Sign in to follow this  

Trim wheel wishes for 2k2

(this is probably only for non-force feedback yokes)I don't know if any of the SDKs would allow this to be programmed, but another sim I have has a trim wheel and a trim "button" - The wheel works just like the wheel in any other sim, but the trim button feels a lot more natural to me - when you're stabilized in your desired attitude, you push and hold the button, release yoke pressure, and voila, you're trimmed up.Now I realize real aircraft don't have a trim button (at least I think they don't!) but to me, pushing the button and releasing the yoke feels way more natural to me than trying to get it right with the trim wheel. The reason for this is that in a real 172, I adjust the trim wheel until I feel no pressure from the yoke. It may take a few twists, but it's easy to feel.My yoke, which is not force feedback, obviously has no real indication of pressure.Another thing which would be almost as good would be trim wheel "memory" buttons, which would allow you to trim to a certain attitude, press button #3, for example, and it would save the trim wheel setting. Then, if I push button #3, the wheel turns relatively quickly and trims to the preset.I know planes don't have this, either, but in a 172, if I want to trim in a takeoff climb, I know I need to pull the wheel down 1 and 3/4 turns... for a cruise descent, I may pull the wheel 1/2 a turn. The trim memory buttons could simulate this a bit, because I have no way of quickly pulling the wheel.

Guest JonP01

I agree that trimming in FS is sometimes a little "uncomfortable". I use an MS Precision 2 joystick and have my keyboard setup so that the elevator trim is the up and down arrow keys. Of course my joystick has a constant non FF tension, so I really have to rely on visuals and instruments only to set the trim. I found that repeatedly lightly tapping the up or down arrow keys works best for trimming, rather than holding the keys down and letting the wheel start to spin, as it were (it is very hard to stop the trim overcompensating in the latter case).I'm seriously thinking of getting the GoFlight landing gear / trim wheel module as I'm very happy with my GF-45 module. I just have to find the space on my desk somewhere.

Nice idea. Having a force feedback stick myself, the feedback levels really do not assist much in the setting of proper trim so it would be of use to everyone, not just non-force folks.Ray

That trim 'lock' button sounds a good idea, if it is possible.Since getting my Saitek X36 with its numerous buttons and 2 rotaries trimming is much easier than using the keyboard; I have assigned one of the rotaries to the elevator trim axis so can trim with my thumb on the rotary.I tend to fly add-on 'heavies' and the trim works quite well but as soon as I try a default a/c trimming does not seem as precise, but I can live with it :-)

Exactly. There is the reason i hardly ever trim in Fs2k2. I can feel the pressure, but flying in RL, trim is the best thing up there :)