom.I don't say much, but I'm here every day. :-)I hope you're getting pretty much back to normal by now, or at least soon.[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest Robs

Ermmm perhaps I should stand up and hang my head here and say"My names Robert and I am a MS FS2002 pro user"I didn't want to get into a great this progs better than that one debate because they both have pros and cons.The fs2002 corsait looks luverly but all the illusion is lost when it stalls. Now most fs2002 planes sort of mush forward but the code on this makes it cart wheel sort of in a way that you couldn't imagine in real life.OK so I've never flown a real one but this is all about they belief that you could if you managed to pinch the keys from the FBO and all about the feeling - even if it's not quite right so long as your average armchair pilot punter (me!) beleives and is entertained then that is good. But on the stalling corsair it plain bad code and it spoils the prog.I suppose it is too much to ask Gideon to do a FS2002 to FU3 plane convertor - download the FS2002 plane and hit the button and the user has his FU3 res file!!!!!!!!!Oh dream dream dream - P58, Ju52, DH6 - luverly user planes for FS2002Add the decent flight physics and scenery of FU3 and heaven!Just one wish!PS whats fly! like?Robs.

I've had dreams like that Rob. The problem is, I keep waking up just when it gets to the good bit ! ;) Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>The fs2002 corsait looks luverly but all the illusion is >lost when it stalls. Now most fs2002 planes sort of mush >forward but the code on this makes it cart wheel sort of in >a way that you couldn't imagine in real life. >Has been awhile since I've tried the FS2002/CFS2 Corsair............ so I tried it! Got up to altitude over the flat lands of southern Idaho for high frame rates, and then pulled back power for a "power off stall". With "active camera" in the VC mode, it almost seemed as if it shuddered & then dropped a wing. From the tower view, it even looked quite good!Now I havn't actually flown a Corsair like this, but I have sat in the cockpit of one being re-built for a museum in Seattle (back in the early 90's). Have flown in a P-51D where the rear fuselage fuel tank use to be, but wasn't the pilot, and we didn't do stalls. So I really don't know what exact gyrations the Corsair might do at the stall, but it certainly can drop a wing instead of mushing forward. Many heavy high wing loaded aircraft do just that..L.Adamson