Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

sensitive jumping of Saitek Cybork 3D digital controls.

I've had the Saitek Cybork 3D digital joystick for ages now (not the USB version, but the one that plugs into the gamesport in the back). It's a great joystick, but it has the following problem: every few seconds, the controls flicker. For example when taxing, if I leave the joystick alone, the aircraft will taxi in a straight line for a few seconds, then suddenly jolt to the left or right, because of the flicker.If you go to configure the joystick, you can see in the calibration section, that the controls (on all axes) are constantly jumping.Is there a way to resolve this?Thanks in advanceSunil Mulay

It sounds very much like 'noise' affecting the controls.Usually caused by worn or dirty potentiometers (see below) used in joysticks and/or by stray electrical signals getting into the system.You say the Cybork is 'digital', it depends what is meant by digital. I used to use a digital Logitech Wingman stick, this uses optical movement sensors (a bit like mice use) instead of potentiometers and these are less prone to 'noise' because there are no bits to get dirty or worn like pots.If your stick uses pots and is 3-4 years old, and you are happy about pulling it apart (and putting it back together again :-)) you could try cleaning the pots with a proprietary cleaner.Not a lot you can do to cure the problem but you can mask it.You can try setting larger null zones on the axis affected, better still:-Download FSUIPC by Pete Dowson and use the joystick setting utility in it. Be sure to read the documentation, especially the bit about the fs2002.cfg file, to get the best out of this excellent bit of software.Hope this helps

Guest SoarPics

My recently deceased Saitek X36 was developing the same problems, and I have to agree with Vulcan's analysis to the tee.Clean it (will make a difference... for a while) or trash it.Good luck,

first of all thanks for your replies.just checked my joystick manual. it says it uses Ratio-Digital technology - whatever that means.I recall reading somewhere that it uses the optical method you refer to, so I'm not sure cleaning will do much.Could you advise me what exactly I need to set in the Joystick settings in FSUIPC, Vulcan?Many thanks again.SSunil Mulay

>I recall reading somewhere that it uses the optical method you refer to, so I'm not sure cleaning will do much.Could you advise me what exactly I need to set in the Joystick settings in FSUIPC, Vulcan

Yes, I have it installed, and I've just read the documentation, and it's quite a mindfull. I'm going to plough through the joystick section carefully today, and try and sort it out. Thanks again. If there's any special instructions/suggestions you can give me re "noise", then those would be welcome. Also, I'm considering allocating a small range on the throttle for reverse thrust. Have you tried this and have any experiences to share?Thanks again.SSunil Mulay

Hi Sunil,First thing to do is open fs2002.cfg and go to the section {JOYSTICK_MAIN}The first line should readAXIS_EVENT 00=AXIS_AILERONS_SETAbove this line but below {JOYSTICK_MAIN} enterLOCKED=1(Note: '{' are square brackets.)For each of the axis you see, usually Ailerons, Elevator, Rudder, & Throttle SetAXIS_SCALE_NN=64AXIS_NULL_NN=0 where 'NN' is a number from 00 to 07All you are changing are the values to '64' & '0'What this does is lock the joystick configuration so that FS cannot change the values and sets the axis range to a reasonable figure for FSUIPC to work with.Next start FS and open FSUIPC from the 'Modules' menu.Click on the 'Joysticks' Tab and read through the set-up procedure.Basically all you do is click on the reset button for each axis and move your stick full range a couple of times on that axis just to 'settle' it down.To use the elevator as an example.Move the stick fully forward and watch the numbers change under one of the 'set' buttons. See which number changes and hold the stick fully forward, press the 'set' button above the window whose value has changed.Now let the stick return to centre and press the centre 'set' button; do the same when pulling the stick fully backwards and press the other 'set' button and again let the stick centre and press the centre 'set' button a second time.This will have set up the values for full range travel and centre positions and you will probably see 2 different values in the centre box.Now to set a 'null' range at the centre of the elevator travel move the stick slightly forward and press the centre 'set' button, then move the stick slightly backwards off the centre position and press the centre 'set' button again.The 'null' zone is the area where you can move the stick without it having any effect on the elevator in FS.If you took this 'null' zone to extremes by pushing the stick fully forward and pressing the centre 'set' button and then fully back and pressing 'set' you would end up with no elevator control.Now do the same to all the other axis your stick controls.The throttle is slightly different.On 'page' one of the joystick settings you will see a throttle section with a check box 'Map to 4 throttles'.Check this box then go to 'page' 3 which is titled '3 of 6. Separate throttles per engine'Go through the same procedure as you did with the elevator for the 'throttle 1' section to set your throttle range.Now on to reverse thrust.On my X36 there is a detent near full forward and backward movement to indicate afterburners and reverse thrust. If there are no physical indications on your stick you may have difficulty finding where idle throttle stops and reverse begins but to set up.....You are basically setting a large 'null' zone.Bring the throttle back to the 'idle' position and press the centre 'set' button, it should show a large negative value.Pull the throttle all the way back and click the left hand 'set' button.Now move the throttle forward until just before the 'idle' position and press the centre 'set' button again.The two centre values should be different, this allows a 'null' zone between idle and reverse so that you don't accidentally go into reverse thrust when you want idle.All the above sounds complicated but once you have done one axis and seen how things change the rest is easy because it is just a repeat process.You may have to play around with the null zone settings to get rid of any noise, just get the zones as small as you can.Once happy with the process it should take no more than about 5 minutes to set all 3 or 4 (with rudders) axis.See screen shot.Hope this helps, any questions post back.If this does not cure the problem then it is either a poor connection to your gameport or the route your stick cable takes, but that is unlikely.Rgds

Geez Vulcan, you've sure gone out of your way to help!! Thanks a lot, really appreciate it... I'll try it out today.Thanks again. p.s. I'm also downloading the Copenhagen scenery right now. Hope it's good.RegardsSunil Mulay