Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Return of the Mountain Monster

Guest jonpoint

Bob,Since you reinstalled Window$ and still have the problem, it COULD be a bad HD but Norton should have told you that. Try running 'chkdsk.exe' and see if it runs OK and that it reports the correct data. A size that's too big or small is an instant indicator that your HD is flaky. Another thing which has always been a last resort but now I use it with a lot of 'rogue' systems is memory testing. No, Windows cannot do it at all (don't believe the hype) but I found a little prog that does it well. Using this prog I have found a total of 5 faulty SIMMs, one was in a new PC we had just bought. The distributor was so impressed (and embarassed) they started using it too and found 10-15% of their new stock had faults in it. This then exposed their supplier who had been buying reject stock!Please find attached one file :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Allan_D

Hi Jon,Cloud faces? I just set up some clouds and go for a flight, There usually there, High allitudes use the Beech jet for your flight, You should see themhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/6640.jpgI was told these are faces of some of the developers of FU3http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/6641.jpgIf you get to close they'll blow you away :-lolhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/6643.jpgHave a nice day and have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Guest Robert_S

Thanks for that file, Jon.It's not a 5-second test, is it? :-)CHKDSK tells me to run SCANDISK.After the disaster with Speed Disk, I'm afraid to run anything but Solitaire! :-lol[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest Robert_S

I almost posted that one too, Allan! :-lol[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest jonpoint

Bob,"CHKDSK tells me to run SCANDISK."Is that the 'You should run Scandisk because it can find and fix more etc...' or did chkdsk.exe fail to run? The reason I suggested it is simple. Chkdsk.exe doesn't alter anything on the disk and simply checks to make sure that directory and file structures are OK. If it doesn't run at all, you have a HD problem. Scandisk CAN fix the 'fixable' ones. Running 'Disk Doctor' (or whatever the current Norton equivalent is) to mark bad sectors and 'recover' lost space is kinda like using painter's tape over the rust holes in your RV - the problem isn't fixed and will get much worse. Unlike RVs, HDs can't be welded-up and repainted :-lolIgnoring viruses (and I've found it good not to be paranoid about this - many people have wasted perfectly good installations that could have been recovered easily), 99% of the time it's a crook HD. Norton is only ~slightly better at some things than the basic tools but face it - if the most basic tool you have (chkdsk.exe) falls over then it's probably safe to assume a drive problem. I suggested the memory checker because I have had what seemed like drive problems that were actually caused by bad memory - the hard way (bought a new HD then had the same problem). HDs are so cheap these days it may pay to buy a new one and, while you still can, migrate what you have over to it (but do a fresh Windows install on it first). Besides, you need heaps of space for all the new goodies ;) Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Andre,Huh? Have I corrupted it or something? I've flown the same area a few times since without seeing anything. In fact, I've made a point of it.Too weird!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Fly it again tonight after 7:28 pm. I am sending soothing psi waves by ether and it will be OK by then.(that's what I tell students before exams too).

Guest Robert_S

Jon,Yes, it's the 'You should run Scandisk because it can find and fix more etc...' I'll try running CHKDSK and that memory test application here soon. I'd really like to find out what's up with this system.>Unlike RVs, HDs can't be welded-up and repainted :-lolNo? Aw rats. :-lol>HDs are so cheap these days it may pay to buy a new one and, while>you still can, migrate what you have over to it (but do a>fresh Windows install on it first). >>Besides, you need heaps of space for all the new goodies ;)What I have in mind (and will indeed create heaps of space) is buying a mobile rack or two (so I can easily swap hard drives with little more than a power cycling), along with a couple of spare drawers, and set up a new drive with (probably) Win2000, and maybe even another with WinXP. Use whatever OS is best for the given app or game, and eventually do a complete reformat on the existing drive (assuming it's good... it is only a year old)(which means nothing, I know) and reinstall stuff that wants an old OS, and even DOS games, if desired. Hard drives are affordable, and the racks aren't much at all... under $20USD, with extra drawers about $10. Heck, might as well have a variety of Operating Systems, each on its own drive, hm? :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest jonpoint

Rob,"Fly it again tonight after 7:28 pm. I am sending soothing psi waves by ether and it will be OK by then."OK? I flew to the same spot and the sim locked up. Wrong waves again, huh? I think you sent some student waves which were intended to stop me playing games and go back to studying :-lolWell, it didn't work - I played with the flight model till 10 - so there!Man, she's tight now. Just gotta get that cockpit into shape and we're away. I also spent some time last night doing new instrument surrounds - it's about time we stopped recycling the Beechjet/Baron ones :-hahHave a great weekend!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Great idea Bob but please be careful! You HAVE to leave the XP drive in the PC or you'll have to re-initialise it all the time! XP thinks that when you alter HDs, you are pirating XP onto another PC. If you do choose to remove the XP drawer, don't plug it into another PC or...The best fix is to use your XP drive as a 'multi-boot' drive (i.e. leave it in but only store XP and your officey stuff on it but set it for multi-boot operation). Then you can have all your other OSs on separate, removable drives. I did this many years ago when I had DOS, Windows 3.11 (hey, it was '94...), OS2 Warp AND Linux on the same PC :-eek . I used the OS2 multi-boot and installed only OS2 into the primary partition then DOS & Windows into the second partition. Linux sat on the second drive, complete with a separate HPFS partition for OS2!Worked like a beaut! I remember running MSFS5 on it and being impressed beyond belief! Those were the days, eh? Just check your XP documentation or hit the $ite and check the FAQs. It can be done fairly easily :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Well that's odd. I thought it would fix things.But now I think about it, its never helped the students either.Maybe the ether's down?Anyway, I hope it doesn't slow down your Dash! Avagoodweegend, and don't work too hard,RobD.