Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Corrupt CD theory eliminated

Well, I can categorically eliminate the "corrupt FU3 install CD" theory from my list of potential XP haters. I decided to try installing FU3 using my second copy of the software, but I experienced yet another system shutdown.Oh dear, formatting the hard disk and installing Windows XP has become a decidedly less enthralling experience than it was two weeks ago. It looks like my only option is a completely new PC...... :-)Now, what should I get ? A 3Ghz Pentium 4 with 800Mhz FSB, Radeon 9700 Pro, 1Gb PC-3200 RAM, and a 120Gb hard disk sounds like FUN !!!!Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

FU doesn't need so strong machine, IMO. And W98 seems to be enough good for it. You spend to much time on formatting hd & installing OS then other things that computer is created for. But I wish you luck in your efforts.B.Adamski

Guest Quaxo

:-lol Well said Bogdan!!! :-) That's exactly what I was thinking. That's why I still have Win98SE... Actually, I also have XP, but that resides on a different partition, with a multi-boot. (BTW, FU runs fine in XP for me, but with lower frame rates...)Cristian

I have no problems with FU3 and framerate in XP :)What are your system specs? Did you install IDE bus master drivers for your particular IDE controller? Especially VIA and ALI chipsets tend to be a bit 'touchy* with regards to drivers.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Bogdan,You don't need to tell me that ! :-)The only reason that I have been messing around is because I am having such great difficulty getting FU3 to install. I want to get FU3 installed, so that I can START using my PC for its most important task. It is frustrating having to sit here and type messages on this forum when I want to be playing FU3 !!!!!Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen until I get a new PC. The FU3 install process even failed after I had reinstalled Windows ME. That seems to suggest that my PC has a deeper problem.....one that has only appeared since I first installed Windows XP. It's driving me bananas :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Jimmi,I have installed the VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 4.46 drivers, and I assume that this includes bus master IDE drivers. Do you have anything specific in mind when you mention these particular drivers ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Have you tried this?First, copy all the FU3 CDs to the harddrive, and also the FU2 CDs. Make a folder for each CD.Start the installation from the folder where you copied FU3 CD1, NOT from the actual CD.When you're told to insert the next disc, you can click 'browse' in the dialog box and browse to the next CD.It's a very strange problem. Getting a new PC to solve what is most likely a software or driver problem, seems a bit overkill, but it's a great excuse to upgrade :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest cornclose

Chris,Just a cautionary note about VIA bus master IDE drivers on older mobos. They're great, but are optimized for high speed transfers in the BURST modes. This means that CPU usage is often a lot higher than the default Microsoft IDE drivers. With FU3 (and pretty much any flight sim) we are not concerned about burst data rates, but a low CPU usage is more preferable, reducing stutters and jerkyness.I use HDTach to measure the performance of my disk systems using various drivers, and I still use the default VIA drivers which cam with Win98 on my sim system.RegardsChris E, ENGLANDhttp://www.circle-software.co.ukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Jimmi,I am not thinking about getting a new PC just to run FU3 ! I was intending to upgrade later this year anyway, since I want a decent system to run Half Life 2 and Deus Ex Invisible War.I may try the "copy the contents of the CD to hard disk" experiment, but I am concerned that I will experience yet another install failure. It is getting very tiresome :-fume Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest CaptRolo

Chris ;Do this , put win 98 back after a complete format and goverment wipe .Then get another computer for other things . I have done this to keep flying Fu3 with no operating system problems !. will connect by KVM switch my other computer with windows 2000 pro and I can acess both computers on same monitor ,keyboard .and mouse by just pushing a key .With networking or peer to peer hookup you can transfer files between the two .CaptRolo