Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Dash-8 preview and request

Guest jonpoint

Yes folks, the Dash8 is picking up speed now. The 3D model is almost 100% and I've started on some finer details like callsigns, sounds and flight model. There is still a lot of work ahead - probably about a month before the beta is released. Here's some shots from the 3D program with bodgy textures (only tail, gear and engines done) ;)http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e75193612fa0bcf.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e75196e13b00bcf.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e75199f14380985.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e7519ce14960852.jpgYes, I know you can't see the main gear doors! They are there but were not textured when the shots were saved. Note the transparent cockpit glass - I haven't placed the crew in there yet!Now, the request! Considering the developments in UK South and the general upsurge in people's interest to fiddle with FU3, I would like some people to do some repaints of the Dash8 so we have some different liveries for it when its released. I was going to do a British Airways and US Express liveries (even downloaded some shots in preparation from Airliners.net) but I'd really appreciate anyone lending a hand so I can finish the basic aircraft. I'd love to have a 'proper' livery for UK South in the first release :-)I'll supply a 3D model as a modified Beechjet resfile, along with some rough textures (and a tool for creating the correct palette if you don't have PSP) so you know what you're doing. Then you can export the textures and play to your heart's desire! If someone is interested, I should be able to send the files later this week. :-beerchugJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Verrrry nice Jon. I've seen a few of those around Sydney airport.

Guest twsimfan

Jon,Looks really great. A lot better detail than MS' AI Dash 8s in FS02. Can't wait to take her for spin!

Guest jonpoint

Thanks, guys ;)And yes, there is an AI version too... Dunno about the detail - I've had to do a lot of shaving, particularly on the fuselage. I started with a 16-section fuse but very quickly toned that down to 12! Some details have been added since the shots too - different main struts and better flaps (they slide in and out...). This added a few polygons but I'm still about 300 below the limit. This is important so I can include some people(!) and the APU exhaust (!?) before I'm done.Just gotta get the axles sorted out - you know, elevators in opposite directions, ailerons in the same direction - looks stupid but its only visual, luckily for the testflight crew :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Ansgar

Hello Jon,WOW, a great job, good detailed and it looks really promising! I can

Jon,It seems that your talents are rapidly approaching those of the mighty Ansgar :-)It certainly is a very impressive looking model, and I am looking forward to flying the British Airways version around the skies of FU3. Just make sure that this is the UNION FLAG colour scheme ;)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Rich Wren

Wow, I'm seriously impressed :-)I'd better not volunteer for a repaint though, I've got about four other projects lined up at the moment, not least of which is the Vamp.I'd like to see a Dash-8 in British European colours though, maybe that could jump the queue a bit...http://www.airliners.net/open.file/327485/S/Cheers,Rich.

Do these operate in the new FLYBE colour scheme ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Ansgar,Yes, my wheels are too wide! I have shaved them down a bit now that the doors are done. About the nose, it seems there are some differences here between models, just like the tailplane. Someone thought the tailplane was 'stepped' (wider elevator than tailplane) and it is on many, but not this one! The '300 has a 'straight' tailplane. I have been working from 'Q300' drawings as they apply to a Dash8-315Q (VH-TQZ, S/N#555). I will experiment with the nose a bit.Chris,Yes, FLYBE do have Dash-8s!Everyone,OK, as I'm not being inundated with livery offers I'll let you in on a little secret... ;)You can use MSFS Dash-8 textures on the fuselage, wings and tailfin! I deliberately 'back-mapped' the 3D model from MSFS textures to allow easy repainting. I'm not promising perfection here (specifically the cockpit are 'coz mine's got real glass) but its a good starting point. You may have to rotate them 90 degrees but that's a small price to pay. So, now do I have any takers?Go on, there's heaps of MSFS Dash-8 repaints get ideas from!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************