Sign in to follow this  
Guest R_Driscoll

Stansted

Guest R_Driscoll

I have uploaded Stansted to AVSIM. Hope you enjoy it!This is now three large airports for the UK-South region.In a break with tradition, you depart from a cargo region. But never fear, Glidernut's hangar is still in the scenery, just in a different location.Some things to look for: - stripped plane- ILS GS generator- the amazing terminal- new approach lighting- transparent terminalsAnd lots of new models.RobD.

Guest Quaxo

Gee, Rob, thanks!!! :-) Just downloaded it and tried it... It's so much different now! ;-)I have a few comments if you don't mind though...1) While installing it, it wants to overwrite a lot of the files from the other airports - but I checked, and while most are identical to the replaced ones, some aren't (like light20.bin, run050.mip and run230.mip). If I replace them, will this break something in the other airports?2) As for the night textures, aren't things a little too lighted? I mean, the parks have those yellow circles which are SOOO bright... Wasn't it better like in Heathrow? And the "long" terminal buildings, have the roof that is completely lit at night - I don't think they are really so luminous at night...3) As for the terminal building... It's great! Very nice to see. But the original isn't so transparent! You couldn't see theough all the building from the outside... And, still on this building, the roof texture is somewhat wrong - the roof is made of white "pyramids", or at least so I recall it... The pyramids are also visible very well in FU3 without 3D models...Great package anyway - Now we just need that Roland adds AI here too! :-)Cristian

Hello, It's a great package, as I can see.But I've a little problem : All the buildings floats about 2 or 3 meters above the ground. The Player plane, the AI plane and the car are on the ground.Do you know the reason ?I'll try to add AI traffic on this airport, too.RegardsRoland Wagener

Whow!!This is a great new airport and with new models also.Very well done!!I also discovered some problems after installing it.The ATC will no longer give me any other options than London City to fly to.The other airports are missing from the list,-including plymouthand southampton that I am working at.Anyone know a fix for this??I did a test to delete the "new Stansted", and reinstalled the old"Stan airport", and everything at the ATC came back to normal.My Plymouth airport is sort of ready to go, but this will be put ona hold until it will work with this new package from Robert.Thank youand best regardsLars Peter.

Guest Quaxo

Roland,Do you have the last (3rd) update CD of the scenery? It contains a new, revisited/fixed elevation. You could have an old one. If so, email me and I'll send you a patch...Cristian

Guest R_Driscoll

1) Overwriting files:Yes, let the installation overwrite files as it will upgrade some models. I have tested and am sure this will not cause a clash with previous models - usually they are small things like moving the lights to better positions. Even the runway ones are OK to overwrite. But also by including all models, I have made this a stand-alone package.2) Bright night lights:Yes, I have made it much brighter at night, based on night photos of the terminal area. I thought they looked very bright too, but I claim they match the photographs! Still, I will tone them down a lot if you like. I will wait for more feedback on the package before doing this.3) Main terminal:I know the real terminal is not as transparent. But I'm not building a plane - I'm building scenery. There IS NO partial transparency for models. Windows are holes. (FIXMIP tries to create partial transparency by filling a percentage of pixel spaces, but the effect is not good). Sorry Cristian - I am hitting the limits of the software here.As to the roof, I could not get any photos of the roof, so I copied the inside to the outside. But if you prefer white pyramids (and esp if that is the real situation) I will replace the roof with white pyramids. Except that I can't make real pyramids as the polygon count would make Ansgar nervous - it would still be a flat roof but shaded to look 3D. Would this be acceptable?And the pyramids are green in UK-South!So you have given me a few things to fix. I guess that measn there will be a version 2 in a while. But I won't change the Edit Airport section, so Roland, if you are listening and happy to add AI, go for it!RobD.

Guest glidernut

RobD.I like my new location, its grate to be inclooded, thanks.I carnt fined a stripped plane, unles its the dicoter which at night has a different textuer and if I cach it just right itis sort of pink camaflarge ?The new approach lighting is briliant, and just like the real thing.The terminal inclooded in the snap-shots is trooly amazing.Theres inuf room in there for it to be terned into a good aircraft museam.I like to be abel to see throo a bildings windows and dors, it looks morreal, and its good to explor inside.I carnt find an access ramp ? or any kined of ramp ?Or if its there, then I carnt see it.All Stansted models are on the ground, on my PC.Frame rates are OK for me.I dont want to say or show too much, as peopl like too fined and discuver things for themselvs.But theres plenty of new things too find.All in all, this is like a compleetly new flight sim and better than Ivsee anywhere els.glidernut.:-wave

