Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

You have to admit...

Guest twsimfan

You have to admit that "they" do a great job of rendering Mount Rainier.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e77d9a6510e0282.jpgI have a bit of a crisis. I updated the software for my Saitek X45 and it is for the moment DOA. So I set up my MS SW Precision 2 for flight sims. Not near enough buttons. I also have about 18 inches of snow outside and it is still snowing... and I have to be at work at 6 AM. It was in the mid to high 70s most of last week. Denver is strange that way! :-eek

Guest juvat2

Hi Tom,Have a couple of questions: Is that "stock FS2002 scenery Mt Ranier? Mine doesn't look anything close as good(my V5 showing its age maybe). Thats a nice looking airplane. What kind is it and is it free or payware?Thanks,Jim B.

The airplane looks like the default Cessna Caravan. The scenery is probably default, possibly with a mesh and/or new landclass. There's an excellent Landclass file in the library for the pacific NW which makes the scenery in the area look more like the real thing (and, more like FU2/3 also :-lol ). Seattle is just one big, green forest with default FS2002 scenery :-/

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest twsimfan

Jim & Jimmi,It is default FS scenery with Real Scene US Terrain Mesh.Jimmi,Tell me more about landclass files? (please) Also... do you know anything about how to get buildings & trees down to ground level when using mesh?

This is the download link for the filehttp://library.avsim.com/sendfile.php?DLID=19849Just place the bgl files in the FS2002 scenery folder and it will auotmatically replace default MS landclass.The landclass files cover a continuous area from Monterey, Ca to north of Vancouver, BC.What it does is change the terrain type definitions (forest, suburb, crop etc. etc.). It adds the smaller cities missing from the FS scenery and generally makes the terrain a bit more realistic. For example, look at Half Moon Bay in default FS2002. The actual city isn't there, the airfield is surrounded by forest. Anyone who lives there or has played FU knows that it doesn't look like that. After installing the update, it looks a bit more realistic (but still not as accurate as FU, of course since it uses actual satelite scenery).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest hoohah

>Jim & Jimmi, >>It is default FS scenery with Real Scene US Terrain >Mesh. >>Jimmi, >>Tell me more about landclass files? (please) Also... do you >know anything about how to get buildings & trees down to >ground level when using mesh? Landclass? Ya gotta have it! Especially if you are flying in a familiar area. I generally use the free fs2k mesh available at http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainusa.htmand the Pacific NW LC already mentioned. And I have to tell ya, I like the overall artistic "feel" and colors of this setup on msfs better than FU3's Seattle region (blaspheme!) even though I miss the photoreal textures (but the "outter terrian" looks a whole lot better ;). Of course there is not an up or down draft to be found anywhere in that beautiful mountain range...And after a year or so I've found that I just don't like the autogen stuff much at all. So turn it off and that will solve the "floating" autogen prob. I think you'll find that you won't miss the autogen with good Landclass installed.break from flying new Baron>-T Edwin (hoo)

Guest juvat2

Thanks for the info fellas,I had some time ago purchased the Lago georender ranger creek scenery. I'll go back there and see if Mt Ranier is part of it. The cessna caravan of mine never looked as good as Toms and to check it out again had to invert it's alpha channel textures to get a look at it. Doesn't come close to Tom's, must be my v5 or how I have to tweak it's settings. I've gotta turnoff scenery shadows again, as my v5 has the tree's with square shaped shadows-yuk.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e7afa714acd09e9.jpgYep, I need to switch them shadows off. http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e7afb044cb2c568.jpg

Is that terrain mesh good? I currently use the default mesh for most of my scenery for two reasons:1) Framerate - I have a high-end computer, but even so, I still don't get great framerates in FS2002. Installing addon scenery drops the framerate further.2) Display problems. When using addon meshes, rivers no longer follow vallyes, airports are sometimes placed in craters or elevated above the rest of the scenery etc. Also it seems the infamous blurries of FS2002 are more obvious when using an addon mesh.I shall download the San Francisco bay Mesh and see how it looks.

MSFS / XP

Just looking at the second pic, his video card is producing very strange looking scenery. In addition to the shadow problem, the curvature of the land looks awfully "weird".... considering the zoom distanceL.Adamson

Yup looks like someone needs a new videocard :)

MSFS / XP

Guest hoohah

>Is that terrain mesh good? I currently use the default mesh >for most of my scenery for two reasons: >>1) Framerate - I have a high-end computer, but even so, I >still don't get great framerates in FS2002. Installing addon >scenery drops the framerate further. >>2) Display problems. When using addon meshes, rivers no >longer follow vallyes, airports are sometimes placed in >craters or elevated above the rest of the scenery etc. Also >it seems the infamous blurries of FS2002 are more obvious >when using an addon mesh. >>I shall download the San Francisco bay Mesh and see how it >looks. I don't know about frame rate drops. I expect there to be some with the added resolution. But I have a different viewpoint about frame rates from most people. I keep mine locked at 16 fps. And I don't notice a drop unless the plane I'm flying has a (computationally) complex panel or model and/or I'm in an area with alot of AI traffic (like KATL with all the PAI/Aardvark traffic I've added).I think you can fix the strange river effect with CoastLine Maker; but I'm not sure. I generally just laugh it off when I see those strange gravity defying formations. Airport elevations can be mended with flatten switches (or messing with bgl files), but with the mesh I use the only bad case I've seen is Boeing Field (serious crater) - I don't mind plateaus.The default mesh just doesn't satisfy me, especially where I fly VFR most in Southwest VA. Without the higher res mesh, it's like, "where the heck are the mountains?". I would like 10m mesh of the Blue Ridge if I could get it...they still aren't as sharp as they should be.-T Edwin (hoo)

Hi Tom,The lower you set the terrain accuracy, the faster your frame rates get but, as a consequence, trees and other objects are more likely to miss the surface. Try setting it to max and see if your frame rates are acceptable. Terrain accuracy does wage a pretty high toll.You may still run into some problems because the elevation of the ground in one mesh may be different in another. As a result, scenery that used to touch the ground may no longer do so or may get buried.It would be nice if objects could be specified only by long/lat position and the scenery engine would place them on the surface, whatever its elevation. In other words, like FLED does, though I'm not sure if that works post-edit in FU3. What you want is a truly dynamic placement.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest twsimfan

Thanks Jimmi... I'll try it out tomorrow and report back. :)

Guest twsimfan

"I had some time ago purchased the Lago georender ranger creek scenery. I'll go back there and see if Mt Ranier is part of it. The cessna caravan of mine never looked as good as Toms and to check it out again had to invert it's alpha channel textures to get a look at it. Doesn't come close to Tom's, must be my v5 or how I have to tweak it's settings. I've gotta turnoff scenery shadows again, as my v5 has the tree's with square shaped shadows-yuk."I have their Diamond Point one. As to the Caravan... well the V5 is a great card for FU but FS is not fond of it. Inverting the alpha fixes the reflections but as the owner of both a V5 and a 9700 Pro I can assure you that everything in FS looks much better with the 9700. :)I don't remember the square shadows though. :-hmmm