Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy9164

That Sinking Feeling !!!!

Guest andy9164

Hi all, and time for some more help please.Well, I am finally happy with my layout for Lydd airport and have all runways, taxiways, apron and of course, Glidernuts hanger in place and ready to go. I did have some problems with "Taxigraph", but so has someone else and there is a post which will help, but.........When I leave my parking spot and head down the first taxiway, I sink.My plan, all but the tail, disappears for about 20 metres and the slowly re-emerges. I guess this must be something to do with elevation of the map??? but can someone help be to get it level.And finally, how do you "label" a taxiway so that Ground gives you "Taxi to park via Alpha, November, Charlie". I only have November, so where ever I go its always "via November"Thanks in advance.Andy

Hello Andy.Yes I also know the problem to that sinking feeling.I landed at Lynham AB. and discovered that some part of the runway was water.(about a lenght of 150feet).My aircraft was sinking and only the tale was visible.You can try to cover your problem by placing some solid concrete taxiway there.You can also try some small changes of placing the taxiway and see if you can find solid ground for a safe drive.Good luck!Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest Quaxo

Andy, Lars,For the sinking/water problem: the aircraft sinks because the terrain isn't totally flat; and the classification file tells the sim that there is water there. I can easily fix that though: just tell me on which megatile is the airport you're developing, and where the airport is located on that tile (if there is more than one airport). Also tell me the actual, real-world elevation for the airport.I will then do an elevation fix for both tiles, and send it to you so you can include it in the airport package. It will of course also be included in the future UK update disc...Cristian

Cristian.Thank's.i hope more can do some test landings at some of the other airports to see if they have to call the coastguard resque team:-rotor I also found one in the Cardiff area some time ago, but can not remember the name of it.I will try to find the real life elevation for the "water airports"if I find more, and send it over to you.Best regards.Lars Peter.:-wave

Guest andy9164

Thanks Christian,I will have a look tonight to see if there is any water under there and it may be easier for me to move my starting point. I did actually "drive" up and down each runway and taxiway to see if they were OK as I had heard of this problem and all others were ok. It is just on the first taxiway from my hangar so its only about 75m long.I will come back to you if I need more help. Thanks for your kind offer.Andy:-)

Guest Quaxo

Lars,These problems happen because Andre used an algorythm to obtain the land classification; and most of the runways became water (including Heathrow, Stansted, Southampton and so on). When doing the Update 3, I tried to correct as many airports as I could; I corrected the bigger ones, and some of the smaller ones. But I didn't have the time to correct everyone... But as I said, the correction process is quite fast and easy once you learn it; so I can do the corrections for who needs them.The airports are not completely flat because the terrain elevation isn't perfectly aligned, and it's fractally interpolated - that's why we get slopes when there is flat land in reality. This is quite easy to fix, too. Especially if the slope is very gentle... (in steeper areas it's more difficult to correct things without generating ugly "walls" at the boundaries of the airports...):-wave Cristian

Guest Quaxo

Hi Andy,I think that even if the problem is small, it's better to correct it. It's better if the airport area is flat - otherwise, the 3D models can float above the ground somewhere. I've seen this happen in many airports, before they were "flattened"... ;-)Cristian

Cristian.If it is easy to fix this small problem, it would be great to have itcorrected.Thank's again for your kind offer.Lars Peter.:-wave

Andy,Open your Lydd Airport package and use the EDIT AIRPORT option in the OBJECTS menu to select your particular airport. Left click on the CENTRE of one of the taxigraph sections, and select OBJECT PROPERTIES from the OBJECTS menu. Now add a letter in the OBJECT NAME box that corresponds with the desired taxiway designation ("a" for alpha, "b" for Bravo...etc). You will need to do this for ALL sections of taxigraph.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

OK Lars, but... Where is the airport? :-) You would save me a lot of time if you tell me on which megatile it is... (go over the airport in FLED, and it will tell you, in the lower bar, the megatile)...:-waveCristian

Cristian.I found Lyneham againThe zoar mode is:51.62073N 1.99253W.Top/down:51.37.475N 1.58.506W.Megatile:bias.Small tile: 139cv.Here is a screenshot of it:Lars Peter.

Guest Quaxo

Thanks Lars! I'll do the fix as soon as possible. I probably won't be able to do it tomorrow (I'll work until late evening) but probably I'll do it on Wednsday... :-)CristianP.S. It's a nice Beechjet you're flying... Very appropriate! ;-)

There's an option in FLED to show classification. I get blue for water and green for land. I don't know how to change it though. However, if anyone should decide to fly a Beaver and land on water it's important to get this right both ways--floatplanes need well-defined lakes and airports need solid tarmac. The classification doesn't matter too much for the scenery at large. We just need to focus on wide expanses of water (well, any lake or river) and get the shorelines about right. Otherwise a floatplane may run unto dry land while it looks like it's located a safe distance offshore. As airports are concerned the main thing is to ensure that all taxiways and runways are dry and the classification of the adjacent terrain is not critical. best regards,Hans Petter

Guest andy9164

Chris,Excellent thanks. Some more work to do then....Andy

Hello all,;-)I followed all this discussion with much interest. No the probl