Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aidi

Microsoft Petition Suggestion

Guest christian

Following up my earlier post to free up some frustration over the quality of the recent SDK's from Microsoft and their lack of other support, I decided that a petition signed by many users may 'rattle the chair' at Microsoft a bit and maybe can start some sort of dialog... (here's some hoping).Firstly, it would be good if someone from the avsim staff could comment if we can actually do such a petition here at avsim, or if there would be problems with it... (I haven't put the name avsim into the petition, but wouldn't have a problem with it).Secondly, even if you're not interested in scenery or aircraft design, but just want to fly, we designers still need your support! We are doing all the great scenery and aircraft you can enjoy and us designers getting frustrated with the level of Microsofts support means no good. And imagine if we can spend most of our time actually making new scenery / aircrafts, rather spending countless hours trying to figure out how this or that may work. So read on, your feedback is important!Here's my suggestion for a petition text, but comments are very welcome. Being German and having been living downunder for five years, there's also a not so insignificant cultural twist. The petition text should be suited to the US American culture, ie not German style 'rude' :-lol nor too 'weak' so it's just ignored. It would be good if Americans could comment on this issue."First, I'd like to compliment the Microsoft Flight Simulator team to continually produce programs that give me many countless hours of enjoyment. MS2K2 is certainly one of the best commercial flight simulators available, possibly the best one.However, I'm missing a certain level of support for MSFS. While I'm grateful that the FS team is putting the effort into developing SDKs for MSFS, so 3rd party developers can customise their 'experience', the level of support could be better. Firstly, although I understand that many resources go into the development of these SDKs, the level of the recently released SDKs (eg MakeMDL SDK, and MDL SDK) is not satisfactory in my opinion. Other game companies release much more information about how their games work on a low level. Some companies even supply highly sophisticated editors with their games and even support these tools. I would wish that Miscrosoft could put the same amount of resources into the development of such tools, and the same amount of effort into releasing 'low level' information (eg a complete set of mdl or bgl commands explained in a form that even not only highly experienced computer users can understand those). Furher, these tools and information should ship with MSFS and there should be ongoing support for these development helps.Secondly, I would wish there would be some level of support for the SDks / tools / low level info. The SDKs are now released as is, but sometimes raise more questions than they answer. Also, there are some 'standard' questions floating around that the FS team could probably ask fairly quickly (eg are effects visible from further than 5km and if so how is that done, or what is the compression used in the terrain mesh files). This could be either in a form that the FS team would answer occasional emails to the FS community (for example if the same questions gets asked over and over again, or if a peticilar question is quite interesting), or maybe in a form of a weekly / monthly released FAQ. Another alternative would be the occasional participation of FS staff in online forums / discussions. This should be handled in a way that Microsoft doesn't get flooded with emails / posts, but rather concentrate on emails where only the FS group would know the answer. I would predict that such an 'instrument' would not just be 'one way traffic', but rather an exciting exchange that even may spark interesting ideas for the FS group.Thirdly, I would wish that there would be more commitment in keeping MSFS up-to-date. I don't mean a more frequent release of MSFS, or the additions of fancy new things, but rather bug fixes and minor improvements. No software is perfect when released and the occasional patch keeps games exciting and new.I realise that this would mean spending more resources on support. While Microsoft hasn't the worst support amongst game companies, it doesn't exactly have the best either. Some companies spend significantly more time and people on the level of support outlined above. By signing this petition, I support the plea that Microsoft should increase the existing level of support and consider the points outlined above."Lots of signitures :)Cheers, Christian

Guest PaulL01

I would suggest that whether you agree completely or not with the petition doesn't matter, if folks want to see some really great add-ons then you should make it known by adding some support here. I understand and completely agree Christian, It would really end the discouragement as to the state of things as far as FS SDK and design and development of the last few years (as it has been a big turn off) If someone would give at least a little ear, Come ON MS!!! You certainly have my Sig.The talent is there, its just waiting for a little help from mother.:)Paul Leatzaw

Guest Aidi

This subject has been brought up so many times on the forums in the past. The forums are as you know a place to ask for help, make suggestions and voice your opinions (within reason)Due to the fact that these types of thread can often be the beginnig of heated words, I have locked it from further posts. People can read what has already been written and take on board your concerns.http://www.avsim.com/vfr_center/avsim_sig.jpg