Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Will the real Coupeville please stand up?

Yup, the Coupeville OLF is still operational. At least, it was yesterday. EA-6Bs from NAS Whidbey use it for simulated carrier landings. I always know when they're working as they come right over my house. What is known as Coupeville Air Park is a private grass strip just across the road and perpendicular to the runway at the NOLF on the west side. jb

Guest ChrisD

Chris Low.The satellite photo showing both airports are genuine, no faking.The peninsula are much too light I know, making the airstrip nearly invisible. That is why I 'enhanced' it to bring the strip into visible range. (Light Levels adjustment, to be precise.)The poor satellite picture may also be the reason LG missed it.I just tried flying from FU3's Port Angeles Airport.At first I notice we are way west of the High Res Scenery and the map revieled that Dungeness Peninsula is located several miles east of port Angeless.Seems we have missed something here. However Port Angeles Airport is misplaced in FU3.It took me more than 5 minutes cruising east at 80 kts before I actually reached the real location of Port Angeles and the peninsula, but this is not Dungeness. Sorry.I will be back when I have traced the real name of the peninsula located at Port Angeles.Chris

To be honest, I rather like the idea of an airstrip on the outer part of Dungeness peninsula, so I may just create one there (based on the Port Angeles CGS).Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest ChrisD

Local web-pages reviel that its real name is Dungeness Spit.There is actually a lighthouse at the outer end :)Even the trees are there, so the trees You planted there are correct as well..Chris

Chris,Yes, Dungeness Spit is the correct name for the Dungeness peninsula, but the peninsula with the CGS airstrip on it is called Ediz Hook.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Chris... both of you,"Try "Ediz Hook"."You try it... I have been there several times. I once had a job offer as lead applications programmer at the mill on the hook... before you get to the CG station. Too bad there weren't offering enough money to live on... I would love to live in Port Angeles... one of my favorite towns anywhere. Ediz is BTW pronounced as "Ed's".Got to say that you guys have me confused... it looks as if you are talking about two different strips of land... but I'm having trouble following the discussion.

Guest R_Driscoll

Happy to help with any modelling needed here of course. I would try to model things for the Fairchild airport and the Ed's Hook base.Unfortunately since the base is over water, I will have to charge double for danger duty.Will I proceed? What do you want modelled?I've downloaded your pics - if you have higher res originals could you send them to me?(PS - I will be away for 3-4 days).RobD.

Guest ChrisD

Hans Petter.Disregard my 'last transmission'. It is all wrong. However 'Editing period has expired' less than an hour after writing it?!?TOM Wunder, please correct..Dungeness Peninsula is located far east of Port Angeles.This may be the cause of our confusion :)The FU3 map does not alow me to read the name of the peninsula at Port Angeles. However Your Naval Station is correct. It really is there just outside Port Angles City.I will try and get hold of some more materiel..Chris

Guest jonpoint

Folks,I was just looking into (re)doing my fave northern strip (NRA) and, with all this talk of reality (and, by coincidence the posting of the Half-Moon Bay photo), I thought that I might as well do it right!So, I searched the net. Good ol' Whidbey Island huh? 3 airports and NRA isn't one of them. That's right - NRA is a fictional strip after all. According to all the maps I could find, it's a naval reserve!See attached a small map, courtesy of Mapquest.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/7761.jpgThe 'real' Coupville airport (Oak Harbour) is not even in the high-res area. So 'Sandra's Cove' (Greenbank Heights) is the only real, Whidbey Island airport that we could create, and it certainly doesn't have the size or easy approaches that NRA offers. And, do you think I can find anything about it? The Navy doesn't give away much :-(Gee, I wish we could get some terrain textures for the area just north (or south, for that matter) of the current Seattle area. Wasn't someone trying to do it?:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************