Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

New aircraft in the hangar - the Dash-8 has landed

Jon,Don't worry about the registration.....I like G-JEDI :-) However, if you want any authentic BA Dash 8-300 registrations, I can easily get them for you.With respect to landing behind an AI 737, I have always found that attempting this behind an airliner results in a MASSIVE amount of extra lift......resulting in me flying over the top of it !I would like to make one or two extra points here about the aircraft.When the Dash 8 is initialised on final approach to an airport, it initially DROPS LIKE A STONE ! Can this be corrected ? Sometimes I like to test approach and landings of particular aircraft, but this is extremely difficult to do at the moment with the Dash 8.It seems incredibly easy to roll the aircraft. Should it feel quite this light ? It is far easier to roll than the Beechjet, and even easier than the KingAir 350.What I will say is that it is extremely stable in flight, and it certainly looks the business.Oh, and one final point. I don't know how you did it, but I want to thank you for including a set of cockpit views that don't have a single "bleed through line" in them. Well done !Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest qvdg

Once again excellent work Jon. With respect to the handling like Chris I have also noticed that it has a high roll rate. It is also very reponsive in pitch. I must admit I only had the chance to try it yesterday for 5 minutes.Thanks for adding this great new aircraft to our FU3 hangar. Put your feet up a bit before starting on the Tigermoth ;-)QvdG

Guest Quaxo

What? WHAT?!?!? A Tigermoth?!? Jon, are you going to make a TIGERMOTH? Oh my, I didn't even have the time to try the Dash 8 and I hear about a biplane... (or is it just Quentin's dream?)Cristian <-- drooling...

Guest jonpoint

A Tiger Moth?Quentin IS dreaming... ;)Chris,Yes, the 'approach' trim settings in the flight model aren't quite right. The problem is, every time you alter any characteristic in the aircraft, you have to go back and fine-tune these 'trim' settings afterwards :-grr Oh, by 'fine-tune' I mean 'trial and error':-grr :-grrI welcome anyone to have a go at it and come up with some better values. What I need is someone (conversant with flight model editing) to just concentrate on 'approach' trim settings for a few days and get the values right. The main one here is elevator trim however, throttle settings also affect it.I tried to decrease the roll-rate by moving mass outwards but it had little effect. In some ways it appears that, regardless of the flight model settings, FU3 still thinks the Dash-8 has a small envelope :-( Full tanks slows it a bit more, if you haven't tried that.As to my next venture... A bit of gliding then a Dash-6 (Twin Otter)!!Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest jonpoint

Sorry Folks, I didn't get to answer everything before I hit the button." It seems that the engines keep pulling even when you don't want them to. Whether this is realistic or not I find that Jon's Dash 8 sports some of those characteristics, despite being based on a piston engine model. In any event, flaps set things straight and are required even for long runways."Please make sure you don't attempt to adjust pitch whilst running! This is because the flight model engine settings are modified for 'auto' pitch. Just before touchdown, ensure the throttle is pulled to ZERO. Why the caps? Because MY CH yoke does not always return the throttle to zero but just a bit above. Two taps on the '+' key will give 20-30kts on the ground so it is CRITICAL. If you pull the pitch 'back', you will have lots of trouble stopping. DO NOT feather the props until you are about to shut them down ;)I hope this helps :-):-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Jon wrote: Just before touchdown, ensure the throttle is pulled to ZERO. Why the caps? Because MY CH yoke does not always return the throttle to zero but just a bit above. Two taps on the '+' key will give 20-30kts on the ground so it is CRITICAL. If you pull the pitch 'back', you will have lots of trouble stopping.Yes, there have been innumerous discussions on this on FS 2002 forums. People using keyboard commands for throttle see no problems while those with a yoke throttle experience "run away" turboprop performance. It's a bit strange that keyboard versus yoke throttle makes so much difference with turboprops and not with piston aircraft. And, it's even stranger that you modeled those same characteristics using a piston aircraft base model.Hans Petter

Jon,If that's the case, how did Ansgar model the weight of the 747 so well ?Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Congrats again Jon .... Nice smooth flying bird !Nose gear steering a little overly sensitive, rudder is fine.Positive criticism as always.

Guest andy9164

Jon,This is an absolutely fabulous plane. I went for a quick flight round the UK South last night and fully enjoyed the experience. I think its safe to say that all your hard work has paid off and we now have yet another superb plane to fly.Big thanks for all your efforts.Andy

Hi Jon,:) I flew on your Dash-8 to Cardiff:-halo. It is with him which I tested the new track that Andy made me. Superb kinematics of the landing gear, and superb apparatus. I of course will paint one with the British color of them. Thank you and Jon cheer, you made us a marvellous gift... Cordially, Luc:+ Hi Jon,:)J'ai vol