Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

UK Airports listing

Guest jonpoint

As mentioned in other threads, we rapidly need to define exactly which airports are going to be included in the UK region. This will allow all UK developers to be more constructive (and avoid duplication). It will also allow us to come up with a new set of ATC and airport sounds, specific to the region e.g. replace 'Seattle Approach' with 'Heathrow Approach' etc. We can only modify the resource files if we know that it won't be changed later because it's so much work in the first place!Initially, we just need to nominate the controlled airports but it would also be good to start nominating frequencies for smaller strips as well. If we are careful, we can share Unicom frequencies between small airports in each area which will avoid the current problems in Seattle and Sanfran where choosing any name or frequency wipes out multiple airports.This nomination will also allow proper AI planning. Once we know the airports, we can create complete AIplan and airspace files. Doing this now avoids confusion later. The AIplan will then magically spring into life when each airport is created for it.It's 'now or never' folks - if we don't sort this now, every airport and package runs the risk of killing something else. I know we don't have the benefit of all working in the same office but we must still plan as a team. Thanks.As I don't currently have it running, can some kind person start off by letting us know what's already there? Richard, Rob, John, Christian, Andre???? :-beerchugJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Quaxo

Jon,I'm not an airport modeler so I have little to say now - I can just say that we should include, in the future, all major airports (Southampton, Shoreham, and other international airports) but also many smaller, uncontrolled ones. Even little airports like Goodwood, with grass runways, are important, as FU3 is at its better from small airports with small aircraft.I think that the airports authors should add here what they have done, with all the frequencies used. I can't post them, as some of them have changed since the release...Cristian

Well.I have the last week been working with Plymouth and Southampton.The plymouth is finished, and ready to go with new ILS beacons,airspace.txt,and approach freq.I have also made a new aispace.txt and ILS beacons for southampton, and this is working well.This airport has no models yet, and also have problems with the name"south" in the "fbo.textbox".(anyone else want to do Southampton??)The ATC. controllers will not take this name for the navigation.Some letters in the name has to be changed for some reason.For example "h(southamton)" is accepted by the controllers.If anyone wants it, I can upload Plymouth including the airspace.txtfor both airports (GHI)(GHD) and the beacons.ILS Plymouth: RW.31 ILS Southampton:RW.05Best regards.Lars Peter.

Hello, PeterDon't forget that all modifications in the beacons (ILS, ...) must be included in the file BEACONS.FLD which is "owned" by Bogdan. There must be only one version of this file shared by all the developpers because there is only one file for the entire UK-South region. The last version was March, 23th on Bogdan's web site.For the AIRSPACE.TXT, there is no problem because we can append your file with ours.I think it is a good idea to fly to an airport like Plymouth far in the West from London and its suburbs.Best regardsRoland Wagener

Roland.Yes, I am avare of the beacons.fld. and this will be at Bogdan's place.I would also like someone else to do some test of the packages to see if there is better improvements to be done before any uploads.Just post your adress, and I'll send it over.Best Regards.Lars Peter.

My e_mail address is : roland.wagener@wanadoo.frThank you per advanceRoland Wagener

Hello Lars Peter,I've just received your Plymouth airport package and I must say "Congratulations !!!"It's a great job.I'll test it better, but, for now, it's a very nice scenery and all works fine.Best regardsRoland Wagener

Roland.That is very good.I will do some more work with Southampton and see what I can do with this.Thanks.Lars Peter.

Guest Robs

Hi All,I am currently working on Filton near Bristol. I am slow because this is my first airport and am learning as I go. I have a runway some buildings some taxiways and it works smoothly. Anyway I would say the following extra airports would give a good spread across the UK - in no particular orderExeter,Cardiff,Biggin HillManstonGoodwood (Chicester)FarnboroughChalgrove (need a meteor for this!)Bournmouth (hurn)Yeovil (Westland)with the others I know about eg plymouth southampton gatwick heathrow london city these would give military civil and historic places for all sorts of challenges - wondrous variety chaps!Of course there is the bludgen way of doing this - I give you a UK airfield listing and you recourd sound groups for all - allows for never ending expansion nearly! UK region might include wales and north one day. Is this a mega big deal - I dunno Of course individuals would have to decide thier own 25 fav airports and have the rest as POIs.Waddya think?Rob.

