Sign in to follow this  

FU1 (or FU95 as It was called)...

I loaded it up, just to compare gliding, and get a tow, which is excellent fun. And I was thinking, now if only there was a 3D patch, like some of those old games have, that would make it all a lot more bearable. I donlt suppose anyone knows if there is one out there. I did a web search but didn;t come up with anything.

Guest Quaxo

FU1 was the DOS version; FU95 was the Win95 version. It was almost the same program, but with some differences - FU95 has many more sceneries where to fly, but FU1/DOS has a very neat jello-cube credits screen! :-) But the actual sim is identical.FU1/DOS is much slower than the Windows version, with modern PCs. Maybe that's because FU95 uses DirectX? But I'm not sure.The DOS version is much more difficult to get up and running on newer PCs, while the windows version usually works straight away.As for the 3D patch: I'm afraid it doesn't exist. There are some patches for the DOS version, to fix some bugs and to add support for "newer" (for then) cards; but no acceleration support. We must live with what we have... :-)By the way, in my opinion the flight dynamics were modelled much better in FU1/FU95 than in any other simulator... Including FU3... :-Cristian

I'd read that the flight dynamics were the best, and the gliding feels really good. I got it to run fine on Win XP by using the compatability feature on the install exe, and runs fast as well, trouble is there's some distortion on the terrain - it seems to warp in places, which is a bit of an immersion killer. It's still great being towed, though. I fact, I think I'll give it another go now...thanks for the reply.

Guest glidernut

Gottedammerung,Lord all mighty, youv dun it agen, started another conversashon in a 6th place, and youv stil got me wating for an egnoligement in the first place, the (Gliding advice) thred.If you stay in one place, we might be abel to comunikate beter.glidernut.

Guest Quaxo

Gottedammerung,I seem to remember the terrain warp - I think it got much better if you set the "mesh detail" setting to max, in the option screen... Or maybe it was some other setting, I don't remember - a long time has passed. But it was something in the "Rendering options" screen... I'll check ASAP and let you know!As for the flight model: I might be wrong, but I think that FU1 is the only simulator to simulate the decrease in IAS when your aircraft (and then your pitot tube) is "sliding" sideways, or has an high angle of attack... :-)Glidernut,You're right, he's started many new threads, but it seems to me that they are - more or less - about different subjects... So it isn't a problem for me to have different threads. It makes easier for people to read the threads in which they're intrested, ignoring the others if they wish... And after all, our forum isn't over-crowded like MSFS's, so we can afford having some more threads! ;-) That's just my opinion anyway...:-waveCristian

Guest glidernut

Sory Lord, Cristian is right.glidernut.:-abduct

Guest R_Driscoll

Glidernut, you should be shot, preferably with a digital, and instantly installed on the hall of fame. You certainly liven things up.RobD.

Robert,I offered to shoot glidernut a few days ago, but he didn't seem to appreciate the gesture ! :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Cristian,I think that FU1 actually attempted to calculate the effects of airflow over the wings. Therefore, certain flight characteristics of particular planes could be modelled more realistically, since the planes were simply "reacting" the way they would in real life (assuming that they had been constructed properly). Most flight simulators "cheat", which means that they are "programmed" to react in certain ways, but FU1 did the necessary calculations in real time...and the flight models were therefore governed by the laws of physics, rather than daft lookup tables.It's about time that Microsoft did something like this in their flight simulator. If Looking Glass could do it eight years ago on a 486, then it should be a breeze on a 3Ghz Pentium 4 ! :-eek Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Quaxo

"If Looking Glass could do it eight years ago on a 486, then it should be a breeze on a 3Ghz Pentium 4 !" ...Well, Chris, not if their main concern is to render 50.000 polygons planes, with 1000's of 3D scenery model... They always tend (IMO) to improve the look of the sim, not the feel. And no computer is fast enough if you continue to improve the looks... :-)Cristian

Thanks all for the input. Glidernut, no offence meant or taken. Thought the other threads were done. PS, hope no one shoots you, seems to go against the grain of a civil-avaiation board :-)

Very true Cristian. It's the little touches that make FU3 feel so much better than MSFS, like the realistic turbulence.Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

There you are! Glidernut, people all around the world want to shoot you. What's it like being so famous? - does the papparazi bother you? And I'm still jealous of the Glidernut academy! As soon as I get my new hangar put together I'm still going into competition. And I need a glider. And learn how to fly them. And a runway. And ... oh bother.See ya,RobD.

Guest R_Driscoll

On realism ...Chris, I know San Fran is great. But sometime, you have to pay a visit to Seattle again! Take a flight from Ranger's Creek or Eastern State, and fly in a little GA plane around the snow peaks. Feel the airlift, the downdrafts on the cold lakes, get trapped in dead-end U-shaped valleys, with massive walls all around you, the difficult approaches to little runways buried in trees. Just come up and visit the Cascades some time. I know the snow is a bit yellow, but forget that - just enjoy the incredible sense of being in this majestic wilderness. RobD.