Sign in to follow this  
NWATech

AMD Athlon Thoroughbred @ 2.7GHz!!!

Guest Max Cowgill

Gigabyte apparently has an Athlon Tbred 2200+ (1.8GHz) running at an insane 2.7GHz (not 2700+, actual 2.7GHz clockspeed)!!! http://thecoldshop.com/display.cfm?articleid=42&page=4 If people are actually able to o/c the Tbreds to 2.7GHz without some sort of exotic cooling setup, P4 will have a run for its money. Think I might have to start saving my pennies for a new CPU (and I thought my ~200MHz o/c of my AXP Palomino was good!). Max Cowgill

Bl**dy H*ll! :-eek

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest Max Cowgill

LOL, I was thinking something more along the lines of HOLY FLURKING SHNIT! Except not flurking shnit, if you catch my drift ;) BTW, I just did the calculation to convert 2.7GHz to AMD's Performance Rating and it comes out to right smack in the middle of a 3500+ and 3600+ rating. Hey P4, wanna play? ;)Max Cowgill

Hi Max, I have been following your posts and you seem to be quite the person for computer system performance. I have been reading different sites about all the hardware avaiable, and seems endless. I am going to build my first or purchase one built. My P3 800 is not really cutting it any more. I would like your feed back on a top performing piece of equipment. Thank for the help. :-)

http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cfa887750743b40.jpgJay....:-waveNWA Line Maintenance KDFW NW KLM WORLDWIDE RELIABILITY

Guest Max Cowgill

Jay, if you're looking for cheap performance, you may want to wait a little while until the Athlon XP Thoroughbreds come out (06/10/02). Also, if you want to roll the dice and try to o/c a P4 Northwood 1.6A or 1.8A, you may be able to get 2.4GHz or higher, but it's not a guarantee. Of course, if money is no object you could just go with a P4 2.53GHz w/the best RAM and cooling money can buy. 3GHz shouldn't be a problem given the right components. You could also do the same with a Thoroughbred setup, but we won't really know how well those o/c until they're released and have been run through the benchmarking mill by the major hardware sites. I plan to go the Tbred route if they prove to be good overclockers, otherwise I'll just stick with my AGOGA Palomino AXP (picking up some PC2700 DDR RAM, new HSF, new PSU, GF4 Ti 4400, and a couple case fans this wednesday!). If you give me an idea of how much money you're willing to spend, and exactly what level of performance you're looking for, I can give you a recommendation on which components to purchase.Max Cowgill

Hi Max,Check out this thread herehttp://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=29005I also agree that they mean 2600-2700+ witch is 2.2-2.3 GHz. This is great OC on air for 1.8 GHz processor.2.3 GHz TBred is going to be probably fast as 3GHz P4.They are going to be cheap and could be good system patch for everyone that is waiting for Hammer release.Petar

Hammer? New AMD?

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest Max Cowgill

>Hi Max, >>Check out this thread here >>http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=29005 >>I also agree that they mean 2600-2700+ witch is 2.2-2.3 GHz. >This is great OC on air for 1.8 GHz processor. >2.3 GHz TBred is going to be probably fast as 3GHz P4. >They are going to be cheap and could be good system patch >for everyone that is waiting for Hammer release. Interesting thread, but all I see there is speculation from people who have no more *actual* knowledge about Gigabyte's o/c than you or I. To quote "DuronDude" from that thread: "...2700 MHz would be 200 MHz (FSB) They wouldn't get that easy and its impossible on that particular board...". I highly disagree with that statement. How could he possibly know that a 200MHz FSB is impossible to achieve on the mobo Gigabyte used for their o/c? Nothing's impossible, especially given the fact that we don't even know HOW Gigabyte achieved their o/c. 200MHz FSB is possible even on current .18micron process Palominos using good RAM, great air cooling, and a lower clockspeed multiplier, so why would 200MHz FSB be impossible for a .13micron process Thoroughbred? Heck, one guy in that thread (TodB) is running an AXP on a 192MHz FSB (10x multiplier = 1920MHz) so why should another 8MHz FSB be impossible for a TBred? Another thing to take into consideration, Gigabyte didn't even mention clockspeed multiplier or FSB used, so the whole 200MHz FSB thing is speculation. For all we know they could be running a higher clockspeed multiplier on something less than 200MHz FSB. Oh well, sorry for the rant, guess we'll just have to wait until the Tbreds are released to know for sure. Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

>Hammer? New AMD? hehe, you're kidding, right? Or have you been hiding under a rock for the past several months? If you are indeed serious, I suggest you checkout anandtech.com, tomshardware.com, or even amd.com for info on Hammer (AMD's 8th-gen CPU due out late this year/early next).Max Cowgill

I agree, 200 FSB is achievable but TBreads are based on Palomino core, same as current AMD XP

Guest Max Cowgill

>I agree, 200 FSB is achievable but TBreads are based on >Palomino core, same as current AMD XP

Read about it a while back, forgot it's code name. (-: Shez

Shez Ansari

Oh yea $$$$$ is no problem, just waiting for the right one to come out. Is there a place that builds these or do I do it part by part? I want to get the most I can at the time with all the possibilities of future upgrades. I have checked the one I have now and no such luck. Is the AMD really better than Intel Pentium? I see quite a few people operate it with great success. Maybe some links for some info on all this.

http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cfa887750743b40.jpgJay....:-waveNWA Line Maintenance KDFW NW KLM WORLDWIDE RELIABILITY