Guest Rich Wren

Hi Rob,It was my intention to start airport building real soon now, but it now looks like work is going to get in the way for the next three weeks. After that I'm on holiday for two more so I won't have the chance to do so for at least a month.I had intended to build Shoreham as it is my local airfield and has a hard runway (I'm a Beech pilot mainly), depending on how that went I was also thinking of doing Goodwood and maybe the local glider field at Parham too. As you can see building Goodwood is some way off in my planned schedule so if anyone else wants to do it they're welcome.I'd like to see Cranfield built as well but I have no intention of doing this as yet.Realistically though I don't see us being able to model all the airports in the region. It may be enough to put down a strip of tarmac and a hut on most if we have some detailed ones spread around.Just some thoughts I wanted to throw into the discussion...Cheers,Rich.

Guest jonpoint

Rob,Goody - a list to start from!We can have a total of 75 airport icons I believe. We should allow for future expansion and limiting ourselves to 25 airports for UK South may be too limiting. Can any of you wonderful Poms tell me what the airport 'mix' is in the UK? I'd always assumed that the majority were in the south, in which case we could allocate more icons to the area. I'm sure we don't need to save 50 for Scotland and Wales!As you mention, we can use POIs for some uncontrolled strips. I suppose my questions are too bland sometimes! I'll try being more direct...1. How many large, controlled airspaces (like Seattle) exist?2. Which airports do these cover?3. How many regional controlled airports exist outside the above major airspaces and what are they?4. How many uncontrolled (but busy) airports exist?5. The rest? Unknowns and weekend (glider) spots?BTW, I'm not suggesting we need to utilise ALL of the resources. That's just too much work :-( I am suggesting at least we hammer down all the airports we'd like callsigns for and nominate the frequencies to be used. The rest can be done slowly. It may be that you end-up having to select say, 'Seattle' in the FLED soundgroup when you want 'Heathrow' to be said. I only want to alter the sounds, not the source code. That way, changes can be done via simple Resviewer scripts.If people would like to start mailing their lists and suggestions to me I'll start collating some info :-)PS I actually installed UK last night but ran out of time to do too much. I still have to install the packages and copy my planes over but she's gettin' there :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Robs

For Jon,I have sent you an email but am not sure you have it. (some bounced as the files are large)I have a complete UK airfield list (including private airfields) I have a LARS list/map (for Farnborough approach etc)If you do the sound groups for all these, you will completely cover every UK field that anyone will want to do (even if they just do the private fields as POIs to save on the icons)If you didn't get airfield.txt or radar.jpg then mail me back and ask and let me know your gateway size!If you need pom voices then get a list of spoken text sentences to me with resolution requirements and I'll get some english voices to speak and record and mail you a CD. Also i think it is important to have an honorary auzzie voice to honour the Oz input to FU3.For others.I have Nav aids lists and co-ords.I have airfield diagrams for most airfields.Please only request files if you need them (I don't think posting some of these files is "clever").So when you are ready Rich let me know the airfield you wanna do and I'll send you a plan for you to tick off the buildings!!!Rob

Guest Robs

Whatever airfields we all decide on - it is important to get a mixture of big and small alike We want jumbo's, gliders and trainers all to be able to have airfields appropriate to them and places to fly to and from.I want to see DC3's ferrying people to goodwood on race day.I want to fly from manston and biggin hill in something military.I want to fly along motorways doing traffic reports and most of all I want to make that git in the tower who has had me "on the go" for my last 3 perfect landings cos he can't manage traffic spill his coffee with a jet powered bang.

Guest Robs

Anyone who models Goodwork HAS to put in some classic cars on the track Dtypes Etype Lotus f1 circa 67 Type 47 and GT40's in gulf colors to look like Goodwood Revival - You have to do the classic grandstands and the towers absolutely right.I recomend goodwood revival to anyone - to see 2 spitfires barrel rolling with 4 feet between wingtips and at 300 ft or so is awsome even though health and safety is likely yo stop this some day (they are no longer allow to do Fi after Jack Braham had a nasty crash and knocked himself out - he should have died but F1 drivers are nearly all unbreakable!!)