Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

bin file naming and FLED

Guest andy9164

Ok, so now I am having some silly problems.I recently created some models and converted into bin files. I put these and the required mips into the regions/uksouth/gen folder.I opened FLED, went to the location, placed the model. When i went to movr it I could not select it or any other model.I then went to place another model and constantly in the list of models that appeared it automaticallt dragged me back to my original model.I renamed the bin file, same result, rebuilt the model same result. Eventually after 1 hour I got a name that stuck. However, I had used the original model name previously and only replaced the bin file as I had made a slight adjustment.Anyody else seen this problem?Originally file was called lydr320 (appeared as lydr32 in FLED which is correct)eventually got the name lyr320 to work, but this is now different to my other model names (lydr220 and lydr140) which seem to be ok.Is there a correct naming convention, are my bin files wrong, or am I just damn unlucky. Its now testing my patience.Any help would be appreciated and I might be able to get this airport finished.Andy

Guest glidernut

Andy,There has been no BIN model put on avsim or put on the UK-South CD,s thatstarts with lySo when you speek of the original model, you meen your original model,as on one els has it.This dusnt help dus it!Youl hav to wate for Doctor Robert Driscoll.glidernut.:-wave

Guest andy9164

John,Your'e quite correct, I meant my original model.I dont know where Dr. Driscoll is, it might be, as they say, "The Doctor is out".Will do some more experimenting tonight.Andy

Guest R_Driscoll

I have had this problem several times myself. In each case it has been caused by the following steps:making a new modelputting it into GENplacing it in a package using FLEDlooking at it in FU3 then DECIDING TO CHANGE ITrevising the modelputting the new model into FLEDwhoops - CRASH - stuck model !!When FLED adds a new model to a scenery package, it seems to add a lot of inforemation about the model, especially size. If you don't delete the model in the FLED package, it stays in the scenery. Even if it is modified or deleted in the GEN directory! And FLED will crash if the SIZE of the model changes at all.This is the reason why new versions of old models can't be easily published on AVSIM. People will copy the new models into GEN, and every package using that model will have problems.Solution to problem:Delete the PACKAGE. Reinstall package from backup. Now install the new model into the package in FLED.(you did keep a backup, yes?)Avoiding the problem:When developing a new model, always test drive it in FU3. But when you do, if you want to change the model, DELETE it from the package before installing the new version into GEN. So your model design steps are:making a new modelputting it into GENplacing it in a package using FLEDlooking at it in FU3 then DECIDING TO CHANGE ITDELETING the call to the model in FLEDrevising the modelputting the new model into FLEDand BLISS and happiness reign supreme.(but still keep current working backups of packages - it just make sense).ALARM MESSAGE: But what if I didn't keep a backup?You whomping galah (sorry to say that Andy, but the truth will out).But UNpanic. There is a possible other solution.Rebuild the earlier version of your model. Reinstall that into GEN. Restart FLED. FLED will purr along happily because its long lost model has been found again. Load the package that calls the model, and then delete the call to the old model. Delete ALL calls to the old model.Save, exit FLED.Rebuild NEW version of model again.Reinstall into GEN.Restart FLED.Reload package.Reinstall new model version into FLED.and, as they say in French, Bob est mon oncle.If I have misdiagnosed, send me more details Andy and I will try and help. But by the time you read this, you will probably have fixed it anyway. You northern heathen tribes keep weird working hours.Dr Iscoll.(aka Bob the builder or RobD).*************************************************************I cannot afford medical indemnity, so any remedies suggested here are taken at your own risk. *************************************************************

Guest andy9164

Rob,I came to a very similar assumption at 3am this morning but not in such great depth. Your diagnosis is absolutely correct, how brilliant, and you didnt even need to see the patient. I am suffering greatly from a condition called "never happy" (Latin name - constantius changeanitus) where I constantly feel the urge to tweak this, modify that, move the other, which is seriously preventing me from getting any further than adding runways and taxiways at the moment. The problem seems to be made worse when I sit at my PC with my favourite tipple (A large glass of Australian Nottage Hill Cabernet Shiraz) and the more I consume, the greater the urge.Unfortunately I cannot be outed, as yes, I did keep a backup, always have done, always will, so reverting back will be easy. I decided last night that there was just one more tweak and then I will progress onto the main airport area, unless I hit the bottle (again).Thanks Doc.Andy

Guest andy9164

What a happy chappy I am.Have modified to my hearts content tonight, all in the causes of thorough testing you understand and not one single issue with FLED. (the Shiraz helped)Thanks to Rob (again).Andy

Guest R_Driscoll

You're welcome! Nice to be right for once.RobD.

