Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Soarin' in Sanfran...

Guest jonpoint

Hmmm... Looks like a new glider club in Sanfran (I suspect they're connected with the ubiquitous GliderNut School but their aircraft are unmarked).Their aircraft aren't all new but they offer a good selection... http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/9316.jpgThey even let me take one for a spin ;)http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/9317.jpgI'd forgotten how nice this is!http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/9318.jpgA sign of things to come maybe? :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest glidernut

Im Gobsmaked, dumfounded, speechles.Could, what, how if when ermmm is! ???I meen when if is it if posibl can or will ermm ???Will ever:-jumpy :-ukliam :-jumpy :-ukliam :-jumpy :-ukliam :-jumpy :-ukliam :-jumpy Mom, wheres my hart atak pils? :-ukliam :-jumpy

Guest jonpoint

:-lolJohn,Check your email inbox ;)Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,Is that a flyable Motorglider next to the FBO, or an AI version ? I still cannot get the latter to work in my version of FU3......well, not when I was using Windows ME anyway.Maybe Windows XP will like gliders better ? I'll let you know.....when I get FU3 working :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,No, it was a flyable plane (I wanted to get as many gliders in the shot as I could!). I checked again BTW and I have an AI (FLED) Motorglider running at Bergseth Field so it's not just OT that works!BTW, I use Win98SE on my FU3 PC although this should make no difference. I use XP here at the office and I can definitely say I'm not impressed by it at all. It is no more stable than 98SE IMO! The ONLY advantage it has (in common with older NTs) is that, when an app crashes, you can close it and keep using the PC (for something else). You cannot simply restart the failed app and will probably have to reboot when you ned to use it again. This is my experience from FU3 anyway. Every time it (or FLED) crashes, sure - you can go back to Solitare or writing that letter but FU3 will not restart properly - until you restart the PC :-( :-( :-(I can see a good market amongst gamers for 98SE over the next few years.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,FU3 seems to be working fine now. I just needed to add the command "nomovie" in my flt3.cfg file. This bypasses the requirement for the Intel Indeo codec.With respect to Windows XP itself, I really like it. Some people have suggested that it looks like "Windows for Teletubbies", but I really like the style. All of those bevelled buttons and rounded edges look great compared to the rather harsh look of previous versions. I have also noticed some speed improvements. When I changed regions in FU3 using Windows ME, the process took up to ten seconds. With Windows XP, this is instantaneous. In addition, my ISDN download speed using Windows ME was a steady and reliable 7K per second, but Windows XP has increased this to 7.42K per second (these are based on large downloads where the transfer rate evens out). Yes, I know that some of you have broadband, and that these rates look pathetic, but I'm not Einstein :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Motormouse

>Jon, In addition, my ISDN download speed>using Windows ME was a steady and reliable 7K per second, but>Windows XP has increased this to 7.42K per second (these are>based on large downloads where the transfer rate evens out).>Yes, I know that some of you have broadband, and that these>rates look pathetic, but I'm not Einstein :-)>>Chris Low,>ENGLAND.>Chris:You're lucky, we don't even get isdn lines locally, (Cardiff,UK)some of us are still stuck at 4.4k thanks to 'British Telecomm Plc'Jon: Is that a 'Blanik' I see there (would that be Gnoss glider club)? How'd you get the launch sorted?! Shame its AI only :-lol:-wavePete

Guest jonpoint

Pete,Yes, an L13 I believe. And Gnoss would be close ;) It's not AI, the models you see on the ground are FU3 ground models which will be available, along with a whole lot of glidery stuff very soon. It's a little 'bandwidth burner' I've been working on when the Dash8 drives me to tears! The Blanik is a fully-flying model based on a Stemme flight model but with no engine and other masses altered slightly. For launch I've been just using 'page-up' or rolling downhill but the famous Glidernut and I are nutting-out some issues and have three possibilities:1. Towline with a towplane (it works! But needs a lot of work yet)2. Rocket-assisted launch which is a bit rough on the plane but, it's an option!3. Winch launch which looks the most promising.Both towline and winch methods utilise retracting gear as their launch 'vehicle' but in different ways. When I have something working, you'll all see it!If you want a copy of the Blanik to play with, let me know ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Just adding to the off-topic bit--even though XP may not restart an application that has been hanging it still allows you to reboot the proper way. I don't have XP but I have Win 2000. They're both NT based and share most features. I got an English version of it really cheap since the Brit owning it wanted to upgrade. That's another aside, despite being Norwegian I don't want to install any "regionalized" OS. Most tweaks, ugrades, info etc assume the original US version and that's the only one I'll ever install. Local language version have all kinds of insidious renaming of crucial folders and just complicate things. These local language versions obfuscate paths by introducing system folders with different names, actually even renaming files and folders that the average user will never have to deal with. It should suffice to translate the texts but it seems that the translators always want to dig deeper into the OS.Back to to the main point--with Win2000/XP the entire OS won't freeze. This means no "hard" reboots and no blue Scandisk screen as you restart. You may think that this just saves us from a minor nuisance but it goes beyond this--a "hard" reboot may cause HD damage when the PC is being shut down without following the proper procedure. With an NT based OS I can always leave gracefully and re-enter in style :-)Hans Petter

Pete,That airfield is Parrett. In fact, it looks very much like my modified version. I'd know those trees anywhere :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

You are of course correct, Chris! Who else's version would I have?Not trying to give everything away (for a change) I thought I'd say 'close'. As in the same state :-lol I hadn't flown much in Sanfran for a while so I thought I'd go there for the shots. Parrett is in a nice location amongst some pretty scenery - especially with your additions ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************