Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

FU3 installation.....Part 14

I decided to attempt another FU3 install. I copied the contents of the first two FU3 CD's, and the two FU2 CD's to folders on the hard disk (CD1,CD2,CD3,CD4). However, just as the contents of the second FU2 CD were almost copied to the CD4 folder, Windows XP suffered one of its infamous shutdowns. This resulted in a failure of the copy process to the CD4 folder.Unfortunately, I did not realise this. When the PC rebooted, I ran the FU3 install procedure from the hard disk. This worked fine (it was certainly faster than pulling the data from the CD drive).....until it reached CD4. I kept being informed that it was the wrong disk, which I couldn't understand at first. Then I abandoned the install process, and opened the CD4 folder.IT WAS EMPTY. S**T :-)Anyway, I then copied the contents of the second FU2 CD again, and then ran the install program. It reached 11 per cent before......guess what ? Yet another Windows XP shutdown. What a magnificent piece of software. Microsoft must be so proud :-)At this stage, I feared the worst. Fortunately, I discovered that I could still run the install program without the software thinking that FU3 had been fully installed. So I tried again.This time, the install routine performed flawlessly, and FU3 is once again installed on my hard disk. I have now installed the patch, all of the packages and upgrades that form Seattle 2003 and SanFran 2003, Tom's Baron, Ansgar's 747, and all the other bits and pieces. All I need to do now is to run FU3, set the resolution, detail levels etc. from the OPTIONS menu, and calibrate the joystick.I don't intend to touch FLED if I can possibly help it......that might have to wait until I get a new PC.I just hope that I can run FU3 without incident from now on.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

Chris!!! that's wonderful. There's been a whole community here holding our breaths and turning blue hoping you would succeed. Its great to have you back in working order!Now for me, I'm sticking with my rusty old triable Pentium 500 (walking with Windows 98) until the next ice age. I don't have your computer skills to tinker with what's under the hood! All the best as you rebuild FU3! And please install UK-South! - its a nice country and you might like it ;-) RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Chris,I cannot help but think you may have a memory problem (with the PC, yours is fine) as the install problems you had are similar to a situation I had some years ago. The fault was a crook SIMM and, after reporting it to the distributor (and giving them a copy of this neat utility), they found about 20% of their 'Lifetime Warranty' SIMMS were faulty :-eekEventually, they found that their Asian buyer had bought rejects!Try running this little beastie. http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/13270.zipThe longer, the better (leave it overnight). Since I first discovered it, I have built-up a collection of faulty SIMMS - 8 in all. All these were in PCs that the users had complained were intermittently unreliable (one was mine). I have already given it to a few people here. Please try it because, if you do find something amiss, it will save you from (more) tearful hours ;)Anything to keep you on-line, Chris! Have a great weekend :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

It definitely is very strange that your PC would shut down from copying a CD to the harddrive. I've never experienced anything like that.Does it only happen with the FU2 CD2? Try copying a few other CDs to the harddrive and see what happens.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Jimmi,Actually, the shutdown occurred when I was clicking on the little x in the top right hand corner of the CD4 folder window.......and this is the first time that the PC has shutdown when doing this. To be honest, I am starting to think that Jon is right. Maybe I do have a problem with one of my memory sticks.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Jon,Thanks for the link. I will test my memory sticks with this little utility tonight.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png