Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Grass strips

Well, it seems that my recent return to the small airfields in FU3 has kick started my desire to upgrade everything. In short, I think that it's about time that all of those grass strips in the Seattle and SanFran regions that are currently marked with dotted lines need to be improved. What I would like to do is place cut logs along the length of each strip (and any small taxiway sections), so that it is much easier for bush pilots to actually SEE the runway ! We all know how notorious those dotted lines are for not appearing until after touchdown, so I have decided to do something about it.I may also use some of the fence models that are available (probably to surround parking areas), and maybe one or two other models like hangars. Can anyone provide me with screenshots of some log/fence/hangar models that are currently available ? If the logs are not available, would it be too much to ask for one of you expert modellers to create one ? I am probably looking for a model about 20 feet long.I am hoping that this little project will help to make the airfields in my Seattle 2003 and SanFran 2003 packs more interesting places to visit, rather than the somewhat lifeless places that they have been for the past year :-)Let me know what you think.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

There is enough number of hangars made by modellers, I think. I have one that is lighted by night. I've got it from Robert. There is 'a thing' - I don't remember the name, that can be set instead of the lines, but it's not seen from bigger distance. But models are set around airports/airfields mainly, so it's not difficault to find them. I agree, that the runway is sometimes 'invisible', so I was flying over the grass strips looking for the runway. You may set the model of 'wind direction/strength indicator' - (I forgot the name) at the ends of the runway(s). B.Adamski

Guest R_Driscoll

Chris, I did make a model of a log. It may be too small for your application - you said 20 m, and I don't remember the length of my "log" but it was less than that. I'll try and throw one together for you. Both Jon and I have made many fences now - check the uploaded models. Jon recently made some nice stone fences (I think for Clare Valley?), and some neat wire-braced fencing.It was fences that got this whole new model phase started - a request from JimmiG for a fence! I'm not sure he realised what he had started.RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Folks,There was a grass strip marker uploaded in my last model set (called mark10.bin I think). It is a white, rectangualr pyramid shape, as used to temporarily (or semi-permanently) mark grass strips. Our local strip (Scone) used them and they were also used to mark out temporary strips for cropduster operations. Originally made from plywood, by the early 70's they were made from fiberglass. They were very common on farms as I remember ("coooool, you've got an airstrip too!").Besides, they look better than tyres and don't use as many polygons (yes, I tried...)BTW, I wouldn't recommend the stone fences for strips, wire fences are more appropriate (although, as Rob found out, my wire fences stop 747s...):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest juvat2

Chris,Jon Point made some nice logs, fences, airports etc, and has posted his models here at the library. Here are a couple of shots of his wonderful Renegrade Creek. You'll see his fence, logs and trees in it. You could screen shot this package all day and never capture just how nice it truely is. The name of his file is clareval1.zip. You'd also need to download his models.Simply marvelous what he and Robert D have done with model creation and placement. Livens Flight Unlimited even more.Jim B.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8435.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8437.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8440.jpg

Robert,Actually, I said 20 feet (which is around 6 metres).Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Robert,Would these logs be easy to see on final approach to grass strips ? This is the most important part of the project, even though adding fences and other objects will be enjoyable. I realise that only having dotted lines makes accurate landings rather difficult, and I'm sure that plenty of FU3 users have been frustrated by this in the past.It will certainly provide me with plenty of work to do :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest ChrisD

Sorry, but a filesearch for clareval1.zip produces nothing.Could You provide a little more info please? :)Chris

Guest R_Driscoll

The existing log is 5 m. I've used the log quite a bit myself for decorating sceneries, eg Sky Harbour, even at Seattle. It looks like a log. That's all you can say for it. But its one of the early models, and I built it in inches! Nowadays I use meter most of the time, and just occasionally use "pixel" - i.e. get sizes off the source photo in pixel, then use BSP to rescale to fit the required space - it can be more accurate given that the dimensions in FU3 do not appear to be exactly meter - important for buildings. Of course you're welcome to use that and any other scenery objects you like. And if you want more/different logs, or other objects at all, just let me know.As to visibility - a 5m log is a tiny object - you would have to test but I doubt they would be clearly visible unless you were close to the ground. Trees and a different hue for the landing field are I think the best rough indicators to ladning field position/orientation, and then markers (logs, etc) close to ground). RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

I know Jon won't mind so here's the link:http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=21240I won't embarass him by telling you that he named it after his daughter.JOn has recently re-released all of those models for UK-South.The log can be downloaded as part of a collection from:http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=18367(original release - also released in several packages since then).And Jim, thanks for the vote of confidence! The reward for me is being part of this community - the interaction and challenge of breaking limits. RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Folks,The MARKER... the marker? What about the marker?The reason I ask is that I have a bigger one... ;)...marker, that is - if you want it! :-lolPS Thanx for the kind words on the models :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Robert,Maybe we do need a new log. How visible do you think a 20 metre log would look when on final approach ? Approximate alignment with the grass runway isn't too much of a problem, but it's the final part of the approach where log visibility is important ! What do you think ?Remember, the quality of your response could be sufficient for you to be awarded the contract :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png