Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

bin file naming and FLED

Bob or Robert, may I recommend an NT-based OS ? :-) My FLED crashes involve FLED only. No reboots. Well, I guess I'm missing out on reboot pauses to get another cup of coffee...Seriously, I'm very happy with Win 2000 :-)Hans Petter

Guest R_Driscoll

Yes, my son would agree with you. He wants me to upgrade the whole computer. But then, he's not paying for it!

Guest Robs

Hans,Sorry win2000 is an awful operating system...especially for patch games...true it doesn't stop but it does make a big mess of things instead!!I would upgrade to XP - that seems to take gamer punishement well but my poor 2 year old computer (doesn't time treat computers badly) probably would take it and also I'm mean. On the subject of paying for computers then I'm with Dr Driscol. Of course it does me his son could have his old computer and stop bothering him!!!! :-)Robs.

What do you mean by "patch game"? Is it a patched game / one being fixed by a "service upgrade"?Secondly, in what way can a more stable OS mess things up? I would think that a crashing OS would be more prone to corrupt files as it goes down in a less graceful and controlled manner.Others have stated something to the extent of Win2000 being XP without the "hype", the new interface and the bloated overhead. If XP really adds something useful I'm all ears :-)Hans Petter

Robert,You really should have saved multiple copies of Stansted as you built it. That is something that I am doing with every package at the moment, since FLED can occasionally produce a very nasty "ERROR, wrong object type" message when running in Windows XP.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs

Chris,I do back up crucial things but as I have been mucking around with the taxigrpah and everything I was always going to ditch this version and replace the models ......there aren't that many at the moment...I have the models and source files all backed up and copious paper notes....If I could get Fled working and hour would see me back where I was with no problem.....maybe a couple but I don't mind that....I back up lots of stuff here...my backups run into gigs of stuff zipped onto zip disks as CDs are too small! I am pretty well protected....Once I can get fled working...I'll be offRob.

Guest Robs

Hans Everyone has their own fav operating system......I am not a fan of Win2000 because it can be very awkward to work with. If you are doing what Microsoft want then it all works well...As a test to this try to uninstall windows explorer if you don't like it!!I find it is easier to patch games with win 98. The laptop is win2000 and I fnd win 98 more reliable....win2000 has errors and continues which is not always desirable.This is my opinion. I have heard and seen good things about xp...but none is really idea.If you like win2000 then good luck to yer! Me I kinda liked the nice world of DOS....I am not old enough to start likeing unix yet :-)Rob.

Guest Robs

Hans Everyone has their own fav operating system......I am not a fan of Win2000 because it can be very awkward to work with. If you are doing what Microsoft want then it all works well...As a test to this try to uninstall windows explorer if you don't like it!!I find it is easier to patch games with win 98. The laptop is win2000 and I fnd win 98 more reliable....win2000 has errors and continues which is not always desirable.This is my opinion. I have heard and seen good things about xp...but none is really idea.If you like win2000 then good luck to yer! Me I kinda liked the nice world of DOS....I am not old enough to start likeing unix yet :-)Rob.

Guest jonpoint

Ah, Chris!You are starting to warm to XP, huh? Good isn't it? Piece of garbage if you ask me. I mean, come on - if you have saved a file, that should be it but OH NO, XP reserves the right to trash your data any way it can. It's a piece of garbage. NT4 is 20000% better (because it doesn't try to second-guess you) but alas, XP is a living Dodo in our books.A certain multi-national corporation (>10,000 users - no names mentioned) are so unhappy with it, all new PC installations use Win2K. My office PC was 'upgraded' to XP to run some new software (itself another Dodo) and has caused the following issues vs. the Win98 OS it replaced:1. Crashes just as often - yes it's true. And yes, if you want to run the crashed prog, YOU HAVE TO REBOOT. Obviously, those who believe this is a step forward are content to switch their workload mid-stream and do something else. I don't.2. Takes forever to start. Oh, the desktop appears quickly but, when I try to do anything, it just sits there. 98 starts in 50% of the time AND, when the desktop does appear, you can use it!3. Goes into it's own little world every now and then, running like a 4.7MHz XT. In reality, it has decided that you aren't busy(!) and is rattling through your PC, rearranging files, compacting it's cumbersome error logging and probably playing Solitaire with itself. BTW, this is the feature that causes most problems. I know because our network drives get out-of-sync every time an XP PC writes to it. Why? It doesn't actually write the data straight away but just sets up a link and 'waits'. For what I'll never know. 2 minutes later the files are transferred. We don't use 'delayed writes' or anything, BTW.4. Requires constant optimising and upgrading. Well, Micro$oft knew this, hence the above operations, hard-wired into the OS. Since installing it, I have downloaded and installed ~100Megs of files :-eek Add to that 'security' features (bugs) that previous OSs don't have and you have a poorly-designed (sic) product with lacklustre performance that only works at all because most users have GHz PCs and internet connections!Phew! Gimme '98 any day!:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Hans,Do you not have to reset the PC when FLED freezes ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Rob,I was actually referring to Robert DRISCOLL with that message !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Robs

ChrisRob is damn fine name. I'm sure Rob'll back me up on this.Hans - Rob or Bob works fine for me but we have 3 Roberts in our company and so Rob and Bob where already taken so I became Robs.Sorry for the confusion Chris!!Rob

Jon,So Windows XP isn't something that you'd appreciate as a Christmas present ? :-lolHave you experienced the "ERROR, wrong object type" message ? It seems to happen most frequently when I am involved in "tree upgrades".Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest andy9164

Seems I get off lightly with my XP, maybe because mine wasn't an upgrade but a new machine, with a few bits pinched from my old machine.I was originally 98 then upgraded to ME. This is where my machine started to go wrong, constant crahes, lockups, errors etc. So I ditched it and bought all new bits.Clean, new install of XP, yes I have occassional crashes with Fled especially just after saving when I get a Microsoft message asking me if I want to send them a report. However, I have never had to reboot my machine at this point, just restart Fled, and amazingly the save has actually worked.Sorry if this upsets some of you, but I have never seen a major crash / lockup using XP on any program and I have a lot loaded (due to constant demand of 3 kids)Andy

Andy,That kind of FLED crash sends me back to the desktop, but I generally have to reboot the PC, since FLED keeps on giving me the same "message from Microsoft" until the system is "clean" (in other words, ScanDisk has checked it). Mind you, the save almost always works anyway.Have you not experienced any "freezes" with FLED.....or "ERROR, wrong object type" messages ? If not, then you are incredibly lucky. I would get in the habit of saving different backups as your package development progresses, because when you see that "ERROR, wrong object type" message, there is no going back. That particular copy of your package is HISTORY.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png