Sign in to follow this  

Bast AI Pilots =)

Guest Joshieca

So I am on a cross the USA flight from Maine to San Diego CA. All is going smooth. I am flight level at 32K ft. at 345 kts. Auto pilot is set. I am about one and half hours into the flight. AI Traffic starts to get heavy outside of Chicago. I am now over the upper midwest, in Kansas City air space. When from the south this 757 UPS, at the same exact altitude I am flying at approaches. This SOB crosses right in front of me, missing me by only a few hundred feet. I get caught up in his wake turbulence, it sends my plane plummeting down to 25K ft!! By the time I get flight level again at 32K, ATC has canceled my flight plan! :( How bitter is that! I guess that will teach me not to be reading a magazine while flying at 4X speed and with the auto pilot on.

I didn't Think FS2k2 Factored in Wake Turbulence? :-hmmmGreg

Guest Raptors4590

Me neither, but I guess ANYTHING is possible.Well except me getting any on a Sunday, grr.

Ya!!!! Im the Wise guy that has to enter the picture and say somthing that will probably erk you off.you said>>>>>>"I am flight level at 32K ft"Have you ever given it some thought that if you would fly at the correct cruising ALT this problem would'nt happen?For one at or above FL290 heading from 360 thru 179 FL 290,330,370,410 are the standard CRZ ALT, between 180 thru 359 FL 310, 350, 390,ect.Hope this helps you at and if you are flying at FL320 please give me warning so Im not anywhere in the area.................LOL :)http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...9d503cc53ab.jpg

Guest Joshieca

Actually thanks SimMan...I don't know too much about flying at that level. I am no pilot by any means... So I will try that the next time....but then again why was the AI flight at the level then? =)

Guest Joshieca

>I didn't Think FS2k2 Factored in Wake Turbulence? :-hmmm >>Greg I didn't think that it did either, but something sure as hell knocked me for a spin. It happened right as I was passing through his contrail.

Guest GalacticCowboy

If his heading was 360 through 179, he was at the correct altitude. I think the actual breaks are "even" and "odd" - if you're flying east you fly an "even" altitude (300, 320, 340, etc.) and if you're flying west you fly an "odd" altitude (310, 330, 350, etc.).

Hi Curtis,That is true to a certain altitude. I THINK above FL280 it goes to 4,000 feet instead of 2,000 feet. Someone will jump in and help us here. I fly mostly the Baron so I don't have to worry about such things. Life is simple at 9,000 feet!

Guest Martin

West = evenEast = oddFor VFR flights add 500'.There are a few ways to say that, and to remember it, but I never bothered with that - I just learned it. ;-)Above FL290 separation is indeed increased to 2000' vertically (because pressure altimeters are less accurate at high altitudes), and this obviously means the odd/even rule doesn't work. So, as FL290 is an eastbound level, the next level, FL310 is westbound. There is no FL300 or 320, so the next after that is FL330, which becomes eastbound. FL350 = westbound, FL370 east, FL390 west etc.BUT and this is a big but (that's why it's both in capitals, bold and italics) instruments are getting more reliable, and airspaces more crowded. So in Europe, in the NAT (North Atlantic), Pacific and some other areas too I think, RVSM has been iplemented. It stands for Reduced Vertical Separation minima, which means minima is 1000' even above FL290. So, to put it simply, in RVSM airspace (most of Europe, remember!) the odd/even rule applies.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

And one more small reminder - set your altimeter to 29.92 after passing through 18,000 feet. That makes everybody use the same playing field in the flight levels.Bob

Guest RonB49

SimMan had it right,"Have you ever given it some thought that if you would fly at the correct cruising ALT this problem would'nt happen?For one at or above FL290 heading from 360 thru 179 FL 290,330,370,410 are the standard CRZ ALT, between 180 thru 359 FL 310, 350, 390,ect.Hope this helps you at and if you are flying at FL320 please give me warning so Im not anywhere in the area.................LOL "!! But wait!!MSFS2002 AI traffic violates this FCC regulation. They still fly at 1000' vertical separation with odd FLs eastbound and even FLs westbound. I discovered this while flying west at FS310 and meeting an eastbound MD80 at my altitude. Scary.You can confirm the altitudes SimMan mentions in a FARAIM or on the legend af a High Altitude Enroute Chart. The FS2002 AI altitudes can be confirmed by examining flightplan.txt using TTools. R-

Gary,If you are using Steve Small's reworked airfile you can get that Baron to 240 with no sweat! Just make sure you have the o2 on!

if he was flying in the U.S (and he was),he was indeed at a wrong levelif he was flying on a NAT or (most part of) Europe(due to RVSM),he'd been correct.(he actually also should have a RVSM-approved aircraft)but RVSM will also be implemented in the U.S. in the near future I except,so you could regards it as a kind of anticipation on MS's side ;) regards,Seba

Happened to me once--I thought I was going crazy. I was playing the role of fighter jock, using the AI tracking tool released with FSUIPC... Got up right behind a 777, and everything just went downhill after that (for lack of a better word). The same point--passing through the contrail, did me in....One of the most realistic moments I ever had in this sim came when I was flying from PHX to SLC. Just before the Grand Canyon, at FL350, I crossed paths with an AI jet at a right angle to mine, at FL330.... I've seen this numerous times while flying on business, and FS2002 recreated the sense of it so well, I found myself astonished...John, KPHX

Hi Dale,I'll give it a go SOMEDAY, maybe! My verticle separation rule, simply stated is if I can't read the road signs, I'm too high. ;) Gary