Sign in to follow this  

FU3 perspective

Flying from Paine Field to Boeing Field at 3000ft IAS 130knts it takes 5 minutes flying time before Seattle city buildings appear and 7 before Boeing Field pops up. In real life these would be in view sooner. Any way this can be configured ? I'm using XP 2.4GHz Pent4 with Radion 9000, all sim settings on max.Thanks all you guys for excellent add-ons .Echofox

Echofox,I am dubious if this kind of thing can be changed. I would love to see it, but it's probably about as likely as being able to install all of my SanFran scenery packages without the 10 second freeze just after take-off or landing. I assume that you would need to dig deep into the FU3 source code to sort these two issues out.What this community would give to get its hands on the FU3 source code.........Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

How about the polygon density setting that Glidernut mentioned? By increasing some number from the default 100 to 1000 trees and buildings appear sooner rather than popping up as you get close. The obvious downside is a frame rate penalty.Hans Petter

Hans,Is this something that can be changed in the flt3.cfg file ? If so, what do I modify ? Has anyone tested whether this affects that 10 second freeze that I get in the SanFran area with all scenery packages installed ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest glidernut

Hi Echofox,I dont know how to speed up or slow douwn sim time.Iv just spent sum time trying difernt lins in the cfg file on a suk-it and see baceis with no luk.Sim-time and real_time drift apart dipending on so meny diferant things,not leest the frame-rate, which is mostly how good your grafix card is.But the GHz of your PC "ie the speed your PC can read datea" also afectstime.Chris Low,s 10 second freeze is only 5 seconds on my 3.3GHz PC.I get a similer thing in Seattle cus I got 135 Seattle packages.As Hans Petter mentioned, puting this line in the cfg filemodel_detail_scale 1000.0will hav a small frame-rate hit, witch dus afect time a little.But Hans Petter has misunderstood the afect of having this line.But thats my falt.I need to post sum snaps to explane the afect properly.Try flying from Paine Field to Boeing Field useing this weather file.Its named "South Wind", you get there a bit quiker.glidernut.

Guest jonpoint

My 2 bob's worth!John's (Glidernut's) model_detail_scale 1000.0 command works well but does not make models appear earlier. What it does is make sure they are rendered at a higher LOD (level of detail) when first viewed. In other words, without the command, a tree at a distance just looks like a dark 'lump' and appears to have no texture at all. It also has a reduced polygon count. As you approach the object, the renderer will re-render the object with progressively better resolution.With the command though, as soon as FU3 determines it should be displayed, it will be rendered with '10 times' more resolution - i.e. fully rendered.Makes my trees look heaps better too - thanks, John!Oh! Make sure you try adjusting your 'distance clipping'! I always thought the darned thing worked backwards :-lolAs Chris said, if only we could access the source code...Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Thanks to all for your replies, I'm working on it !glidernt's wind installed.Chris, you were in the mist this morning from Fleetwood,even using ctrl-shift-m it would be hard to find your house?XP works fine on my computer.Regards.

Echofox,Tell me what you fly around in, and I'll wave next time that I see an aircraft of that type ;-) Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi ChrisFlying confined to FU2/3 these days although I have good binoculars keeping watch on north side of bay.At least 3 FU flyers on Fylde, as yet confined to USscenery.Echofox