Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Windows XP and FU3

Well, my first attempt to install FU3 resulted in a total failure. The install process reached somewhere between 15 and 30 per cent, and then the PC just shut down.....instantly. When I re-booted, the install program assumed that FU3 had been completely installed (which was obviously not the case). I am not a happy bunny :-)I decided to format the hard disk and re-install everything, although I realise now that I could have booted up from a system restore point ! Would this work ?Anyway, I would also like some advice on another point. Every time that I insert a zip disk, XP activates this stupid AUTOPLAY feature. It scans everything on the zip disk, and then activates a window asking how I would like certain applications to be opened (music files, pictures.....blah blah blah). HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS ? It is irritating me to the point of detonation :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Rich Wren

Hi Chris,Can't help on the FU3 install, It went in perfectly on my laptop without a problem. I can tell you how to hobble the autoplay "feature" though:Double-click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop.Right-click on the CD-ROM device under "Devices with Removable Storage", select "Properties".Select the "AutoPlay" tab then for each content type in the drop-down menu check the "Select an action to perform" radio button and "Take no action".Provided XP sees fit to remember your selections you should never be bothered by this again. I seem to remember it was a lot easier to do this under Win95/98 but that's progress for you.http://www.wheresthefish.co.uk/fu3/propertiesbox.jpgCheers,Rich.

OK Rich, I'll try that and see if it works.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have discovered something else about my Windows XP installation. It seems that installing my old SoundBlaster Live drivers wasn't such a good idea. Whenever I attempt to shut down, Windows tries to end a program called DEVLDR. It fails EVERY time, and this results in my not being able to shut down AT ALL :-eek I searched for anything to do with DEVLDR, and it seems to be a part of the Creative SoundBlaster Live driver set.....leading to my assumption regarding incompatibility.Anyway, I have found updated XP drivers for this soundcard, so I hope to be able to solve the problem tonight. The driver pack is 23.3Mb, which will take nearly an hour to download using my ISDN connection. Hopefully, XP will allow me to FULLY uninstall the old drivers, otherwise it could be System Restore/Reformat/Reinstall time :-)After this has been resolved, another attempt at installing FU3 will commence. Fingers crossed !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Rich,After messing around with the AUTOPLAY "feature" of the zip drive, it appears that I may have solved that little problem. I cannot say for sure though, since my previously saved preferences for this didn't "save" completely to my satisfaction ! The last time that I inserted a zip disk, I was just presented with the contents window (which is exactly what I want it to do), so hopefully everything has finally "clicked".With respect to FU3, I have managed to install this and the San Francisco scenery without incident, together with the patch. However, I still cannot run the software, since it seems that I now need a suitable version of the Intel Indeo video codec :-eek (I assume that "suitable" refers to a version that Windows XP can do business with :-)).Isn't modern technology wonderful !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris.I have also like you,-ahem.. upgraded to win.XP. The IBM folks at my work gave an offer I could not refuse. Me too got the message "Indeo video blabla".The install finished without trouble, and I was able to run it even without the patch.After this patch installed to upgrade fled etc. the sim was running well,and this "Indeo" message seemed to make no trouble.The current IBM.videocard was no good for this sim, so after a ten min. flight I was almost sea sick.So far my experience with FU3 and XP.Lars Peter.

Lars,I have already installed the patch, and FU3 will not run at the moment. I just get dumped straight back gto the desktop. Now I know how some of you feel after installing my packages :-lolI will have a poke around the net for some suitable Indeo code, and then try again.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It seems that Indeo XP costs $14.95 to download and install :-fumeHow did other Windows XP users get FU3 working without this ? Do I actually need the above software, or is there another method of getting FU3 to run ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've been using Win 2000 for some time and it's similar to XP as drivers are concerned. I fail to see what Indeo drivers have to do with FU3 specifically -- maybe the issue is that your video card needs an XP driver to run in proper 3D mode? Can you run other 3D games? If you have fairly recent hardware there ought to be Win2000/XP drivers on the installation disk. Since I have the old Voodoo 5 5500 video card I might have been in trouble but I found a working "geek" driver for Win2000/XP. Hans Petter

Hans,It doesn't even get as far as the title screen ! In fact, this is probably where the Indeo codec is required, but I'm not sure if I actually have this at all. Having thought about this, I am aware that my copy of Links LS 2000 includes a version of Intel Indeo, so that might be a possibility. I have also considered disabling the opening titles. Can this be done by modifying the flt3.cfg file ? This might then bypass the requirement for Indeo.What do you think ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest ChrisD

Sorry for interfering.I am running FU3 on XP Pro without a hitch.I can even put on 4 times AA without crashing FU3. Sure my framerate sux then :) I use a GForce 3 TI 500 video card. I have never seen any Indeo message. When does this pop up?ChrisD

Chris,It appears when I double click on the Flight Unlimited III desktop icon.It is very possible that you already have a version of Intel Indeo on your PC without realising it. Can you search for this, and tell me the results ? It may be that an earlier version of Indeo would be sufficient, but I am not exactly enthusiastic about installing old drivers where Windows XP is concerned. I had enough trouble with my old SoundBlaster Live and BT Speedway ISDN drivers......Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

NOTAM:I will be using 4x FSAA and 8x anisotropic filtering with FU3. Anything less is unacceptable.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I checked my PC and found the Intel Indeo codec 4.4 (729 kb)in C:WINNTsystem32 and I just sent it to you. Codecs would tend to come with Windows Media Player or QuickTime. If this doesn't work you may try and search for Media Player updates that include the codec. I misunderstood and thought that we were talking of a driver issue -- now it seems that you miss the codec for playing the opening screen video. Actually you might even try to run that troublesome video in Media Player while you're connected to the internet. Then it will search for a codec, download and install it.Hans Petter

Guest Rich Wren

Hi Chris,To disable the opening movie just add a line to your flt3.cfg saying "nomovie" (without quotes).Hope this helps.Rich.