Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChrisD

Dungeness Mystery..

Guest ChrisD

I have done a little searching.Here is my results.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8871.jpgAs can be clearly seen, Dungeness is located East of port Angeles, and has nothing to do with the Naval Airstrip outside Port Angeles.Next Map is a clean shot of Port Angeleshttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8872.jpgHere is the same as an Arial Photo:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8873.jpgIt is just possible to make out some buildings on the peninsula.Regrettably when choosing greater magnification we are back to the same B/W satellite photos I posted Earlier. Just look here:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8874.jpgThe Naval airstrip is visible.Next I will go and investigate the real Dungeness Peninsula.. :)Hope this solves the mystery.Chris

Guest ChrisD

I have now tracked down the real Dungeness Peninsula.Sorry, but no sign of any airport here...Chris

Ok, here's the deal,The Port Angeles Coast Guard airport is on a peninsula right next to Port Angeles. It's just outside our hi-res area. Port Angeles has another civilian airport and that's the one we've got. In order to get the other one we'd have to add a peninsula to the outer terrain. For those of using the OT, would it be possible to edit the coastline and get that peninsula? Another thing -- Port Angeles is a fairly substantial city. We might add some buildings in this area.The Dungeness has no airports. I flew over it several times in FS2002 and checked. It might have had one in the past.So, both of the pictures being posted, by ChrisE and me, are the Port Angeles naval base and have nothing to do with the Dungeness.The only ting I'd suggest for the Dungeness might be a fictional grass strip. But then, it's totally "landable" as it is.Hans Petter

Guest ChrisD

Ediz Hook is already in the OT.It is located 5 mins flight east of the FU3 Port Angeles Airport.What is needed is to move the city texture of Port Angeles to the correct location and move tha Airport as well.Then of course we need to put a new Airstrip on Ediz Hook.I even found a picture of the buildings:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/8917.jpgMaybe something for the Driscoll Factory? ;)Chris

Guest twsimfan

Chris,If it would help I could try to talk my wife into making a side trip to Port Angeles in August while we are visiting in Tacoma. Port Angeles is one of my favorite places anyway. I could take some pictures of the town, the hook, the mill, and the Coast Guard station... from a distance... don't think they would let me go on the station and take pictures. :)Just remember that when you have been driving on the hook to make use of the free manual car wash provided before leaving... the smoke from the mill is hard on paint jobs. :-eekPort Angeles is a very pretty town. It is squeezed between the straits on the North & Hurricane Ridge on the South. The weather pattern is different from that common in Western Washington... much less rain... far more sunny days. On a clear night you can look across the strait and see the lights of Victoria, BC... great sight. Hurricane Ridge National Park starts just at the South end of town. One of the prettiest lakes I've ever seen is just a few miles West of town. Great place. If I ever win the lottery I'll move there in a heartbeat.

I've been searching for Ediz Hook but I haven't found it. First I took off from the FU3 Port Angeles and cruised up and down along the coast.Then I checked the coordinates 48.14 N, 123.41 W in FLED and ended up west of Port Angeles, out in the ocean. It would seem that Port Angeles is supposed to be further west, some hundred yards out of the outer terrain coastline. Have you really spotted the Ediz Hook in FU3? All that I see is a generic OT coastline, definitely no "hook" and definitely not where the coordinates say that it should be located.Hans Petter

Guest Allan_D

Hi Gang,I took a wide map shot of this shore line for you guys from my map book, You can see there are two totally different area's, If you fly east from the Fairchild Intl. Airport for five minutes you should be seeing the Dungess Spit, not the Ediz hook, You can just see the Airport on the far left, and Dungess Spit on the far right. http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/9231.jpgI sized the left side of that a bit smaller so you's can see the Coast guard base, marked on maphttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/9232.jpgThen took a FU3 flight and a shot looking East from Dungeness Spit,FU3 has that area modelled better then FS, But as you,s can see there is no Ediz hook, It should be by the grey area of the Airporthttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/9234.jpgIt is modeled in FS and there's a Ashpalt strip and a fueling area there, in the correct spot, They don't have as nice of model of the Dungeness Spit though. FU3 is same as the map book in the hi res area,s. Have Fun :-newburnAllan and Puppyhttp://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

