Sign in to follow this  
Hans_Petter

Prop Editor

I've been searching for the PropEditor. I checked out Gideon's tools and the Avsim library to no avail. I'm quite sure it's a small program so maybe somebody could send me a copy or upload it to the Avsim library?Hans Petterhproveru@broadpark.no

Guest Ansgar

Geeeeez Hans, why you didn

Thanks! However, we're not done yet :-)When I open the propeller file in PropEditor I get a window with RGB O, 1 and 2, number of blades and length. The two latter are self-explanatory. What I want to change is the color of the blades (from white to gray) and the color of the bands (from maroon to gray). Thus, I'll need to change the RGB color codes. As far as I know RGB is the initals of red, green and blue and each color needs a number to define its intensity.For instance, pure white is 255,255,255 and 64,255,255 is a light blue.I might want 112,116,115 for the blades and 215,215,217 for the bands.Ansgar's Baron comes up withRBG0 64,0,0 (OK, that's a dark red--255,0,0 is pure bright red)RBG1 255,255,255 (OK, that's pure white)RBG2 0,0,0 (That's absolute black)Thinking as I type, I'll try:RBG0 215,215,217RBG1 112,116,115RBG2 0,0,0 Then it uses color index 1 and zero. All right, no color index 2 being used, which would produce black. Then there's coverage 0.8, 0,87, 0,92, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0. Do these numbers define the bands? I may have answered my own questions here but I'll post this anyway :-)Hans PetterAdded: And then I tried it out and got:http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=vie...nt&file_id=8559Eureka! Only one thing, why doesn't the image show when I type the direct link into the text? In the old days any uploaded image would show directly and I thought the link would make it show anyway.

Guest juvat2

Hi Hans,To see your uploaded pic in your preview prior to post, the line should've have looked like this:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8559.jpgOops, well, that re-displays your screen shot when I type the line exactly as it should be.Now, right click the picture and select properties. See the new long string which ends with /8559.jpg?The quick way is when the upload is finished, the file upload screen will have the http://forums.avsim.com/user_files followed by your pic #.jpg or gif, whichever you selected as the uploaded file extension. Just left-click-drag over that line to highlight it, right-click-copy. Then paste it where ever you like in the body of your message. Just remember we still need to delete the reference to the image in the slim "attachment" window that is below the message body window.Take care Hans,Jim B.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Hans, I saw you managed it.... ;-)And you

Guest jonpoint

Folks,The reason that RGB colours don't always (at all?) appear correct is.... the palette! 'What palette?' you ask. The Seattle/Sanfran one! Yes folks, that's correct (or it seems to be following my investigations) - all RGB colours appearing in the sim come from the 'local' palette. This is why Capt. Bazza's planes look great in Sanfran/UK but all washed-out and dull in Seattle.Here's the bad part. Seattle only has TWO red colours! That's OK, Sanfran has no dark green either but...This makes it hard for modellers to produce colours that are acceptable to both palettes. For example, my trees required recolouring before conversion to the Sanfran palette because the Sanfran palette had problems with the darker greens. Rob's Fixmip helps here by pushing the colour mix a bit each way but there are limitations - and nobody wants red trees in Winter :-lolOh yeah! The two Seattle reds are nowhere near the Sanfran ones :-grrFor this reason, the only RGBs I use now are grey, white or black (OK, I do use some others - there are some blues which work well with both palettes and same for yellows) - just try to avoid greens (BAD in Sanfran) or reds (bad in Seattle) and you're OK. Interestingly enough, the greyscale parts of the palettes always line-up pretty good (and the eye has trouble with shades of grey anyway).Aw, crap! There I am, talking at length to myself again... I hope this info is useful for you all - it took me about a year to figure it out :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Ansgar

Hello Jon,if I understand you correct you will tell us that THEY (LG) used the region-palette (Seattle/SanFran) for the colors of the prop

Guest jonpoint

Yes, Ansgar... totally bizarre :-hmmmI found this by mistake when doing the GeeBee. I took a test flight in Sanfran for a change and the prop (which was a blue-grey at this stage) suddenly looked purple :-eekI decided on a simple grey after that :-lolI've actually been playing with some gliders using rgb textures and I have one that's red(ish) in Sanfran and blue in Seattle - sheeeesh.:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Oh! One more thing (got carried away with that 'post' button again)...In Prop Editor, the numbers relating to the bands (0.7 0.8 etc) are not in metres but in decimal fractions of 1. For example, 0.7 is 70% of the prop (starting from the center), 0.88 is 88% etc.Sorry, THAT also took me some time to figure out!And, you can set the colour of the rear of the blades but you cannot put stripes on the back. I've noticed some FU3 original aircraft have black blades when viewed from the rear :-( Tch, tch, tch such shoddy workmanship ;) Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon wrote: I've noticed some FU3 original aircraft have black blades when viewed from the rear. Tch, tch, tch such shoddy workmanship :-)Hey, the Big Red has black blades when viewed from the rear--how do I "un-shoddy" this piece of work? May I guess at making the third RGB line gray or would I want to edit some of the prop sections?Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

I think the FU3 developers were brilliant. But maybe a bit rushed ...But its not just the props that change colour. I am fascinated by the way RGB models (not my ones! I always texture with TMAP - I'm a good boy) change colours in different packages! When I was making Gatwick, the fireengine had several different colours at different stages of development - blue, purple, orange. Eventually I worked out the trick. If I hold my jaw at 45 deg and blink the left eye twice, the colour will change ...RobD.