Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

New aircraft requests - first list - 2nd June

Guest DLM

The 717 is an old dream of mine, i would be glad to help in anyway i can to make it fly in the skies of FU3.I have promised to help Ansgar with the A400M when he start building on it, so consider that my second choice.// Danielhttp://hem.bredband.net/b159735/UDsig3.jpg

How about a nice US Air Force McDonnell Douglas KC10 Extender flight refuelling tanker ? The high detail model could then be used in the High Detail AI pack to replace the default DC10.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest qvdg

Hi Jon, I actually found a Tigermoth version FS98 and converted as you indicated. It appears to be "slightly damaged" as there seem to be some segments missing in particular on the wings and tail. I just wanted to know if this is to be expected.Thanks QvdG

Hi Quentin,Your Tigermoth is ok. I got the same results with the Spitfire and Hurricane models. Use Anim8tor or GMAX ( I prefer GMAX ) and load the Tigermoth, then switch the direction of the "normals" of the missing plane they are looking the wrong way and this is why they are invisible. :-wave agtim

Guest jonpoint

Quentin,Andre is correct! The conversion processes often do this :-( When I first converted a Dash-8 model, some parts of the fuselage were missing (mapped wrong way) and some were doubled (two polygons back to back).All you need to do is go over the model, selecting faces one by one until you see an odd one. Reverse that then move on. When you have them all sorted, cut the plane apart (into separate ailerons, wings, tailplane, cowl etc to make texturing and later modification easier. Because we build from 'e'files, there is no need to combine or group surfaces prior to conversion.As you don't need a 'gear up' model, just try to keep below 2000 polygons. If you are including a pilot (and why not?), allow for another ~300 polygons for that so ~1650-1700 for the aircraft.If you start with a 65HP Cub as a base, the flight model will be close enough for a first try. Extract the flight model and look at the gear height (in metres). It is important to set your 3D models 'datum' point to the same height. It doesn't matter if the wheels float or sink because there is an 'offset' adjustment available at the front of the flight model file ;) If you don't do this, your landings may not register and your logbook will not record your destination.Best of luck, Quentin and "welcome aboard" :-wave Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Quentin,To deselect, hold the key down and right-click. You can drag-deselect too, exactly the same way using the 'drag-select' tool.To detach faces, select the faces you want to detach (an aileron for example) and hit 'edit-detach faces'. The selection will reset. Switch back to 'normal select' and the detached faces will be highlighted - you can drag them around now.Moving vertices is hard unless it has no fill. Try just moving the points around instead.:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest qvdg

Hi Jon, I just sent you a mail with a few more beginners questions as well as the current status of the project. Now that I started playing with modelling caper I think my evenings are booked right up until Christmas. Which Christmas I don't know yet ;-)Thanks, Quentin

Guest Mr Frizbee

Any chance you could add a Avro York and Sunderland flying boat to that list. A Vulcan bomber would be a novelty!

Guest Robs

Jon,There are some good aircraft here but I would say that FU3 could do with a small jet.....Salamander or Hawk or Meteor or Hunter....This came to me as I tried the Reno air racing challenge (I have flown both GB's and the Dago red) but I only have a couple of jets to choose fromBeechcraft - 747 (pig to get round the course but fast!) and SR71 ....uncontrollable!!! (The SR71 isn't that good compared to your high quality Dash and GB ....hint perhaps you could tidy the SR71 up)Any extra aircraft is ok with me!!!Rob

Guest DLM

Robs,The SR71 was my first project for FU3.I did update the flight model a few times so make sure you havethe latest version (available from my site Unlimited Design).I am aware however that it is far from a "on-the-numbers" performer.My main purpose for making it was to show the FU3 community really how far we can push the flight modeling of FU3.Anyone are welcome to modify the SR71 as long as the original Readme.txt file is included and approved by me. On a side note, i don

Yes, I agree that flying the SR71 around Steffen's race pylons is a ludicrous idea :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs

Chris Got a pretty fast time (around 400mph+) flying the virgin atlantic 747 around the posts at reno ....mostly knife edging the whole way and it doesn't matter how you overtake then with that big bird someone is going to winge.....In someways it is like a glider...the wingtips are a long way away ...so when you need to turn at around 100ft you have to make sure you don't catch the wingtips on the ground....Chris ...UR rite .....ludicross! SMILE!

How about a Cessna SKYMASTER, with Push-Pull engines! This is a high performance aircraft, even utilized for air-surveillance/military and other operations.

Guest jonpoint

Excellent idea ;)Shall I put you down for it then? I would advise using the Baron base and working the flight model first, to prove that FU3 works with engines set BOTH ways. You may have to 'pretend' that the rear prop is being driven from behind but that's OK. Simply set the rear engine mass to zero and add the weight to the fuselage. Otherwise, she'd be tail-heavy.:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************