Which brings us back to my previous question, is it possible to edit Ediz Hook into the outer terrain coastline? If so, I'd like to "clean up and focus" the entire city of Port Angeles. The city is supposed to be located between "our" Port Angeles airport and the coastline and it would make sense to add some city buildings in this area. The FU3 generic city texture block runs too far south of the airport.Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

As I said I'm happy to help. I can build the hook based on the photos, but since there's no existing terrain there it will take me awhile. But it can be done. I think agtim could do the basic terrain better than me since he can work with the actual elevation - I can't since I haven't bothered to learn despite his excellent tutorials on how to! - and his spectacular results around IOW.I'm away for a few days but when I go back if there's no serious objections I will start. Any pics of Pt Angeles will be grist for the mill (to keep the car-washing story going). I would enjoy doing this since Pt Angeles was one of the earliest sim airports (was it in FS4?) that I flew out of - it had ... a flying balloon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and at the time, this was incredible scenery development! But if I model the wharf from that terrible photo, don't blame me if the graphics make you cross-eyed! (well its a start). I will try to find some more pics too.RobD.

Guest ChrisD

You are quite right Hans Petter.I have been flying again today and You are right, there is no Ediz Hook on the Scenery. I didn't look closely enough. As many before me I mistook Dungeness Spit for the Ediz Hook.I have spent a few hours trying to Seek out photos of Port Angeles.The photo of the Pilot's House is the only one found so far depicting the actual Ediz Hook. I haven't given up Yet, though.I don't know if it is at all possible to add another MegaTile west of Sequim. Seems this would include Port Angeles.Arials in 4m/pixel resolution is available, but in B/W only.Must have been the same pics used by LG, a huge task 'colorizing' these things. I was even thinking of trying to overlay the sharp B/W picture with the colour picture of lesser resolution, just like in TV, but there are too many clouds present in the color arial to make any use of it.At least the b/w arials could be used to put the coastline right.Chris

Chris,Now that is something that I would like to see. Extending the Seattle high resolution terrain to the west has my vote. To be honest, I would rather see this developed than UK-South.....but that is only my opinion :-) Of course, I wouldn't want to stop at Port Angeles. I would like to see the Seattle scenery with a Pacific coastline, and the entire Olympic mountain range.Over to the experts. Would this be possible if the data was available, or is there a limit to the size of individual high resolution scenery areas ?Come back bluejay..........Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest twsimfan

Rob,The hook like the spit are landfill and are flat... a few feet above sealevel at high tide. Both are man made features to create a harbor.

Guest ChrisD

Chris Low.I am afraid this is going to be more complicated than I would like to think about.There is no space left.:(We can extend to the east and north, but not to the south and west.The Megatile in the lower left corner is named l0aaaa. Had they started with say l0acac we would have 2 tiles to go to the west and south.Here we would have to move the whole region, and I cannot help here.It can be done of course, but I do not know what havoc this will create in the generation of the OT.Sorry Chris, I do not know enough about editing the OT (have never used FLED), so I even don't know if the OT can be textured.If this is possible we could make a local extension to Port Angeles, but all we have is B/W arials. They are available in 4m resolution, but just colorizing one single megatile will require a great effort and much patience. We miss Karen from LG.. Wonder where she went?Sorry for the bad news..ChrisD

Chris,Don't worry, it wasn't an entirely serious suggestion. Anyway, what has the OT got to do with it ? I just wanted a bigger high resolution area. I'm not interested in the OT !!!!Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Hi Fellas,Outter Terrain re-texturing can be done by following the instructions in the, "Editing Flight Unlimited 3