Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Repainter's tip

Some of you may be getting tired of my Big Red posts by now since I've been working on this project for years now :-) However, with Ansgar's new Baron model I had to give it another go. The latest texture map enables me to paint every part of the aircraft with no compromises. However, I'm not saying it's easy. My livery gets complicated since several curves and transitions involve different parts of the texture map. To sort things out I elected to color code various segments. This enables me to spot exactly which part of the texture is responsible, as well as exactly where the transitions occur. Wherever a "top texture" runs into a "side texture", back texture" or front texture" it's paramount to get a seamless transition. If you color everything the way it's supposed to be there's no way to know what to modify when it doesn't quite fit. But then, by using bright contrasting colors you'll be able to pinpoint exactly which texture is responsible for each part and correct it accordingly. Then, when everything looks fine you can just replace the odd colors and make it all blend nicely. I'm working on the engine shroud /nacelle and it draws textures from numerous different locations. Even the lines showing where metal plates join (rivets) run from top textures to side textures and they have to be matched to form continuous lines.The first image is a picture of a segment of the real aircraft.The next one is a collage of images showing my test texture map.The last one is my test texture map as it stands now.Hans Petterthe real thing:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8309.jpgmy FU3 test textures applied:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8310.jpgthe test texture:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8311.jpg

Guest jonpoint

My sympathies, Hans-Petter!I had to do the same thing with the GeeBee. Unfortunately, it was soooo bad that I had to retexture the whole thing :-( Now that I am more familiar with 3D programs its OK but I wouldn't recommend it first time! That said, the Baron resfile can have up to 18 fully-mapped textures. With a few reserved for the cockpit/people, there should be enough left to get everything right!On top of that, anything that only needs colour can have it's own RGB texture too so for example, tyres, beacons, glass, aerials, gear legs don't have to use bitmaps. The Dash-8 is based on the Baron resfile and doesn't even use all 18! It would be good to use 3 or 4 just for the fuse to get all those cute details like handles and window surrounds really good. I suppose now you can see why I bothered to completely retexture the GeeBee - the original 8 textures(!) did no justice to the real aircraft. If you compare the beta with the full versions you'll see what I mean ;)In any case, I'm glad that you are sharing your experiences with us. Thankyou :-)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Ansgar

Hello Hans,a very good tip and description for detailed texturing of really complex textured parts. I used the same procedure since/after learning complex painting at texture details of my B747-400.Nevertheless it

Hello Hans.I also wish you to continue with the repaint of this aircraft.You did a very solid work with the first realease.It would be a very nice addon to the fleet, and I hope this also would include the panel made by Tom/Eric.Best wishes.Lars Peter.:)

Guest cornclose

Hans Petter,Where can I download the latest and greatest "Big Red" please ?Chris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Chris E, I'm still working on the latest version. If you have a broadband connection I might "zap" you the file I'm working on. Otherwise you may download the first version from the library. It's based on the stock Windhawk but the interior views are the same as those I'm going to upload with the next version. I may improve these a bit too but you'll get the idea :-) (Actually, I have done some minor changes to the night lighting of the front right quarter view).Lars Peter, unless Steve finishes the new Baron panel (in time) I'll upload the Ansgar version of Big Red with the same panel as I used for the previous version.Hans Petter