Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

More (real) Dash-8 previews

Guest jonpoint

Well folks, the last previews were straight off the 'drawing board'. These ones are actually from FU3 to prove she works! Loadin' up and waitin' to go...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e90a29e21564fd4.jpgFired up and moving off.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e90a26b21049fbd.jpgOn climb-out.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e90a2e221cd21cf.jpgUp in the clouds.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e90a32622499fbd.jpgLow approach flyover. Block yer ears!http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e90a35122a1cf9f.jpgSo, there you go - a Dash-8 for FU3!!! The 'Beta' should be ready in about 7 days ;)So, no takers for some UK/US liveries? :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Whow!!This looks fantastic.This bird is a perfect addon for this sim.Another good reason to keep on flying FU3.Keep on with the good work.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest twsimfan

Jon,She looks truely outstanding! :-sun1

Yes, that's my kind of aircraft! Regarding repaints I'll have to get the new Big Red finished first. Once the Dash 8 is finished and uploaded I'm sure that some of us Europeans will take you up on the challenge. British liveries would be nice and also German, French or Scandinavian. From a Norwegian perspective Scandinavian or Norwegian Air Shuttles would be good "real life" alternatives. The Qantas livery is really beautiful. Please send me a beta version to test out how she flies :-)Hans Petter

Guest Ansgar

Hello Jon,a very nice bird you have created here! Thanks for sharing this nice "mid-size" plane with us. We just need such a nice bird in our airports which are overcrowded by B747

Guest jonpoint

Thanks, Folks :-)It's such a relief to actually see it flying but there are some issues still to be sorted -like a cockpit. It currently just runs the old Baron cockpit ;) My Dash-8 cockpit photo collection is not very good (I haven't got any 'straight-on' shots) and I don't have a rear shot so if anyone can help here I'd appreciate it.I'll email the beta to those of you that requested it later this week. I'm currently trying to sort the startup sounds to make them a bit smoother in the transition from 'start' to 'run'.Steffen has offered to do some callsigns for the other liveries too! Thanks, Steffen ;)The flight model is vastly better now due to me finding some real values to plug into it! The top speed is still a little low (240kts vs 290kts) but it's better than 398 :-eekThose of you with experience in flight models should try some changes and feedback their experiences to the 'group'.BTW, The inaugural Dash-8 'group' so far consists of Ansgar, Hans-Petter and Steffen. Anyone else interested in joining should post here. Thanks:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,I have no talents to contribute directly to your project but I am aware of a couple of FS2002 files with interior Dash8 views that may prove helpful. Both files are available at AVSIM. One is a rather nice panel produced by Ian Grant. It is contained in a file called dhc8v09_ig.zip which I downloaded in August 2002. The other, which I downloaded in October 2002 contains the additional interior cockpit views. It was posted by Dan Port. The images in Dan's file do include a rear view. The file is called dhc8_side_views.zip. By the way, the same views were repeated in a Feb 2003 file called dhc8_v1.004.zip, also posted by Dan Port.Good luck,Stan V.

Guest jonpoint

Stan,Thanks for your suggestions. I already have a copy of but I didn't know about the side views! Thanks for that - it's a pity about the FO in the right view (blocks out most details) but hey!BTW, you DO have talents worth contributing! You just did. Thankyou :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,Thanks for the compliment. FYI, I gave you two references to the side views from Dan Port. The latter (second) reference does indeed have a FO in the right side view but the earlier of the two files has the right view unobscured. I know I said they were duplicates but I erred.Stan V.

Guest Rich Wren

Hi Jon,I finally get a chance to get back here and I find I'm missing all the fun, there's a new comment board system and your Dash-8 is almost ready. I'm itching to have a go at repainting this into British European colours but it'll be another three weeks before I get the chance. Until then I'll just have to wait...Cheers,Rich.

Guest R_Driscoll

I test-flied last night. I used Gatwick (a few pictures below). Nice sounds as I started engines and increased pitch and throttle - but daughter was asleep so couldn't go too loud. I took off - it was directionally stable, cleaned up, no problems on steep ascent to 5000 ft, looped the traffic pattern and set her down with no real difficulties - it lined up well, lost height quickly so I matched power until it felt in good control, nice touchdown and rollout, and parked her back at the new hangar (especially imported from Sweden for the big event). I didn't use thrust reverses (doesn't have them!) and I didn't test directional stability too much in landing, kept it straight as I could, but certainly I had no problems with landing (full flap, full pitch). The plane felt heavy, which was good, and changes in pitch required positive pressure with a bit of porpoising on my first attempt - but fine pitch control fixed that. She had impressive power and wanted to climb, so that on the traffic pattern I was probably at half throttle, but I was flying at 160-180 knots (sorry Tower).Of course I love the transparent cockpit and the wing wheel pods and gear u/c are excellent. Sounds IMHO are already great. Visually nice, although the abrupt angle join from the nose cone to the body looks a little odd to me. I've seen many Dash 8's, but it still looked a little too sharp.All the best with its development Jon!RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Rob,Thanks for that. I have a further-developed model on the go now. I have sorted the 3D cockpit a bit and the sounds also, There are also some changes to reduce the roll rate, alter weight distribution and clean-up the 3D model a bit. I have real issues with the 3D model as it has 1965 polygons(!) and I simply cannot add another 30-40 to clean it up much further. Somewhere around 1980 polygons and FU3 crashes :-(BTW, did you see on the news about the 'Drug Boat' crew being transported back to Sydney for trial? Notice the aircraft? Yep, that's right! Good ol' VH-TQZ :-beerchug She gets around - I saw her in Seattle AND London on the weekend. ;) Hope those prisoners didn't put their feet on the seats...Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

No, I missed that news item. But she sure is a busy plane! I'll have to check WHICH plane - VH-TQZ doesn't remind me of any, unless its the Dash-8? It looks like the number on the side in your pictures - well it must be. Jon, you can get very cryptic sometimes.RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Rob,"Jon, you can get very cryptic sometimes."Cryptic? You've been flying it for the last week - didn't the nice ATC person ask for your callsign :-lolYes, it was sheer conincidence. There I was, climbing out of CVA (with the F9 view on - luuurv those flybys) when my attention was taken by the late news. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a Qantas tail, then the camera panned across and... VH-TQZ was the rego. I then realised the futility of my happiness and went back to flying.I had hoped to share it with someone though :-(PS Dash8 update this week ;)PPS I think the UK's OK! Flew it for almost an hour last night with no lockups. Of course I have NO packages in the folder now so I'll put them back, one by one until she flops again. Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************