Guest jonpoint

Yes, I've found red wine to be great for the creative, uh... juices! SO much so that I now subscribe to the Hunter Valley Wine Society :-)Maybe this explains my sudden interest in doing the GeeBee - or the Dash-8???Anyway, itch alwaysh nisher to relax wif a bottle or two of a nishe red when BEE-ESH-PEE goshe wid and givesh you shenerl pertectshun fults...Pleesh note that the subject readsh the shame whevver you're tiddled or not ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Robs

I have just been reading the archives to find out what I have done.I think this accounts for the undeletable object.I think I have just done this!!!!I made a model...and editied and think I put it in the package before deleteing the old one and then placed a new one in exactly the same place...the model wasn't there...hmmm...teach you to work late at night!!How do I wipe the package clean and start again...just delete the appropriate package folder? Rob

Guest R_Driscoll

Hi Rob, and congratulations! You are the one millionth happy customer to make this mistake (I was the first 999,998 customers I think).If you can remake the original model, then its a little easier:1) Remake the original model2) Install it in GEN3) Open FLED (which should now work correctly)4) Find all occurrences of the model (there is a FIND option in FLED) and delete them5) Save and exit6) Remake the new version of the model7) Install it (overwriting) in GEN8) Open FLED with your packageNo problemo.If you can't rebuild the old model, then it is not too difficult to rebuild even a complex package the second time. But if you have edited the airport, you can find the airports subdirectory and save that separately, then reinstall it later. In fact, all you need to delete is a little file called m0.mod in your INNERUK-SOUTHMODELS directory.Hope this helps,RobD.

"If you can't rebuild the old model, then it's not too difficult to rebuild even a complex package the second time".That's a great sense of humour you have there, Robert :-lol I can only assume that you are somehow spared from experiencing the wonderful world of FLED crashes, corrupted files after reset, and huge amounts of wasted time and effort. Am I correct ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Further to the above reply, does anyone else here experience the "ERROR, wrong object type" message after certain FLED crashes and resets ? This has only happened to me since I have been using Windows XP.A WORD OF ADVICE ABOUT THE ABOVE ERROR.................save your work regularly (as usual), but also make a backup of the package AFTER EACH SUCCESSFUL SAVE. If you do not, when you eventually get this error message, you are ******. You will have to delete the package and start again ! This happened to me, but it will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. I have learned my lesson.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm changing the subject a bit now but here's another way to mess things up: Sometimes when you move an object it disappears. It's being "shoved under the carpet", presumably under an adjacent megatile that has a higher elevation. If you're still holding the mouse button down you may move the model back until it reappears. However, if you drop it I don't know if it's possible to pick it up again. If I see this happening (model creeping under a megatile as I try to reposition it) I move it back until it shows again, place another copy of it in the right spot and delete the first copy. In other words, a model takes the elevation of the tile unto which it was originally placed -- when your construction site is spanning two different tiles you need to be careful about not crossing the "fault line" as you move them around.best regards,Hans Petter

Yes, I am very familiar with that. Upgrading the trees in my airfield packages sometimes involves moving them around, and this happens frequently. Thankfully, I don't seem to have "let any go".One puzzle that I have noted however is the presence of several trees to the west of the Aero Plaza runway. The problem here is that they are not default trees, and they are not part of my Aero Plaza package ! :-eek I will have to experiment to see if I have accidentally placed these in another package instead. If so, the corrections will be made.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

Sorry Chris, I wasn't thinking of your packages when I said complex! I think placing taxiways/trees is the hardest, slowest part of airport building - similar because each point or tree has to be placed carefully, and fit in with others. And one of the worst crashes I had in FLED was with Stansted where having placed about 6 billion (and I never exaggerate) taxiway edges, one of them went wrong and the whole string of point joins unravelled. I couldn't recover it and had to rebuild the lot. Luckily as my family will agree, I am a model of patience (oh, they're not here at the moment - what a pity).With Windows ME, crashes in FLED seem worse than in Win98. Even minor crashes require a complete system reboot on my computer.RobD.