Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Flyable planes in FU3 file library

Can anyone here provide a list of the best flyable planes to be found in the AVSIM FU3 file library ? I know that this is highly subjective, but maybe I could get some idea from the number of "votes" that each plane gets.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

I can't rate them on realism or accuracy -I'm just a desktop pilot. But the ones I have enjoyed the most (and at great risk of hurting the designer's feelings which I don't want to do - you're all amazing!):Renegade (still my favourite because of its functionality)B1900D (unfinished plane I think, but has exactly the right properties for scenery development and great sounds!)The Malibu.B747DC3 (don't ask which one - they're all great)The BG's - excitement machine. Autoland required.The Cub (Bazza's masterpiece)Baron (The Red is my current favourite, but Ansgar's will move up when the interior/panel etc are upgraded - the motor sounds are whhhheeeeooowww)The Glider (and all I need is a tall tall cliff, and a wind to steer her by ...)The Microlight (upgraded version) visibility plus!Cessna 172 (I have forgotten which ones - Hennie's, Tom's - I would have to check at home). Just for ease of driving.The Blimp - for Mt Rainier tours! Try it sometime.And I love the acrobatic machines, never been good at flying the Fokker's but they look nice, don't like the Storch especially.And my order would probably change tomorrow. And I've probably forgotten half the ones I like - I have over a hundred in my various hangars now. Congrats to all the craft designers!!! You are incredible.RobD.

Changing the topic a bit, you mentioned the B1900D. This reminds me of the fact that a B1900 looks distinctly different from a Kingair. Yes, they're similar but the B1900 really requires a model tweak. However, this could EASILY be based on our splendid Kingair model. Another "unfinished" model is Capt. Bazza's BAe 146. Then there's an almost finished Lear, being based on the Beechjet. How about tying up these loose ends and finish the planes that we already have?Hans Petter

Guest jonpoint

Great idea, Hans-Petter!I suggested someone might look at redoing the 1900 to actually look like one! It should be simple enough to just replace the 3D models for now and leave everything else unchanged.Unchanged? What, no clear windows?, nobody in the cockpit... ? Aw geez, here we go again... :-eekI do agree that these 'unfinished' models should be attended to. I also think they'd be a great place to start for people wanting to learn. We've all gotta start somewhere, eh?Finally, my recommendations are (in no specific order):747/747SP, DC3 (v1.20 of course!), Renegade, Archer, Stemme vfrmax, Mirage and Cub (90hp). Of course, I have a few Beechjets!To be fair, I haven't mentioned my two current faves (the GeeBee and the Dash-8) because I'm biased. Nothing beats the skittery, overpowered feel of the GeeBee IMHO when you just want to 'let lose' and barrel-roll through Seattle streets :-hah 'Dago Red' is a true beast but it still feels heavy (and requires nerves of titanium alloy). The Dash-8 (when you get to try it) is not as exciting but is stable and easy to fly and looks very graceful in flight. I am hoping that some things learned from the Dash-8 will flow into other turboprops in the future.Sorry, you probably weren't really asking for a developer's opinion ;):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon,Stability at low speeds is what I am looking for, so your Dash 8 sounds perfect :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest juvat2

Is it possible, were they to authorize it, to export Steve Hess's excellent instrument panel and instruments from his Baron58SCH to Ansgar's BaronAvm112? Only thing it needs is maybe an ignition switch for each engine.Jim B.Steves panel in his great Baron58SCH: http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/14602.jpg

Guest jonpoint

Jim,There IS a way, however, as entire cockpits cannot be exported (it's never worked for me) it's done like this:- Grab the Baron model with Steve's cockpit. Also, grab the BaronAVM.- Open the BaronAVM in Resviewer and 'export-multiple' ALL the texture files, 3D models and palette to a safe folder.- Export the flight model as well and convert it back to a resfile.- Open the Baron (Steve's) and import the textures and palette.- Import the flight model- You may need the 'axle' file (file 90) as well as I don't know if Ansgar edited it (Ansgar??). This is how Steve and I worked together with the GeeBee. Being based on the Mustang, Steve simply (simply?) created the cockpit with a standard P51 then sent me the resfile. I then imported the specific GeeBee stuff into it and voila! This method is also helpful to aircraft designers to do 'fresh' rebuilds if/when the project resfiles get trashed ;)Hope this helps. Maybe you can post it in the library when you've done it?:-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Jim,Awwwww, crap! I forgot to tell you to import the 3D models back in. Sorry! :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest juvat2

Hi Jon,Basically this is converting a copy of Steves 58SCH to a AVM112?I've always had trouble converting a flt model back to res, so wouldn't be able to do that step.The other steps seem within my abilities.Will give it a go if Steve and Ansgar give their blessings. I wonder if Steve already has a cockpit project in-work for Ansgars baron?If successful, I most certainly will upload here.Take care,Jim B.

Guest Ansgar

Hello together,I am sure that Hans Petter can give here the right answers. ;-) The BigRed baron model he is working on has an awesome new cockpit from Steve! I have received beta

OK, here's the status on the Big Red,Currently it's got Tom Wunders panel. I have been waiting for Steve's new Baron panel but I haven't heard anything for some time. Tom's panel is very nice and "flyable" but Steve's panel captures the look of a real Baron better. This goes for his old panel (posted above) and previews of his upcoming version looked very promising.The Big Red is close to being finished but I always find something more to work on. Lately I've been working on rivets :-roll These are our options,1) Wait for Steve's new panel2) Upload the aircraft with Tom Wunder's panel3) Upload the aircraft with Steve's previous panelAny of these choices are good options and one choice doesn't preclude the others. And, uploading a "version 1" doesn't mean that there won't be more to come later :-) So, we should really have a Steve Hess panel and the question is which one. If the new one is right around the corner we should use this one with Ansgar's model, otherwise the one from Baron58 SCH will do fine.I think I'll upload the Big Red with Ansgar's model and Tom Wunder's panel first and we can take it from there. Several panel options may be a good thing since then everyone can choose his/her favorite one :-)Hans Petter

Guest Rich Wren

I've been looking at that 146 for a bit now, and I'd really like to finish it off. No offence meant to Capt Bazza, but I feel that the model just doesn't quite capture the proportions of the aircraft. The flight model has a few interesting quirks as well, especially the trim setting out of reposition. I also feel that the roll performance is a bit too lively. Frankly the real aircraft is a bit of a cow to fly, its manoeuvering performance just doesn't match its short-field performance.It'd be nice to put a full EFIS system in it similar to the 747, but if it has to be clockwork at least it could be given a panel reflecting the aircraft.Anyone interested?Rich.

I have not had much time lately. I had to start over on the Big Red cockpit. I went back and started over when Ansgar's Baron was uploaded, then lost every thing and started over again. Sorry but that caused me to lose motivation for a little while. but started again last week. It may be a little while longer but I promise ti finish it.

Guest Ansgar

Hello Steve!I have a version from your cockpit dated at 03/05/2003. So if you lost everything by a crash or so, I sure can send you back this version to save your valuable time rebuilding everything!Let me know if it is usefull or not needed.Best regards and a nice weekend Steve :)Ansgar