Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

FS Meteo - lots of rain but clear sky!!?

I am thinking of getting this module and have just tried the demo version. As it is pouring with rain in Perth WA I download the weather but I got the rain with nice clear sky? Strange!!Anyone else have this problem?regardsRichard

Guest Joshieca

I have noticed other problems with this program...like the major one is that I don't think that it gets really current METARs...I compared the real METAR for an airport, with one that the FS2002 downloads and the one that Meteo downloads. It would seem that the one from FS2002 was more current.I am waiting for this program to see which one is better before I spend any $$$.http://fsw.simflight.com/previewfsskyweather.html- Joshhttp://members.cox.net/joshieca/fstimeslink.gif

Hi Richard,I have also noted this problem using the default FS2002 weather download. It was raining steadily at YSCB (Canberra) and visibility was quite poor, I downloaded real weather and got the rain with blue skies!So it may not be an FSMeteo problem.I haven't installed FSMeteo yet (waiting on cable connection).Andy (YSCB)

I use FSMeteo for a month now und must say, that it makes a major improvement to FS2002. The problems you mentioned I have not experienced so far (in opposite to FS2002 default "real weather"). Off course I only can speak for my hometown area.Which mode do you use within FSMeteo? Are you just downloading the weather once and then fly offline? Doing this (what I also do) might have caused your problem. As I understodd the METARS are updated once an hour. So maybe you were flying in weather conditions, how they were an hour ago when the METAR was last updated. And as far as I know the weather can change very quickly in Perth.BTW, even when you fly online you can't fully avoid this problem as METARS are still only apdated once an hour.RegardsWolfgang

Richard,I have used FS Meteo for a few years and have never had this problem...sorry I tell a lie, it has only happened on the rare time that the METAR server was down.Meteo usually gives far better, and more up to date info than the default 'real weather' bearing in mind that the METARS are only updated every hour as others have said.I assume you have FSUIPC installed which Meteo uses to 'talk' to FS?I am not sure if the demo version allows you to download weather other than current. If it does try asking for the weather one hour after it was raining and see if that gives you rain.What you saw is not typical and is either caused by no FSUIPC or just a delayed METAR update.Rgds

For what it's worth I've used it since it frist came out and have found it to be pretty reliable. Two days ago, sky was clear at my house (about 12 miles from KCLT). Fired up the sim and FSMeteo at KCLT and rumble, boom,grumble ,grumble , grumble. Rained at my house about 25 minutes later. Works prety well, IMHO. Best regards to all Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

Regarding the FSUIPC settings: which settings would suit best for using FS Meteo? I have heard there are some tweaks to do. I have never changed the settings from FSUIPC related to FSMeteo and other weather settings, but I think some tweaks would make it better. My only changes are related to CH Pro yoke and pedals.What kind of changes would you advise?Thanks in advance!Regards, Ferry

A couple of weeks ago it was in the 70's here in Carson (late May) and around 5pm I took off (virtually, natch) for Lake Tahoe under sunny, clear skies both in the Real World and in the sim. As I approached the lake I ran into a snowstorm and decided to land at Tahoe rather than go on to Sacramento. I told my wife we'd be getting some snow in the valley soon (our weather always comes from west to east, over the lake) and she looked at me like I was crazy. We awoke the next morning to see several inches of white covering the desert valley floor. She asked me how I knew and I said "Flight Simulator!"And FSMeteo, of course.

Guest Joshieca

>Regarding the FSUIPC settings: which settings would suit >best for using FS Meteo? I have heard there are some tweaks >to do. >>I have never changed the settings from FSUIPC related to >FSMeteo and other weather settings, but I think some tweaks >would make it better. My only changes are related to CH Pro >yoke and pedals. >>What kind of changes would you advise? >>Thanks in advance! >>Regards, Ferry Anyone have any suggestions here??When using FS Meteo...what do you set your FSUIPC settings at? There are all sorts of checkboxes and settings for wind, clouds, etc...if your using Meteo to download and update the weather while flying do you just uncheck these settings?Thanks Josh

The only change I made was to the wind settings.On the 'Transitions smoothed by layer' I cahnged the rate to 1kt/degree evry 2 seconds; I only did this to stop the wind speed/direction changes affecting the A/P of some add-on aircraft.I also have 'Set wind shear to sharp' on as recommended by Pete in his documentation.Do not set anything in in the clouds tab, most of that is if you are NOT using Meteo, leave the settings at default.Hope that helps.