Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Small planes

I have just tried flying around in a couple of the small prop planes in FU3 (Mooney and Arrow), and I cannot believe how responsive they are compared to the Beechjet. It seems that getting used to the flight characteristics of the Beechjet has made me forget just how much heavier it feels when compared to these other planes. Even the Baron seems incredibly light and agile now. I also noticed that the Mooney has incredibly powerful brakes ! Are these realistic ?Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hehehe Chris,may it be you trained a little too much with my B747-400? :D *ggg* (I couldn

Ansgar,I haven't flown your 747-400 since you revealed that an improved version was in the works :-)With respect to the flight models of these planes, I was simply commenting on the huge difference between the small planes and the Beechjet. I hadn't flown any of the small prop planes for some time, so the contrast was dramatic. Maybe I'm just an expert jet pilot now :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It takes a lot of flight hours to transition from one aircraft design to another. Most real pilots are rated for one or two aircraft and that's all they ever fly. We flightsimmers expect to jump from one aircraft to the other and do well on our first attempt. I fly the Baron better than I do any other sim aircraft. That's because I've spent a lot of time flying it. If you own a car you drive this one better than a rented car that you've just picked up. If it's a similar one it won't be a big deal but most people would struggle with a van. Give them a bus and they'll wrap it around the first light mast they encounter. Even a seasoned DC 3 pilot would not be able to fly a jet. Real pilots transition up in small increments, starting out with a trainer. It's fun to test out all kinds of aircraft. However, if we want to gain proficiency it's a good idea to stick to one design for some time, even as flightsimmers.Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

I've become very conservative in my old age - I tend to fly the same plane for a few weeks at a time, then switch - I can't afford to switch planes every time for the very reason Chris mentions - it takes time to adapt and I make mistakes - forget the cowling on the Mooney, or how to use the reversers on the Beechjet, or sink too fast on approach.But that's plasure flying. When I'm testing new scenery, I get a light zippy plane (Cessna 172, baron is OK) so that I can turn quickly but get out of trouble when I need to. And I often need to - I've got spiky bits of parliament house in my windscreen, leaves and branches in my wings, bricks all over the tail, ....RobD

Guest jonpoint

Tell me about it!When I was first working on the GeeBee it was so twitchy I couldn't even keep it level - compared to the DC3 I was working on before :-lolBy the time it was released it was much more stable and predictable so I thought... Then I started the Dash8 which was a lot slower in handling but still felt nimble compared to the heavies - or even the Beechjet sometimes.The other night I flew the racing challenge for the first time in a few weeks - in the GeeBee. Oh my! I barely made it off the ground after careening across the runway during takeoff. After that it seemed like my yoke had developed a huge dead spot - I couldn't hold her level for quids. After a few laps though and was starting to get used to it - until landing... Sheeeeesh :-lolThe one aircraft I never had to really 'learn' was the Archer - my fave for slow cruising and low-altitude flying. It just works so easily. Great for taxiway takeoffs (you know what I mean, Rob?) :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

Taxiway takeoffs? I haven't a clue what you're talking about. As a conscientious pilot who always follows flight regs precisely, it has never occurred to me that one would take off anywhere except the exact centre of the runway, after filing a flight plan, contacting met and discussing the weather conditions en route, getting clearance, radio approval, checking fuel, tyres, engine performance, maintenance clearance, local flight rules and conditions, correct movement of control surfaces, etc.So all this talk about taxiway takeoffs Jon, no ... sorry, I can't imagine what you could be talking about.(what's the smiley for tongue-in-cheek?)RobD.

Robert,Tell that to the Chinese pilot who took off from an Alaskan airport taxiway in a Boeing 747 last year :-eek Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Jon,I'm looking forward to testing your Dash 8. Just make sure to provide me with a British Airways Union Flag colour scheme before I do :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,At the moment the BA livery is the newer one. Reason? I don't have a photo of a Dash8 in the UJ scheme. In fact, my only UJ photo is a 747! This one's got the 'wavy line' on the tail. Actually, it's unfinished - why don't I send it all to you to finish? It'd be great having a 'real' Pom do a 'real' Pommy livery ;) ;) ;)Re: Taxiway takeoffs/landingsA 747? Wow, he must have been popular! I assume ATC turn on their own 'frequent_pilot_slams' for situations like that. I'd love to hear a transcript of the ATC chatter :-lolSo, there you go, Rob! No need to feel shame any more - REAL pilots do it too ;) Actually, speaking of guilty parties - I did a humdinger last night. Approach CVA on final and I hear this 'trainer' calling on final - but I was. Couldn't see him though so I thought it was just an ATC mal. Almost over the fence and there he is, right in front of me :eek I turn right for a taxiway landing but there's a motorglider there... So, I jab it to the left, cut the power and put her down on the grass beside the strip, overtaking the trainer in the process. Boy! Would he have needed new undies :-lolJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

I can come clean? Wheeeewwwww. OK then, yes, I have "on occasions" used taxiways for takeoffs.In fact I used to tell the airport controllers in FU3 that I shouldn't have to pay takeoff/landing fees since I was not contributing in any way to wear and tear on the runways.Ahh, confession - that feels better.

Jon,Is that an AI motorglider that you are talking about ? I have never been able to get those working in FU3.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,They work fine for me! Motorglider Hill (0jdp, near CVA) has one and CVA has 2! I just placed 'em and they worked. I DO use them in 'P' mode (constantly circling touch 'n' goes), I don't know if the other AI modes work as well - I assume so. Oh, and it's in OT. I'm sure I had one flying 'through' mountains at WAWC though - I'll check tonight ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,I'm going to experiment again with respect to the AI motorgliders. I will post a few screenshots if I am successful.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png