Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Windows XP + FU3 + SoundBlaster Live

Does anyone here run FU3 on a Windows XP machine with a SoundBlaster Live card (particularly a Player 5.1 or Player 1024) ? I am starting to suspect that my sound card is the cause of my problems in Windows XP, and I would like to know which driver set you are using. I have experienced unexpected system shutdowns during FOUR of the FIVE installations of FU3 that I have attempted, and it may be significant that these have occurred when a sound file is being played (you know, those snippets of ATC instructions that are played during the install). Since the sound card is presumably being used at these times, it is possible that this is the cause of the problem.Unfortunately, installation of the (supposedly) XP compatible driver set on the Creative website (LiveDrvUniPack.exe) results in NO SOUND WHATSOEVER ON MY PC !I would be extremely interested to know which set of SB Live drivers work with XP, or whether I should just rip the card out and replace it.......with an SB Audigy 2 Player....probably ! :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.PS. Windows XP is driving me nuts at the moment, so a POSITIVE outcome here would be most welcome :-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris -- did you read my post in your other thread about Atomic XP? Btw, I'm using an older SB Live card with WinXP. The only problem I have with the sound card is that it doesn't fit very well in the PCI slots. I had to snip off some of the metal mounting plate and force the screw in. I had all sorts of problems until I figured out that the card wasn't seated properly. Random reboots, crashes, sound issues, lockups, everything.As far as drivers go, I am running the newest set they have offered on the SB website. Sorry, I can't tell you what number they are (I'm not on that computer) but I don't have any problems driver wise, aside from a static sound when I'm playing FS2k2.....but, we're trying to get FU3 to work... :(Hope this helps out somewhat, but you're problems sound similar to what I went though until I worked on the SB Live card seat.Pieter

Thanks for the tip Peter, but I am now seriously thinking about getting a new PC. At least with this everything would be tested with Windows XP installed before I even get my hands on it. Obviously, that doesn't include FU3, but I can't help that !I am considering reinstalling Windows ME on the existing PC, and then asking my Dad if he would like to have it. Believe it or not, he is still using a Pentium 166 ! :-eek However, he doesn't play games on his PC. He just uses MS Office and the internet. Do you think that a 1.2Ghz CPU and a 64Mb GeForce 3 Ti 200 will be able to cope ? :-lolAnyway, I am also thinking a few months down the line here.......when Half Life 2 and Deus Ex Invisible War are released. I am confident that they will both run on my current machine, but I want them to look superb, not average.I am also regretting my decision to buy a CD-RW drive. I have burned two backup CD's, but I noticed that several FU3 upgrade folders were empty when I checked them yesterday. I have heard rumours about this kind of thing happening....where files are there one minute, and then gone the next. If that's true, then it's ridiculous. I cannot rely on a backup system that may just vaporise from one day to the next !I am looking at getting an EXTERNAL 750Mb USB Zip Drive instead. At least with this, I will be able to transfer large files from one PC to another.....hopefully without it becoming vapourware during the five minute journey :-)At least I have the AVSIM FU3 file library as another backup option. I can always download my own upgrades if required. How pathetic is that ? :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

Chris, Just a short comment regarding the CD/RWs... Well, I've had a burner for years now, and burned literally hundreds of discs, mainly for data backup purposes... And I never had any problems. Sometimes a disc gets ruined during the burning (i.e. for a buffer underrun), but if the copy comes OK, well, I never had any data loss. I make two copies of important data, just in case I break or loose a disc, but I never had any "spontaneous" problems (I once lost a disc because I left it out in the sun in August, but hey, that was my fault).This is not true with Princo discs, that is - those are awful IMO!!! After some months, they use to become unreadable, starting from the outer edge of the disc. Needless to say that I stopped buying Princo discs years ago... :-)So maybe you should try some different makes of discs, and stick to one you trust...Cristian

ChrisSorry you have trouble with XP. I and my workmate both bought new PCsand have no trouble with FU2/3. Pentium4,2.4GHz,256RAM,Radion9000.Only time a glitch was on a reinstall, when FU3 windows kept appearing between disks, but I ignored these and kept pressing the OK button, and everything went in.RegardsGrant