Sign in to follow this  

FU2 Lockup problems

I have tried to run FU2 on on my newer Athlon XP1600 machine (256 Mb RAM & Sparkle GeForce2 Titanium video card) and I get a lockup when it is on the "population San Francisco Airspace" screen. All was ok on my old P2 machine. Anyone have any clues on what is causing it or whether there is a fix ?

Guest Ansgar

Hello and a nice "welcome in our FU3 community" Marty,I assume you know my detailed description of how to install FU2 under Windows NT/2000/XP here in the forum (some weeks ago)?Actually you didn

Thanks for the replyI am using Windows ME on this machine so I wouldn't expect any problems due to NT/2000/XP. I installed it with the standard installer. It has installed ok and I can browse to Credits Airports Quick Flight etc but the problems start when I hit the Fly button !!. I have installed the 1.04 patch and this made a slight difference to the symptoms. Now it sometimes get to about 99% of populating the airspace but hangs at this point (before it got to between 40 & 80%). Hitting enter now drops it back to the desktop without any error messages (prior to the patch it just locked the computer to the point of having to hit the reset button)Personally I think it is a video card / driver problem (card is a Leadtek GeForce2 Ti)

Hello.Yes, I also had the same problems with FU2 whan I was using my oldNvidia graphic card.The simm freezed during loading, or just after take off.I had to find an older driver for the videocard.I think you have to try some different drivers and see if the sim willaccept it.Lars Peter. :)

Guest Ansgar

Hi Marty,OK now we came nearer the problem. I agree to Lars that it seems to be the video driver or card.There may be a chance that you can use the software renderer here. Since I never build models for FU2 you should have no problems with "look through effects", and the performance is with your MBO also high enough.So simply switch in the graphics options to software rendering and try it again. The only negative part is then, that the optical quality isn

Guest jonpoint

Marty,I assume you tried hitting or + at this point? If that fixes it, you have a rogue package or airport :-(Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

>I have tried to run FU2 on on my newer Athlon XP1600 machine>(256 Mb RAM & Sparkle GeForce2 Titanium video card) and I get>a lockup when it is on the "population San Francisco Airspace">screen. All was ok on my old P2 machine. >>Anyone have any clues on what is causing it or whether there>is a fix ?Marty,I have exactly the same problem... All was ok with my TNT2 card then problem began with my GeforceIImx... At this day I don't found any solve...P3/800, 128, Geforce, SB live, Windows 98SE, DirectX 8.1Regards.Richard

Ansgar,Yes, I agree with your suggestion regarding the software rendering engine. When I installed FU2 to help me with last year's PC Pilot article, I noticed that the simulator would freeze occasionally (although this was from within the game itself, as opposed to the AI startup screen). I suspected that it had something to do with the 3D graphics card (this was a 32Mb GeForce 2 GTS at the time), so I tried running in software mode. That solved the problem, although the graphics didn't look as nice :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

For what it's worth, I have run FU2 on the same PC with first a TNT card, then a GeForce 2MX and now (with a new MB + uP) a GeForce 440MX. I no longer have it installed on that PC but I do still on this one (which runs the old TNT card) and it works OK but...I cannot use DX9 or it dies (during bootup - XP goes crazy reporting error messages about the TNT card having some problem) and I cannot seem to make sense of any later drivers. I use 30.82 with the TNT here and it's OK. None of the newer (40.xx) drivers seem stable - some things work, others don't :-grr Face it, TNT's are OLD - but still useful.You MAY find that if you install the driver that came with the TNT card, it will be OK. This occurred with my 440MX card - when it seemed a bit flaky after install (probably 'coz I don't run DX9), I ran 'Detonator Destroyer' to remove the latest drivers and put 30.82 back in - luvverly ;) Interstingly enough, when I bought the GE2 card it came with 30.30(!) drivers which, although they lack a few features, also seem very stable.As you are not running XP and DX9 I suggest trying older drivers first. BTW, my PC (at home): Athlon 1700+, 384MB, Win98SE, DX8.1, GE2MX100 (old)/GE4MX440 (new).:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************