Guest Quaxo

Robert,1) OK then I'll overwrite them. I was just a little too "prudent"! :-)2) What I find most strange, is the lighting of the roofs of the satellite terminals. In the attached picture, I can't see how those lights could light the roofs so much. But hey, if you saw the photos... I slept there, but I was *inside*! ;-)3) I'm not talking about the transparency of the glass. I'm talking about the building itself: it has walls and other things inside (see pictures), which "fill" the interior. That's why you can't see through it.As for the white pyramids: I can't find anymore the nice pictures I had - but I'm attaching some, which show better the color of the roof - I think it's definitely whiter than what you made it... :-)Also, have you seen this site?http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/St...ed_Airport.htmlCristian

Guest qvdg

Looks great Rob, I have had to put Bristol on hold for a little while due to work constraints but will pick it back up Asap. By the way I recognised the passenger entry "passages/door" in one of glidernuts screenshots below. When I look at the effort it takes me just to modify a building I don't know how you manage to do a whole airport ! By the way, for the hedges and fences I received your .e files but don't have the GIFS. Perhaps you have already made longer fence and hedge sections. Cheers,Quentin

I've installed Stansted it works as intended. Moreover, it looks great! I can't vouch for the accuracy of detailed structures but it looks quite realistic, day and night. Here's an idea--UK South has a lot of static aircraft showing as imprints in the terrain. From a proper altitude these look great but the illusion is lost when we taxi right over them.How about putting static airliners over these "bitmap airliners"? The textures show exactly where to put these static aircraft.best regards,Hans Petter

Guest Quaxo

Hans, the problem is that most of the times, those aircrafts are on the taxiways or on the runways. And putting a static plane on the taxiway would "block" that taxyway... :-(Cristian

Please check out the images above by Driscoll. Those airliners are parked and could easily be replaced by static aircraft. Those on the taxiways or runways could be edited out in an image editor (Paint Shop Pro, Corell etc.)best regards,Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

You don't need them. Just change the length of the hedge/fence in the .e file, rename the e-file, and also change the number of repeats in the e-file by changing the 5's to something bigger in proportion to your length increase - eg if you double the length use 10 where I used 5. You only need the MIP files - nothing else.From HEDGE:PART_MAPPINGS{0,(0,1),(0,0.3),(5,0.3);1,(0,1),(5,0.3),(5,1);2,(0,1),(0,0.3),(5,0.3);3,(0,1),(5,0.3),(5,1);4,(0,1),(0,0.3),(0.5,0.3);5,(0,1),(0.5,0.3),(0.5,1);6,(0,1),(0,0.3),(0.5,0.3);7,(0,1),(0.5,0.3),(0.5,1);8,(0,0.85),(0,0.60),(5,0.60);9,(0,0.85),(5,0.60),(5,0.85);}RobDand you get faster as you go along!

Guest R_Driscoll

Thanks Cristian. I made a white roof last night, and tested it. I have made it look heavily 3D, but because its really flat, from one side the pyramids seem to go up, from the other unfortunately they go down! Anyway, a white roof will be an improvement. But I will keep the inside roof green, as that is the colour shown by my inside photo - maybe its a trick of the light or possibly they have repainted the inside, I don't know. but my photo is definitely green.But if you disagree, there is a trick you can use to have a white internal roof - simply copy the white roof texture over to the green roof texture, and magic! - white internal roof too. These modifications will be available in a week or so, once I have collected enough imrpovements to make it worth while.As to the internal clutter, you are correct - the glass is blocked by all of the counters and stuff. Your drawing is very useful for showing that. I can add some of these things, and it would create quite a nice effect. I will try and see what I can do, but no promises. But I don't have any good photos for the inside objects. And they would have to very simple - the FU3 engine can't seem to sort surface order very well. I like having all the glass around anyway, I won't just block it off. But I will try and find a good solution.And also I will decrease the terminal roof lighting. Probably the big light pools too. RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

nice pictures! thanks for your feedback.There is no Dicoter. Not even a DC3, uncless you've added one? There's a Nomad going around, but its not stripped. And a Connie.The reason its colours look weird at night is because whoever made the Nomad used RGB colours instead of graphic textures. If I could make planes I would replace them. The stripped plane is somewhere else. It will be obvious when you see it.Access ramps aren't necessarily ramps. That's just what I call those motorised tunnel things that come out to meet the plane so that the passengers can walk directly into the Lounges without getting their hair mussed or their feet dirty. There are access ramps spidering out from the terminal buildings.Anyway, did you manage to repaint your name on the Glidernut hangar? It might be a smaller hangar than those around it, but of course its the most important one.