Sign in to follow this  

Got gliding, thanks, but fu3 seems to chug a bit.

Got the glider packs installed, and everything is rosey in that respect, but FU3 seems to slow down to about 16 or 17 FPS when there's a few other gliders in the sky. I'm running an AMD xp1700 with a geforce3 and 512 DDR. I would have thought this was plenty to run such an old sim. I have got stuff turned up, but again, thought the sim would cope well. Can anyone tell me if there's anyways of speeding things up (I bet turning the clouds down is one, isn't it - though I seem to remember the skies empty when I was gliding).How about distant mountains and haze?Can anyone tell me what's best to limit to get some better speed out of the sim?

Guest glidernut

Gottedammerung,We still dont hav your first name ?Dont forget you started a thred half way doun the page !Finish one bifor you start another, pleez. Any and all compremizes you make bitween speed and quolatyare your persanel preferanses.Distant mountains would be the first slider to lower as itsa big frame rate hog.I dont use haze, I dont like it.Glidernut.

You are quickly starting to appreciate just how much power FU3 needs ! I have a 1.2 Ghz Athlon Thunderbird, and I would consider 16 or 17 fps to be some of the HIGHEST framerates that I ever get (even with clear skies). Admittedly, this is with FSAA and aniso enabled, but I wouldn't even consider running FU3 without them :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well,-Using my new system,-P4 2.5ghz, I also have problems withgetting the framerates over 16-17 in areas with added buildings.My old system P3-600 is not far behind this, so even with a fastsystem, there is not so mutch improvements as you would expect.Best regards.Lars Peter.

Thanks for the help, guys. I had a sneaking feeling that would be the case. Oh well, at least I know I'm not alone.Glidernut. Sorry, I thought the other one was done. My first name? It would have to be "Lord" - as in "Lord Gottedammerung Alighty" Which is what my wife would probably say I see myself as :-).Again, thanks for the help.

Guest R_Driscoll

I was setting some record framerates last week. I had just installed Chris Low's San Fran package and went for a test flight, and over near the Golden Gate Bridge, framerates dropped to 0.5 fps! Now is that a record? A slideshow indeed.But of course this was not Chris' fault or his packages - they are fine. Its just that i'd forgotten to use that trick of linking the Seattle directories, so the new packages couldn't find the objects, especially trees. Once I had linked the directories, things got back to their former healthy 8-10 fps (which is what I live with).*************************************************************************And incidentally, congratulations again Chris, the add-ons for San Fran are brilliant and add substantially to the feel of the region. They are SUPERB !!*************************************************************************I will add Seattle sometime soon but have been busy. It looks like it should work well if someone can sort out the outer terrain issues.On an odd note, before installing I had to clean up some stuff I had put into San fran a long time ago for testing purposes - a Big Ben, a large dome, London bridge and other assorted junk I had dropped around San Fran airport when testing colours, about 63 million years ago.RobD.

What 's all this about linking directories. How do you do that, then?